Walmart Produce Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Teams run very lean which leads to a poor work life balance (in 642 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to be gradfathered in or be a manager (in 1020 reviews)

1. "Produce Sales"

Former Employee - Produce Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Produce Sales Associate

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's simple, nice pay and some employees are a delight.

Cons

Way to many managers and lack of communication between them. They tell you one thing then they do another and since they dont communicate it can lead to consequences falling on you.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees, stop making them feel disposable, everything is not always the employees fault and communicate with other managers,

2. "I'm Grateful They Hired Me, But I Hate This Company"

Former Employee - Produce Sales Associate in Dacula, GA
    Former Employee - Produce Sales Associate in Dacula, GA

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent for retail, and they will usually give you sufficient hours. There is often lots of work to do, so you will be able to keep busy.

Cons

Aside from Walmart being a hideously evil corporation, you will also be asked to go above and beyond by managers who do not care about you and will treat you as though you are incompetent. It's just not a positive working environment. They also have a very strict attendance policy.

Advice to Management

Hire new management, and try not to treat your workers like they're idiots.

3. "Poor management, poor maintenance, poor employee attitudes, and low compensation."

Former Employee - Produce Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Produce Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Walmart gives you plenty of part-time hours and will even work with your schedule from another job. They're good about giving you breaks and often have a very laid back attitude toward training, giving new employees a lot of leeway when it comes to mistakes. Part-time there can be a breeze if you only want to work a very limited amount of hours.

Cons

The management can get very pushy and make you do tasks you're not comfortable with on a regular basis. Their training material is so lax that sometimes, you just have to figure things out on your own, even as a new employee. The pay is not very competitive for how much you have to deal with when you become full-time. Full-time hours are very sporadic, requiring you to adjust your schedule just to get close to 40 hours. It's hard to balance working at Wal-Mart with a social life. Benefits are very costly and do not give you adequate coverage... except maybe vision insurance, but even that required me to pay out-of-pocket to get some rather simple glasses. I only had healthcare through them to avoid the tax penalty, but it was a crazy hit to my paychecks. The employee discount card barely discounted anything at all. The overall lighting of the stores is typically awful, making customers and employees alike very edgy. Terrible maintenance made all jobs in the store more frustrating. The academy being in the store upset a lot of customers and got in the way of daily routines countless times. Having to change where products are located on an almost daily basis is also very frustrating.

Advice to Management

Train new and old employees very thoroughly and recap hands-on training on a regular basis, maybe once a month for the first year. Don't push the academy non-sense on us. The academy does not need to be in the same building as customers! That is simply a nuisance during peak hours! When someone like myself, someone with college exp. and a tendency to get everything done and do it well, starts getting frustrated, listen to their complaints and try to give them a raise somehow instead of threatening and insulting them. Show the good employees some love and try to weed out the not-so-dedicated ones. I spent many years working for you guys only to be insulted and coached for something that wasn't even my job code and was something I did not want to be involved with. That should never happen. Treat employees with respect and never insult us when we're upset. I probably would have kept working for Wal-Mart if not for the way I was treated. I quit because a manager insulted me after forcing me to work in an area I was not wanting to work in, an area I wasn't really trained for, and an area I constantly said I did not want to be a part of.

4. "Produce Associate"

Former Employee - Produce Associate in Woodbury, NJ
    Former Employee - Produce Associate in Woodbury, NJ

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Overall good managers and good place to work

Cons

Some employees are not able to keep up their end of the work.

5. "produce"

Current Employee - Produce Associate in Gainesville, GA
    Current Employee - Produce Associate in Gainesville, GA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

job security / yearly increases percentage based raise

Cons

management is terrible/ during slow season years get cut to 35 hours a week even if your full time.

Advice to Management

listen to your workers

6. "Good place to work for a bit"

Former Employee - Produce Sales Associate in Connersville, IN
    Former Employee - Produce Sales Associate in Connersville, IN

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to work for a while. My fast food experience allowed me to walk into this job with a raise to $10.50/hr.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities overall and not a lot of training across departments. Most Sales Associates stay put in the departments they were hired in for.

7. "Wal-mart is an okay company to work"

Current Employee - Produce Associate in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Produce Associate in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offer good amount of hours for those willing to work.

Cons

They are more concerned about the bottom line then their associates.

Advice to Management

Care more about the employees then the customers.

8. "It is a joke"

Current Employee - Produce Associate in Jane, MO
    Current Employee - Produce Associate in Jane, MO

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

What is a pro about this job? Some people might have pros but I don't. I grew up in bentonville (the heart of Walmart) and have seen it grow and seen it grow into a mindless company.

Cons

To many list. The management is trash. If they had any logic maybe just maybe this company would have success. The associate get the worst end. They are encouraged to be positive and put on an obvious fake smile. I see it all the time and I disappoints me. And finally the customers. The NUMBER ONE person Walmart gives an actual crap about. The only real reason is because they carry money that fills the wallet of corporate and the lazy store managers. Seriously you can't fool anyone. All they truly care about is money and therefore customers are number one, above the associates that Sam Walton said were more important.

Advice to Management

Quit acting like you know it all. You guys used to be good at one point and now you just stand around and talk about non work related material, while yelling at other associates for doing it while actually working.

9. "Produce"

Current Employee - Produce Associate in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Produce Associate in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Walmart full-time

Pros

Not so strict as other areas are. The hours are good. Co workers are great to work with. Work load is easy.

Cons

Management doesn't realize things you can't do as in some things are just impossible but still order things just bc. Amount of pay doesn't amount to how much work you do. Not worth the labor.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't recommend advancing. This isn't my type of employment I want to keep and stay in. Short term place for me.

10. "Produce Associate"

Former Employee - Produce Associate in Woodbury, MN
    Former Employee - Produce Associate in Woodbury, MN

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the work it kept me busy all the time. I learned new things quite frequently.

Cons

Never seemed to be enough people there to get the job done. Very frustrating.

Advice to Management

Hire more reliable people so the job can get done in an efficient and timely manner.