Walmart Reviews in Minnesota | Glassdoor

3.3
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work" (in 1348 reviews)

• "Best environment, work life balance" (in 280 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance sometimes not there" (in 801 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1157 reviews)

"Thoughts on Working as an Order Filler"

Current Employee - Walmart DC Order Filler in Mankato, MN
    Current Employee - Walmart DC Order Filler in Mankato, MN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's fast paced, the day flies by.
    The pay is great, lots of voluntary overtime, lots of opportunities to advance. If you have credit card bills to pay off you're going to love the paychecks. If you're motivated and in good shape you can stand to make a lot of money.

Cons

It can be very cold, invest in some good footwear (they don't have to be boots). The boxes can be heavy. If you're having an off day it doesn't matter, you still have to make production. There's some leeway with that though.
    It is hard labor. You're going to lose some weight (though that might not be a con).

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

2. "Room to grow if you're a sheep!"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Bemidji, MN
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Bemidji, MN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Highest paying retail store in the area. Coworkers are willing to help, and care. Great incentives with programs like "MyShare".

Cons

Favoritism and retaliation are very much real and alive. Often setup to fail, as process is never on tract. ASM, Co-Manager, and Store Manager often give different conflicting directions which in return causes confusion.

Advice to Management

Encourage your team and make them feel as though they are important and let them know that they truly do make the difference, if they don’t put their best in and don’t care then the store will surely reflect that

3. "Ok Job"

Current Employee - Cap Team Supervisor in Woodbury, MN
    Current Employee - Cap Team Supervisor in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy, dont have to think to much.

Cons

Managers can be really dumb and you can be understaffed.

4. "Pretty decent, if you have a good manager"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lunches are crazy long, an eight hour shift having an hour long lunch and two 15 minute breaks is amazing and I admit I was spoiled

Not too difficult

Cons

Hours aren't consistent and dealing with people not scheduled to assist the department can be a pain.

Doing the team lift by yourself

Safety hazard grabbing shelving from the back room using a ladder and your will to live another day sometimes.

Advice to Management

With poor management, the store can really suffer when it shouldn't. Before I left I had an ASM who did such a poor job during our remodeling that it was delayed because of poor communication between him, other managers and the supplies we needed that it was delayed and was a huge pain to employees and customers. I've seen Walmart run smoothly and it definitely can under the right guys.

5. "Apparel Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Apparel Sales Associate in Litchfield, MN
    Current Employee - Apparel Sales Associate in Litchfield, MN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Generous PTO package
    Friendly environment
    Friendly associates

Cons

Full-time doesn't guarantee 40 hrs.
    New scheduling system can be very annoying

Advice to Management

Giving experienced full-time associates part-time hrs won't cut it.

6. "Family friendly"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cloquet, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cloquet, MN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are amazing, store is very clean

Cons

If you get actually sick even with doctors note the managers take you of the schedule

Advice to Management

If someone has a doctors note and an otherwise good record of attendance, don't be so hard on them

7. "Bakery"

Current Employee - Baker in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Baker in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Points attendance not good enough management

Cons

Management long hours made to do a lot in a short amount of time

Advice to Management

Sucks

8. "Doua Zong Vue"

Former Freelancer - Part Time Crew Member in Crystal, MN
    Former Freelancer - Part Time Crew Member in Crystal, MN

I worked at Walmart (Less than a year)

Pros

I am really dedicated at what I’m working at and I like helping people out.

Cons

Somtime I can be kinda slow and may not get things right a way.

Advice to Management

It is important to get all perspectives before making a big decision.

9. "Is Walmart Too Large? Department Store , Grocery Store and Walking Restaurant"

Former Employee - Deli Sales Associate in Austin, MN
    Former Employee - Deli Sales Associate in Austin, MN

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay. Full time hours mostly.

Cons

Worked full time hours but classified as part time 6+ months maybe so I wouldn't cost them insurance money, 50, every month, because, Walmart doesn't make enough.
    Assistant Manager would call me into different offices and would lie about number of customers I served in "coaching" report because she was a bully.
    Co-Manager/Shift Managers demanded we bake an extra round of chickens at 5pm, even though logs said to stop.
    AM demanded we stop serving cheese curds with $5 meal plates, because the AM decided so.
    Manager demanded the deli workers stop CVPing the chickens at 4 hours, freeze, and sell at full price because they decided so.
    Management demanded us to keep cheese opened 14 days, instead of 6 days when I started and cheese would crumble when I sliced it, probably to save money in labor costs and the customers would blame me because I knew it was a bad change but no one cared.
    Two 2-11 shifts would ended to save costs.
    Managers stopped scheduling a 11-8 coworker to the normal 2-11 shift, because managers decided that it wasn't needed and when there was too much work or customers, it was just a performance issue, never understaffing.
    Assistant manager demanded I freeze a whole round chickens because it was football night and she was gonna come back around midnight to cool freezer, but then she changes her mind and they had to throw out all the chickens the next day.
    Assistant manager told me I couldn't leave the deli because I was all alone, and so I got no breaks.
    I had to take me meal breaks 1 hour after I punched in, because I was scheduled to work alone in the deli from 3pm-11pm because no one else was scheduled.
    There would be to much work to finish before 11pm, so had to stay late, and take it out of my lunch and leave some other worker all alone from 5-6:30 pm the next day, which I wasn't suppose to do either.
    The AM demanded we stop using cling wrap over the salads, and we had to use bakery paper.
    Many time no supplies because the deli manager didn't notice that.
    Management forced us to stop CVPing the hot products in the hot case, because management demanded it.

Advice to Management

Stop bullying the associates to make the next managerial bonus.

10. "Would not recommend working here"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Detroit Lakes, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Detroit Lakes, MN

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid time off, summer differential

Cons

Stress, horrible work/home balance, job not worth the pay

Advice to Management

Schedule enough cashiers and customer service associates, and quit blaming CSMs for problems caused by a lack of scheduled employees. Stop piling jobs on CSMs and still expecting them to be able to constantly monitor lines. Stop being condescending, your employees are not stupid and don't deserve to be spoken to as if they are. Teach some radio etiquette and better teamwork, most of the store has zero respect for your front end team and it was very obvious CSMs were looked down on by DMs and management. Make a more pleasant work environment and maybe you wouldn't have such horrible turnover. And follow your set policies! It makes your employees look/feel stupid when they try to enforce policy and you come along and overrule them to break it and give customers their way. There's no point in even writing policies if they won't be followed.

Showing 258 of 37,393 reviews