Walmart Reviews | Glassdoor

1,291 Ratings

5,655 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work life balance and flexibility is not present in all departments (in 671 reviews)

• Take to long to get full time hours (in 1064 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Liverpool, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Liverpool, NY

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health benefits, nice coworkers, that's really about it.

Cons

Pay is bad, management doesn't respect you, they also wrote me up before because I went to lunch 5 minutes late, and I was just helping a customer.

Advice to Management

Actually respect your employees, and realize they put up with a lot for basic pay.

2. "It's Walmart"

I worked at Walmart full-time

Pros

I worked for a Walmart store for 2 years and at one of their fulfillment centers for two months as a seasonal associate. Experiences can vary between facilities and mainly depends upon the management and how competent they are. Walmart, at the store level, is very flexible and forgiving in terms of scheduling and attendance. Some of the jobs pay well for the work you do. Stores can have a lot of opportunity to move up, if you really want too.

I was only at the fulfillment center for two months where I stacked boxes in a dusty trailer for 12 hours a day, so I can't really tell how the place was. They promptly ejected all the seasonals out a few days before Christmas once it died down.

Cons

Walmart is a giant bureaucratic organization, even on the store level. The most common problem on the store level is optimal staffing, communication and favoritism. As an associate I was burdened with very little responsibility, but as soon as I moved up to a DM spot they piled on me more work and less help at every chance they got to save a penny. The harder you work the more work they give you. Communication was more of an associate problem that I observed.

Favoritism was the elephant in the room that no one would address. There were terrible associates AND managers (department managers, assistant managers) who were not obviously performing well; everyone in the whole store knew the bad employees and management would not intervene or fire them. Basically the only way you can get fired is through attendance or if you did something stupid like punch a customer in a face. Already desperate for people, I suspect they were reluctant to fire people because anything these days can be interpreted as discrimination or retaliation, which I can't blame them for covering their butts. Management would frequently look the other way and just pretend like there wasn't a problem. Management was obsessed with the "image" of the store/company, which was also a large factor behind the lackadaisically approach of under performing associates and managers.

Advice to Management

Management are still humans and are susceptible to many biases. A few managers (assistant managers) were not very smart and competent. These few had no understanding of how the inventory system worked which was very embarrassing, and they would frequently trample over you and start dictating how to do your job. Management was also very bias sometimes, things you would see as examples in a standard management textbook. If you are someone with high ambition and intelligence, management will find you a threat to their status, which of course is completely naturally.

It seems most promotions are based on image, not performance. I would see this frequently when someone gets promoted:

-An associate performs well, assumes some responsibilities and shows some initiative.
    -This associate fits the image of the company.
    -Said associate is promoted and fails miserably; management looks the other way, the associate is permanently in that position.

Some department managers were demoted for performance, but this process took several months to occur. For the department manager role should have a trial period of 90 days to establish some sort of performance baseline, so when that DM starts slacking, the DM can be denied promotion for not keeping up.

3. "It's a job"

I have been working at Walmart full-time

Pros

Off almost every weekend and it's from 7am-4pm

Cons

Work alone, have more than one department, not enough pay for the job.

4. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Insurance and bonuses every quarter.

Cons

So much favoritism. And lack of communication.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees. Without us you wouldn't be able to run the store.

5. "Poor hours, mistreated associates"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you work hard and do what you need to you can qualify for higher laid positions

Cons

Walmart doesn't schedule nearly enough staff so your always short staffed which is upsetting to the customer and always being told to get cbl's done and do things you never signed up for in your job code.

Advice to Management

Talk to the managers and reteach them the meaning of professionalism and how to correct issues without threats and mistreatment.

6. "Good people, challenging work for minimum pay"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

Pros

-You'll meet good people who you can talk to about anything on the job, good and bad
    -Management does the best they can with the situation they get dealt

Cons

-Difficult retail work
    -Minimal compensation
    -High turnover at my location,

7. "Too strict!!!"

Former Employee - Deli Sales Associate in Mexia, TX
    Former Employee - Deli Sales Associate in Mexia, TX

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee Discount!!
    1-hour lunch breaks!!
    Paid breaks that you actually get!!

Cons

No overtime.
    Supervisors are RUDE.
    No insurance until 1 year unless you're a manager.
    No advancement available.
    They keep tabs on you with store cameras.
    If your late, THEY WILL FIRE YOU!!

Advice to Management

Slack off. Give employees a chance. Allow overtime.

8. "Wal-Mart Does not care about you"

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Richland, SC
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Richland, SC

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management salaries are competitive if you don't mind having your job threatened multiple times a day as motivation to get more work out of you.

Cons

If you do the work as a manager you get to see others sit around and do nothing. They aren't having their job threatened and don't have to work the 60 plus hours a week.

Advice to Management

No work life balance. Job is still threatened if you are on LOA because of the stress they put on you. Your health isn't worth it.

9. "Poor the quality for work is terrible"

Current Employee - Meat Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Meat Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are no pros that I can currently think of there is so much improvement needed its rediculous

Cons

We are not allowed to have meat cutters to help cut meat for customers the pay rate is to low for working with biological pathegons there only me at night the customers leave for heb because we don't have the right draw to keep them here we need live food demos to encourage meat sales but all my suggestions are ignored.

Advice to Management

Get full staffing

10. "poor management, decent company"

Former Employee - Personal Shopper in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Personal Shopper in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Walmart (More than a year)

Pros

decent pay
    preferable scheduling (exception: holidays)

Cons

poor managment
    no overtime
    no holiday pay

Advice to Management

get some managers that actually desire to work

Showing 5,655 of 32,546 reviews