Walmart Reviews in Reston, VA | Glassdoor

3.5
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work" (in 1406 reviews)

• "Full marks for work life balance" (in 291 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance sometimes not there" (in 840 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1168 reviews)

1. "Sr. Business Ops Mgr"

Current Employee - Senior Business Ops Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Ops Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The HR hiring process was seamless. I applied online through Linked In. Later that same day I recieved an email suggesting times for an initial interview. From there, I had a series of phone/zoom and in person interviews. I was hired in less than 30 days and negotiation were reasonable. Credit to the HR team, VP on site and my referral through Linked In. Walmart Labs in Reston, Virginia has built a strong team and planning more growth in the IT space. I highly recommend watching for openings if you are in the software engineering, cloud, or e-commerce space.

Cons

I didn’t think about this company sooner!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The leadership team is doing amazing work along with the teams in the stores and behind the scenes. I can see you never settle and are not afraid to try new things to continue winning across all channels.

2. "Mixed feelings"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Reston, VA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some good problems to solve.
    Good people to work with.
    Can have a healthy work life balance.

Cons

Gross mismanagement in the Reston office.
    Decisions are completely driven top down and managers are incapable of fighting them.
    People who just keep quiet regardless of what is happening in the organization are celebrated. Favoritism is rampant and it makes you question if it is even worth working there, knowing that your growth does not depend on your skills or contributions.

Advice to Management

Listen to criticism and make amends. Don't target individuals because they spoke up for what they believe is right.

3. "Small Office / Big Company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the Reston office of Walmart Labs feels like a much different company than headquarters. Management has placed a strong emphasis on cultivating a skilled, diverse team and it shows with the projects that we are executing on

Cons

You still work for Walmart which, as a huge Fortune 1 company, can be a little bureaucratic and disorganized at time

Advice to Management

Keep bringing interesting work to our office

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Engineer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Adoption of new and emerging technologies in some teams
    - Flexible timings and work from home

Cons

- Terrible middle management
    - Terrible work-life balance
    - Unreasonable demands
    - Workaholics (only) welcome
    - No respect for the individual
    - Favoritism
    - Politics
    - Failure to communicate expectations
    - Biggest thing is forced ranking. Employees are forced into a bell curve. The "worst performing employees" are fired.

Advice to Management

I am pretty sure Sam Walton is turning in his grave thinking of what this company has become. People are your greatest asset. Value them. Focusing only weaknesses and ignoring strengths will get you nowhere. Fire the workaholics....really. They are the ones that ruin the work culture of an otherwise great company.

5. "Software Engineer(Internship)"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Reston, VA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Reston, VA

I worked at Walmart as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Internationally recognizable company with countless opportunities. Great intern experience. Definitely a plus on your resume. You'll learn a great deal as well.

Cons

The managers we worked for weren't as good as they could have been. They weren't very tolerant of mistakes, they seemed to pick favorites, and they were very shady. They left interns out-of-the-information-loop multiple times. We were completely in the dark on whether we'd receive offers or not and on how we were performing.
    Thankfully for others, managers like ours are rare within the company.

Advice to Management

Keep improving the ecommerce experience. Keep up the good work.

"Walmart Technology - Reston Rocks!"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've spent roughly eight years with Walmart Technology. Most of that has been at headquarters in Bentonville, AR, but less than a year ago I relocated to the Reston office. I love Walmart's culture to begin with, but Reston really takes it to the next level. It's incredible how much autonomy we have to get things done within such a massive company. We operate more like a start-up than what you would imagine, given Walmart's position as the world's largest retailer and Fortune One company. The people are great, the culture is great, the location is great. I love coming into work each day!

Cons

There can be some friction when interfacing with teams in other locations (Bentonville, AR; Sunnyvale, CA; etc.). We run into the occasional red tape or bureaucracy and have to work our way through it. But that's really the exception, not the rule, and we're paving the way for greater collaboration between all facets of Walmart Technology than we have previously enjoyed.

Advice to Management

The management team is currently committed to doing what is right without letting corporate b.s. get in the way. I would encourage them to keep fighting the good fight and set the standard for how a tech shop should be run.

7. "walmart"

Current Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

don't know sometimes its good

Cons

very close to my house

Showing 7 of 38,385 reviews