Walmart Overnight Stocker Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work" (in 1406 reviews)

• "Full marks for work life balance" (in 291 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance sometimes not there" (in 840 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1168 reviews)

1. "Overnight Stocker"

Former Employee - WalMart Overnight Stocker in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - WalMart Overnight Stocker in Irvine, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great career incentives, benefits, overall one of the best companies to work.

Cons

More breaks, or longer breaks.

Advice to Management

Promote faster, and training should be more one on one.

2. "Gm Stocker"

Current Employee - Overnight GM/Grocery Stocker in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Overnight GM/Grocery Stocker in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working retail gives you good experience.

Cons

Getting into an auto accident on your day off from work is a bad thing.

Advice to Management

Nothing. Works great the way it is.

3. "Overnight Stocker"

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Woodstock, GA
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Woodstock, GA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The variety of tasks and the opportunity to advance within the company.

Cons

Difficult and overly intrusive individuals.

Advice to Management

Management there are awesome mentors.

"10 Years, Various Responsibilities, Primary Overnight Cashier"

Former Employee - Overnight Cashier/Stocker in Moberly, MO
    Former Employee - Overnight Cashier/Stocker in Moberly, MO

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of variety, always work to do, little boredom. Between customers, stock front end shelves. After rush times, sent to go stock different departments. If you like to work with your hands, help customers, learn new things, race the clock, you'll enjoy Walmart. If all work together, it can be fun. Challenging, but fun.

Cons

Too much work, not enough employees per shift- must choose between stocking and zoning assigned areas, or helping customers. Source of frustration. Management overwhelmed- it fell on dept managers to make sure ENTIRE store zoned for next shift- impossible- therefore stress, poor attitudes, impatience. But still, very nice people to work with, usually. Some CSMs had lousy attitudes- you never did enough, fast enough. But if necessary, upper management would step in if you ask, and mediate or chasten. Just do your job. Be respectful. Cooperate. Then management know that if you complain, your complaint is genuine.

Advice to Management

Having worked along side of dept managers and co-managers, I see that they do not slack off; they work as hard as anyone else. Most do not act like they are above anyone else. They do the best they can with what THEIR boss gives them. Corporate needs to do work at store level so they can see the reality of what they create with new policies. Some things just DO NOT WORK! Hire more people. Your customers need more staff. Start putting your pride above saving a few dollars. Walmart has fallen in recent years. It's reputation online is a joke. Corporate- you can and should do better.

5. "Some stores do not reflect the values of the company as a whole"

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Austin, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always a job there if you need it/want something part time.
    The foundation Wal-mart is built on is great.
    Willing to place people in management jobs from associate level fairly quickly.

Cons

Due to the fact that they're willing to place associates into management so quickly you end up with a lot of inexperienced and inept managers who lack the people skills to actually manage. I don't believe this is indicative of the company as a whole but I worked here twice over the course of my adult life and saw this at both stores but more predominantly at the second one. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt on the former and say this is normal and the managers needed time to "grow into" their roles.

The management promotions aren't available for everyone despite some associates displaying great leadership qualities and capabilities. It seems to be something random they throw out there to "keep the dream alive"

There were several ethics issues at this store and turnover was high.

Rumor mills/drama at all levels. Extremely unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Value the employees that display high functioning skills and good leadership qualities and train them well to take on management roles.

Clean house on managers who are displaying problematic qualities/poor leaders there's a reason you can't keep associates at this particular store in Austin, Texas.

Set realistic standards for your employees and use more positive reinforcement. Especially in Austin, TX people frankly aren't going to tolerate being bad mouthed by a manager when they can quit and find a job in two days that pays more or if they have employment elsewhere and this is just part time or extra income.

Staff your stores and keep your associates employed. The store I worked at was massively understaffed and instead of that being openly known as a problem when work wasn't finished associates were typically brow beaten for the problem despite not having any control over employee retention and hiring trends.

Hire more managers with soft skills/people skills or send some to a management course that focuses on these skills and develops them.

Make sure your managers are willing to be "hands on". I report to a director at my primary place of employment and when we have an overflow of work she has no problem stepping in and helping, as a good manager would. This quality was severely lacking at this store.

Don't hold associates accountable for management issues. They have no control over the management of the store and never will. If you can't keep employees maybe look to your management team and start there.

At the end of the day, either listen to the feedback of someone with more professional experience than most of your managers or leave the problems and let them fester until your "home office" comes in and deals with the problem which you may not want because that may end with the termination of your management team.

As of writing this you not only lost an employee (I resigned) but you also lost a customer, I shop at HEB exclusively now in Austin after my experience here after seeing the poor behavior several managers (Assistant, Support, Co-Managers) displayed.
    Again I don't believe this is indicative of Wal-Mart as a whole but what I witnessed at this store.

If anyone from corporate (home office) is so inclined, I would look closely into your 35 and Parmer location in Austin, Texas.

Thank you.

6. "Wolly world"

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee become friends and family

Cons

Off schedule not enough pay

Advice to Management

Barely

7. "It all depends on the location"

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Aiken, SC
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Aiken, SC

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working graveyard has a shift differential and a guaranteed minimum of 32 hours a week.

Cons

Go to the wrong location and your life will be made a living hell. Make sure you're asking around about each individual location because some of them are excellent.

Advice to Management

Don't push longtime employees out the door just because you don't want to have to pay out raises and benefits.

8. "Walmart overnight"

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good breaks, pay is alright

Cons

Too much work not enough people

"cashier/overnight stocker"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier/Overnight Stocker in Arlington, WA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier/Overnight Stocker in Arlington, WA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

co workers front end cashiers are like family and regular customers

Cons

rude customers, your honesty is dismissed with managment team about theft their additude about theft is "nothing we can do about it don.t accuse them of stealing: even though as employee is an eyewitness to the theft, Also employees are not allowed use another customer as an eye witness to another customer that is bulling you as the employee and another customer who is a eyewintess is willing to testify of the bulling act of another customer; management refuse to listen to eyewitness account. management is write up happy. Have to show a bully rude obnoxious customer as employee show your afraid by hiding behind the register in tobacco register, while you figure how get a mananger to help you out . while you place yourself in front of the bully customer not allowed to defend yourself or you get written up. take care of customers even though you told to go on break by a manager but they want you still help a customers at your register even though there are self checkout registers at overnight and you go past your break time and managers refuse to help to let you go on break. they go disappear in back and there's no front end csm to help you on front end. And store manager has same policy Assistant mangers do not take part of cashiering to help with the customers their job is to run the store not back up cashier is not their job.

Advice to Management

use eyewitness account let employee defend to a bully customer trust the employee hear them out. care more about the theft in the store. Team means jump in at front register and release cashiers to breaks don't walk away and refuse to help. more you take care of your associates the more the better customer service the employee will do when you take care of your employees. accept different strength and weakness in each individually to make a whole team.Don't except everyone do work the same pace and be same flower. We are diverse that what makes us great. please stop expecting the work load finished by lunch time. stop expecting to work 60 box's per hour is very unreasonable when dealing with the public. The customer service is the lowest expection to employee when the employee is expected to finish his or her work by lunch time and 60 box's per hour to be done. Stop comparing your self what you can do and comparing each employee to another employee work skills.that's poor management skills and not accepting our differences as employees.

10. "Stocker"

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Marlin, TX
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Marlin, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good job. Really enjoyed working there

Cons

A mix up with my Aunts funeral ended with me being terminated. It really was upsetting to me to lose my job.

Advice to Management

I think you should consult with your employees before terminating them. That gives the employee a chance to explain their position, and explain why they weren’t available for work.