Walmart Reviews in Nashville, TN | Glassdoor

2.7
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work" (in 1348 reviews)

• "Best environment, work life balance" (in 280 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance sometimes not there" (in 801 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1157 reviews)

1. "Meat /frozen/dairy department manager"

Current Employee - Meat/Frozen/Dairy Department Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Meat/Frozen/Dairy Department Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the pros to working with Wal-Mart is they are Flexible wirh your scheduling when needed (dont abuse it), my share bonuses, benefits, promotions, teamwork, good base pays, good annual raises,

Cons

Some of the cons can be you have those who lower moral, complain, no holiday pay, and high turn over (due to people's work ethic these days is terrible).

Advice to Management

Please Complain up. Do not vent to hourly associates or become a friend instead of a leader. Do not coach an associate then spread the news on the salesfloor this lowers trust and moral.

2. "ASM"

Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People I work with, serving customers being able to help others and teaching.

Cons

Corporate not putting back into the employs, giving market position to those that have no skill running a market or putting them in place using the buddy system. To unstable, to many changes at the moment.

Advice to Management

Your workers are your front line, they give the experience to the customer of being a Walmart shopper. They need to be taken care of. The Bell Curve does not work. Not all ASM are solid, some are exceeds and others are roll models, these do not get handed out in are market.

3. "Do not work here"

Former Employee - Toys Associate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Toys Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some friendly coworkers and easy to get to on the bus route

Cons

Lack of communication between Dept. Manager and workers, lack of organization of items in store, lack of care from those at the top.. Probably the worst Wal-Mart i've been to and that's saying something.

Advice to Management

Make sure each dept. manager is actually there to help manage THEIR dept. Make sure that overnight and stockers in general know where things are supposed to go so that customers actually know how much things cost and so that restocking can be much easier.. Also let those that work part time actually work part time meaning don't work them 5 days a week with only 5 hours per day. Give them a full day hours that would fit with their part time status.

"Stay away"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with as far as associates

Cons

Constant change, no care for for associates and there outside life or responsibilities. Very stressful

Advice to Management

Treat associates with respect and realize our life isn’t Walmart

5. "Where do some of you work?"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Been with the company 11 years. I have seen many many changes (inventory processes changed 3 times, pay changes several times, people fired wrongfully numerous times, people hired and promoted to avoid discrimination numerous times, and many other things this little box can't hold). Each store is like a family (not a team) amongst associates and management if you invite it to be.

Cons

Sam Walton's theoretical beliefs are no longer followed. Don't believe me? Search quotes by Sam Walton and then ask yourself if they are still followed (if you're employed by WalMart). At one time it was company direction to have these quotes hanging in offices with his picture in the background. Not anymore though. Because it's no longer about associates or how they feel about the work environment. It's only about profit and how high they can make it. It's a business, I know. I have my degree in business so I understand the importance of profit. But I also understand how a business should balance employee satisfaction with profit. WalMart doesn't do that. It's all about money. Once again, this box will not hold everything I can say. How can you trust what I say? I am a salaried manager. Been in this job for 7 years now.

Advice to Management

Be open with all associates as much as possible. Not just about work, but also about anything personal, if they need or want to talk about it. Also to hourly associates, the information that your told, like jobs being eliminated or pay rate change, are generally told to management the day they are to be told to you. Not all the time, but a lot. Also, your pay is being increased, has been across the last 2 years. Reason being? So you can make the decisions of what needs to be done and the doing it. Not management making that decision and then fulfilling it. Not all stores are the same, I know. But upper management ( market and higher) are the ones that truly need to be in the con box. Instead of cutting jobs,like 17 co-managers, why doesn't our CEO take a little cut on his 26 million a year. If I could do that job for one year, I would be able to not work for the rest of my life.

6. "It’s what you make of it."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Move up the ladder quickly
    Great starting base pay
    Great company to work for because they care about their associates

Cons

Dealing with the public
    Dealing with a high turnover rate in employees. This is hard because you can’t teach and train and have consistency when everyone is quitting or getting fired.

7. "Come on time and then do work for the time, then stay after and put customers first."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours
    great first job so you realize the value of education

Cons

bad pay
    put up with a lot of people

Advice to Management

take care of the employees also, not just customers

8. "editorial"

Former Freelancer - Editorial Assistant in Nashville, TN
    Former Freelancer - Editorial Assistant in Nashville, TN

I worked at Walmart (Less than a year)

Pros

nice folks on the whole

Cons

no money but nice decor

Advice to Management

listen

9. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Pros

Great people and a nice place to work. I enjoyed my computer workers. The training was easy and flexible.

Cons

The schedule was different every week. I like to have a set schedule but it was not possible.

Advice to Management

Learn from your employees. They are the ones that work with the customers directly and know exactly the needs of the customers.

10. "Nice"

Former Employee - Stocker in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Stocker in Nashville, TN

I worked at Walmart (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice place to start a career

Cons

Not much to say here

Showing 39 of 37,337 reviews