Walmart Reviews in Reston, VA | Glassdoor

3.2
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work (in 1271 reviews)

• Amazing work life balance for an man level job (in 265 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a serious challenge (in 759 reviews)

• They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits (in 1122 reviews)

"Walmart Technology - Reston Rocks!"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've spent roughly eight years with Walmart Technology. Most of that has been at headquarters in Bentonville, AR, but less than a year ago I relocated to the Reston office. I love Walmart's culture to begin with, but Reston really takes it to the next level. It's incredible how much autonomy we have to get things done within such a massive company. We operate more like a start-up than what you would imagine, given Walmart's position as the world's largest retailer and Fortune One company. The people are great, the culture is great, the location is great. I love coming into work each day!

Cons

There can be some friction when interfacing with teams in other locations (Bentonville, AR; Sunnyvale, CA; etc.). We run into the occasional red tape or bureaucracy and have to work our way through it. But that's really the exception, not the rule, and we're paving the way for greater collaboration between all facets of Walmart Technology than we have previously enjoyed.

Advice to Management

The management team is currently committed to doing what is right without letting corporate b.s. get in the way. I would encourage them to keep fighting the good fight and set the standard for how a tech shop should be run.

2. "Small Office / Big Company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the Reston office of Walmart Labs feels like a much different company than headquarters. Management has placed a strong emphasis on cultivating a skilled, diverse team and it shows with the projects that we are executing on

Cons

You still work for Walmart which, as a huge Fortune 1 company, can be a little bureaucratic and disorganized at time

Advice to Management

Keep bringing interesting work to our office

3. "Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Engineer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Adoption of new and emerging technologies in some teams
    - Flexible timings and work from home

Cons

- Terrible middle management
    - Terrible work-life balance
    - Unreasonable demands
    - Workaholics (only) welcome
    - No respect for the individual
    - Favoritism
    - Politics
    - Failure to communicate expectations
    - Biggest thing is forced ranking. Employees are forced into a bell curve. The "worst performing employees" are fired.

Advice to Management

I am pretty sure Sam Walton is turning in his grave thinking of what this company has become. People are your greatest asset. Value them. Focusing only weaknesses and ignoring strengths will get you nowhere. Fire the workaholics....really. They are the ones that ruin the work culture of an otherwise great company.

4. "Software Engineer(Internship)"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Reston, VA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Reston, VA

I worked at Walmart as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Internationally recognizable company with countless opportunities. Great intern experience. Definitely a plus on your resume. You'll learn a great deal as well.

Cons

The managers we worked for weren't as good as they could have been. They weren't very tolerant of mistakes, they seemed to pick favorites, and they were very shady. They left interns out-of-the-information-loop multiple times. We were completely in the dark on whether we'd receive offers or not and on how we were performing.
    Thankfully for others, managers like ours are rare within the company.

Advice to Management

Keep improving the ecommerce experience. Keep up the good work.

5. "walmart"

Current Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

don't know sometimes its good

Cons

very close to my house

Showing 5 of 35,171 reviews