Walmart Operations Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

Doug McMillon

"Assistant Manager"

Operations Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Walmart for more than 8 years

Pros

Walmart is an environment that strongly believes in developing those and preparing all for advancement within.

Cons

The direction that the company is going is not allowing work life balance to be openly available.

Advice to Management

Always remember that the vintage quote of "Your only as good as the team that you develop" is a motto to be engraved into ones work ethic.

Walmart2016-05-03
  2. "Honest Review"

Current Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunities are great and education is provided

Cons

Poor management in some areas

Walmart2019-01-27
  3. "Assistant Manager Operations"

Current Employee - Operations Assistant Manager in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

its a good learning experience for someone getting out of college or wanting to learn an in-depth analysis of business

Cons

Horrible life work balance. If your not truly committed to your job you may struggle vastly. A store manager can make or break your entire experience so hopefully the store you are sent to in a competent one. Be prepared for long hours during the holidays you will not work the posted schedule that you see expect to add another 2- 4 hours to that.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the processes given by corporate otherwise you will struggle

Walmart2015-08-27
  4. ""Respect for the Individual" is a thing of the past."

Former Employee - Operations Assistant Manager in Seneca, SC

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The only reason to ever consider Walmart is, if you are applying from the outside, management salaries are very competitive. However, if you promote from within, you gain nothing. Plus, if you already work for Walmart, hopefully, you know better than to apply for management. They are treated poorly and, in turn, treat hourly associates poorly.

Cons

As management, you are over worked. You never work ONLY your scheduled shift. Many store managers will work you far beyond your scheduled hours. My last store manager worked myself and other salaried managers over 16 hours a day. We were belittled and threatened with our jobs daily. There is no avenue for open door. If you decide to do that you will be met with a complete brick wall.....no help. In fact, you... will make your situation much worse. Any conversation you have with market office will be told to your store manager before you go in for your next shift. Good luck with that.

Advice to Management

Market level managers, store managers and asset protection managers should be required to change markets and/or stores at regular intervals. Working in the same store for many years is not only a negative for store sales/productivity, it also promotes poor/unfair employee relations. Many managers cannot see what is right before (integrity, etc.) because it may involve people they have worked with several years. ... Change is needed. Sam Walton would be ashamed of how people are treated

Walmart2014-04-10
  5. "I am a moving forward kind of guy, so Wal-Mart keeps me busy and satisfied with my results."

Assistant Manager - Operations in Martinsville, VA

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

I came to Wal-Mart during the res-session of 2008 after my business went under, I was able to move up very quickly so with in two years I was promoted to Assistant Manager. Wal-Mart is one of the few companies where job security is obtainable as long as you push to succeed and grow with the company.

Cons

As a new management associate I have seen the work world out side of wal-mart, and been a business owner. So fresh eyes and management skills are a plus but is not taken good by veteran management. Someone like myself who has owned a business and focused on customer service and the creation of positive action plans is not looked at well with in a store.

Advice to Management

Be open minded that new associates may actually have a good idea that will work to fix a consistently flawed program. Loose the tunnel vision and take corrective criticism and remember that the definition of insanity is " doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Walmart2011-10-05