Walmart Reviews in Missoula, MT | Glassdoor

Doug McMillon
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is challenging at times" (in 884 reviews)

• "Your practically work full-time hour with no benifits" (in 1188 reviews)

1. "assistant manager"

Current Employee - Homelines Zone Merchandiser in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Homelines Zone Merchandiser in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, my share, great place to work, competitive salary, room for advancement

Cons

can not think of any

2. "Department Manager, Homelines"

Current Employee - Homelines Department Manager in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Homelines Department Manager in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get a job there
    If you work hard you will thrive

Cons

Management treats hourly employees like they are stupid
    Rules for every little thing
    Not enough people to do all the work
    High turnover

Advice to Management

Ruling by intimidation only makes employees work just hard enough not to get fired.

3. "Poor hours, mistreated associates"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you work hard and do what you need to you can qualify for higher laid positions

Cons

Walmart doesn't schedule nearly enough staff so your always short staffed which is upsetting to the customer and always being told to get cbl's done and do things you never signed up for in your job code.

Advice to Management

Talk to the managers and reteach them the meaning of professionalism and how to correct issues without threats and mistreatment.

4. "Be cautious about accepting this position"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Missoula, MT

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair pay and benefits. Walmart is a successful corporation and Walmart stock is a good investment

Cons

I have worked for many years in management and this was one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Never enough staff if you care and want to run a great store. Managed by crisis every day. Assistant manager is =slave labor. Asst mgr picks up every task that hourly associates can't get done so not much managing happening, just unlimited tasking. They tell you one of their benefits is paid holidays but don't expect to ever get them. You are expected to work extra days all the time,all year long with little or no notice. Could not get a requested day off even with a month or more notice. Plan on having no life if you choose to work here. All upper management is very stressed and negative. Told to train myself, but later told I asked too many questions. You are expected to train yourself by osmosis and looking up what you can find on their outdated defunct computer system. My superior told me people from outside never make it at Walmart. Working at Walmart dumbed down skills that I did have because you are only a grunt in their system. I noticed that hourly associates at the department manager or shift supervisor level often refuse promotion if offered because the small raise in pay that they would get did not justify working the crazy schedule and no work life balance at asst mgr level and they see how hard assistants are worked. Lots of turnover at the assistant manager level is telling it's own story.

Advice to Management

Treat people like humans who have families and lives outside of work. Salaried assistants need to have a work schedule posted at least 2 weeks in advance and need to be able to request a day off. Treat managers like they are a valuable asset to the company and invest training time in them. Give more positive reenforcment--it's free and would save you $$$ in the long run by reducing turnover.

5. "Former Cashier"

Former Employee - Walmart Cashier in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Walmart Cashier in Missoula, MT

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pays decently for the area starting, you get basic skills with cashiering, customer service, and stocking.

Cons

Some of the customers are abhorrent and you have to be a COMPLETE pushover, no matter what.

Advice to Management

CSMs are great, higher ups are kind of condescending just talking to you.

6. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Electronics in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Electronics in Missoula, MT

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was a fun place to work. Nice environment, good benefits, decent pay, nice coworkers. Requesting days off is very easy in the computer system. I enjoyed my job there every day.

Cons

Corporation/management could be too critical. You could get in real trouble for forgetting to clock in and out a few times and could even get fired for it among other very minor incidents. You can get "written up" for any and every tiny little thing. As such, it can be fairly easy to get fired there, and they may not even give you a warning in some cases. They really don't care if they destroy your life and take away your livelihood.

Advice to Management

Don't write anyone up for forgetting to clock in/out or other insignificant/minor incidents. And above all, don't just fire someone with no warning and take everything away from them based on a single incident. Always use the coaching levels. At the very least use a "decision day" coaching for severe incidents. Consider your employee's previous good service and give them a warning. Try and think of your employees as actual humans with actual lives that matter before you just terminate them with no warning.

"Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, starting pay was generous given my 20+years of retail experience.

Cons

Expected to work without a day off if freight is backed up. Expect to give up all paid holidays as they work you if they need you and they always will need you during every holiday with no comp. days. You work at the whim of your direct supervisor. Training is poor to non-existant. You are expected to train yourself. Technology with this company is drastically behind the times. This is evident in the poor customer service and out of stock position that Walmart has a reputaion for. Customers shop at Walmart for the low prices not service or in stock. You have to put up with a lot of crabby customers, high theft, and unhappy associates. Upper management all seem to have different and often conflicting agendas. I was told by my direct supervisor that I made too much money and I should be working tons of overtime to justify my pay. You will have to give up your entire life to work here so make sure you don't have any family obligations or social life.

Advice to Management

A management position with this company may be a good opportunity for you if you work your way up from the hourly ranks. If you come from outside expect to struggle in the chaos of super high volume and resentment from others. The "good ol' boy" network thrives here. Not everyone makes as much as I do so make sure you negotiate a salary that makes it worth your while as you will be expected to sacrifice a great deal.

8. "no loyalty"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Missoula, MT

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers are very nice people. Drecent wage .

Cons

Hard to get decent hours. Hours always being cut. Not enough employees for the size of store. Angry customers.

Advice to Management

Hire enough people and treat them better.

9. "Walmart Sales"

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Missoula, MT

I worked at Walmart (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not difficult to get hired.

Cons

Walmarts business model centers around decisions based on numbers evaluated by management in Arkansas main office. This means that individuals at a given store have no input and are expected to simply do as they are told, regardless of what effect that may have.
    When the increase in wages for starting employees was put into practice, the merit pay for existing employees was adjusted down, presumably to cover the cost of increases.
    Management at all levels simply patronize all employees and each other. Employees and managers alike cannot rely on promises made to them. Schedules are unbelieveably irregular and even when an employee is promised a certain schedule, it invariably changes and many times for no good reason. Full time employees seldom work more than 32 to 35 hours per week.
    Managers do not back up employees when dealing with unreasonable customers. An employee can be terminated simply on a complaint from a customer. And customers are largely poor and poorly educated and are many times very difficult to deal with.

Advice to Management

Management of the walmart stores has made many rich, regardless of the hardships it continues to visit on its people. I am sure nothing I would suggest would translate to any better working conditions for the hard working and in some cases, desperate employees.

10. "Wal-Mart is a horrible company to work for."

Former Employee - Cashier in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Missoula, MT

Pros

Easy work, nice people, fair dress code

Cons

Managers are rude, no pay raises no matter how long you've been there, you request a day off over a month in advance and its approved but then when the schedule comes out you're scheduled to work that day.

Advice to Management

Get a grip!

Showing 11 of 40,417 reviews