Walmart Reviews in Reston, VA | Glassdoor

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Teams run very lean which leads to a poor work life balance (in 658 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to be gradfathered in or be a manager (in 1042 reviews)

"Walmart Technology - Reston Rocks!"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've spent roughly eight years with Walmart Technology. Most of that has been at headquarters in Bentonville, AR, but less than a year ago I relocated to the Reston office. I love Walmart's culture to begin with, but Reston really takes it to the next level. It's incredible how much autonomy we have to get things done within such a massive company. We operate more like a start-up than what you would imagine, given Walmart's position as the world's largest retailer and Fortune One company. The people are great, the culture is great, the location is great. I love coming into work each day!

Cons

There can be some friction when interfacing with teams in other locations (Bentonville, AR; Sunnyvale, CA; etc.). We run into the occasional red tape or bureaucracy and have to work our way through it. But that's really the exception, not the rule, and we're paving the way for greater collaboration between all facets of Walmart Technology than we have previously enjoyed.

Advice to Management

The management team is currently committed to doing what is right without letting corporate b.s. get in the way. I would encourage them to keep fighting the good fight and set the standard for how a tech shop should be run.

2. "Software Engineer(Internship)"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Reston, VA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Reston, VA

I worked at Walmart as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Internationally recognizable company with countless opportunities. Great intern experience. Definitely a plus on your resume. You'll learn a great deal as well.

Cons

The managers we worked for weren't as good as they could have been. They weren't very tolerant of mistakes, they seemed to pick favorites, and they were very shady. They left interns out-of-the-information-loop multiple times. We were completely in the dark on whether we'd receive offers or not and on how we were performing.
    Thankfully for others, managers like ours are rare within the company.

Advice to Management

Keep improving the ecommerce experience. Keep up the good work.

3. "walmart"

Current Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

don't know sometimes its good

Cons

very close to my house

Showing 3 of 31,487 reviews