Walmart Reviews | Glassdoor

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
3,225 Ratings

12,484 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Good pay, great benefits working there (in 694 reviews)

• Good pay great benefits room for advancement with excellent work/ life balance with flexible hours and remote work options (in 181 reviews)

Cons
  • schedules can be rough for work/life balance (in 511 reviews)

• no full time positions available (in 856 reviews)

1. "WAL-MART THE BEST COMPANY TO WORK FOR"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sterling Heights, MI

Pros

Very happy and respectful enviroment

Cons

None, WAL-MART IS VERY RESPECTFUL OF ALL EMPLOYEES

Advice to Management

Great Job

"Come work for Wal-Mart - it's a great place and yes it IS possible to live with only income."

Current Employee - Hourly Associate in Poulsbo, WA
    Current Employee - Hourly Associate in Poulsbo, WA

Pros

It is a great place to start employment. Wages are competitive if not above competitive if you are new or fairly new to the work force. It is a fantastic place for women who have been stay at home moms and now need to supplement or even become the primary provider. It is probably one of the most diverse companies I have ever seen. The opportunities for advancement are excellent. If you are a hard worker and a team player, you can advance at a very fast rate. Wal-Mart is not age discriminatory. You have as much opportunity for advancement if you are 18 or 68. And NO most of my fellow associates are NOT on state-funded health care. Wal-Mart provides competitive benefits. It costs me less than $50/pay period to insure myself and my spouse. Wal-Mart also provides a 401k and share-holding plan. Associates do not have to contribute.

Cons

If you were hired prior to 2007, wages do not compensate for the raise in cost of living. People who have been hired subsequently will most likely be making more money than those hired prior to 2007 - such as myself - even with the annual pay raises. The difference in pay between hourly associates and hourly management needs to be addressed. New hourly associate hirees are making more money than their supervisors who were hired prior to 2007, yet the workload of hourly management is much greater.

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates. There are those petty whiners and then there are those who have reasonable concerns that need to be addressed. Improved job related training. The workforce turn-over would be much less if associates were properly trained.

3. "Wal-Mart, an excellent to work for."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

Pros

Wal-Mart has a 401k package that is awesome. Although they don't match your salary, the put a % of it toward a 401k / Profit Sharing Account. I also enjoy the company discount card, which can be used on anything except for food

Cons

There are no downsides working for Wal-Mart.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Wal-Mart is a very successful company based on the American Dream.

"Its good work, fair pay, and a nice job to have that lets me have time with my family."

Current Employee - Associate in Apple Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Apple Valley, CA

Pros

Great benefits, without the union. Health benefits are better than other places I've looked for employment. I can support my family without others in my household having to work. Great Stock options & 401k. Important insurance coverage provided, with more insurance available. Reasonable wages, without a cent going to unions who seem much more interested in shutting down Wal-Mart than making it a better place for employees. Generous bonuses, which one wouldn't/shouldn't expect. Pays for days in which you have jury duty, without taking them out of your personal time, or vacation time. Compensation for travel. Great people to work with, and satisfaction from a job well done.

Cons

Sometimes there are employees that get away with far too much. They should be fired, but Wal-Mart has a very liberal policy that takes about three chances (or more) before a person is fried. It works for the honest, hard working employees who don't deserve to be fired- but for the slackers that think Wal-Mart owes them, it works out for them and puts a lot more stress and work load on the rest of us. Moving up in the company takes a lot of time, and sometimes you aren't certain how you can move up in the company. It would be nice to have a better idea.

Advice to Management

Senior management at my store is great. The new store manager is learning the ropes, but he is a fair guy and he works hard. Its great that he gets right out with us, and will do whatever needs to be done. It is great to have such a hard working person managing the store. We should do more community events, we useto do them more often- and it brought Wal-Mart a lot of publicity.. but recently we've been less in the community.

"Wal-Mart is just like any other big company that is trying to stay on top, they all have problems."

Current Employee - Cake Decorator in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator in Asheville, NC

Pros

It is a fun place to work.

Cons

Overall not the worst place i have ever worked but this company needs some work with
    COMMUNICATION, COMMUNICATION, COMMUNICATION!!!

Advice to Management

You need to give more positive feedback to your associates.

"Wal-Mart homeoffice is a great place to work. The culture is great, pay/benefits is fair, productivity is expected."

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Bentonville, AR

Pros

Wal-Mart at the Homeoffice is very family-oriented and the company tries its best to take care of it's associates and be a responsible corporate citizen. Wal-Mart is such a huge corporation that you can have several different careers within Wal-Mart. Also, the culture is outstanding.

Cons

Since I work at the homeoffice, I would say that some people aren't interested in moving to Bentonville, AR to work. I personally don't see it as a negative because the area is quite nice, but some young single folks aren't thrilled when they get here.

Advice to Management

The advice I have for Senior Management is to continue to pursue some of the same themes from the past several years: continually improve pay and benefits packages wherever possible, be environmentally responsible, be as open as possible to the outside so that they can see how good and responsible the corporation as a whole is.

"Stable, flexible job with career opportunities. Quit Whining!!!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Spokane, WA

Pros

Flexible schedules, except during the Christmas season. Good benefits (believe it or not). 401k, paid vacations, dental, medical, ADD, disability, sick/personal time. If you have a good attitude, and good work ethic, you can move up quickly!
    For many people, a part time/temp job is perfect for thier individual needs (retirement, students, bored people.....there really are people who HAVE to work).

Cons

Many of the negative aspects of this company stem from individuals. Houly associates who are not friendly, a manager or two who do not appreciate or respect thier workers. But a majority of the problems come from rude/ridiculus customers, and associates who do not appreciate the fact that they have a job, and that the company does not need/cant please them at every turn. If you dont like it, dont work here!
    Retail requires a certain kind of person, and many people are not cut out for this job.

Advice to Management

Remain vigilant when looking for those who have a career in the company. Treat all equally, and promote those whos attitudes/work ethics will make Walmart a better place to work in the future. THE PEOPLE MAKE THE COMPANY!

"Spoken from a true associate with Wal-Mart spirit!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Daphne, AL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Daphne, AL

Pros

I enjoy the people that i work with. Management is very friendly and is also very generous (as much as the budget and store policy will allow) in giving raises and promotions. Everybody is respectful of one another. You get several benefits. You can choose your medical plan based on your needs and budget. Not only do you get medical, dental and vision, you get a discount card which is good for 10% off your purchase and also Wal Mart offers discounts for hotel stays, car rentals, and even amusement parks such as six flags and disney world. You get a raise every year. 401k and option to buy stock either in lump sum of cash or via payroll deductions. Temporary insurance is also available during waiting period. You also get a break every 2 hours.

Cons

It is a job where you must work with people all throughout the day. This can be particularly stressful. Also, you must stand for long hours. Plus some of the lower level jobs can be pretty boring at times.

Advice to Management

Make sure that you listen and care for your associates. They are what run your store. You make sure they stay in line and everything goes smoothly, but they are the ones that do the main work. Work as a team, that is the only way you are going to get everything done. Remember Sam Walton's quotes because he turned this one little store into thousands of big supermarkets. I mean, we are talking about a guy who didn't trust banks so he opened his own! Always encourage your associates to aim higher and never let them feel like they are stuck in the postition they are in. Go above and beyond for them and they will go above and beyond for you. A happy workplace makes everything run smoothly.

10. "I never thought I'd love my job so much"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in East Greenbush, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in East Greenbush, NY

Pros

There are just so manyb reasons. I never thought I would be happy at Wal-mart because of a previous experience working there. But I was wrong! They help you out so much. You have to be friendly and happy in order to be successful at Walmart but also at any jobs.

Cons

I hate HAVING to take my FULL lunch. I always want to clock in early. An hour is just too much time.

Advice to Management

You guys are amazing. They are so friendly so caring. I don't know about all the managers but mine are certainly amazing to work for. They have helped me out so many different times with questions about everything.

11. "Walmart is a better company to work for than most people realize."

Current Employee - Department Manager in Hot Springs, AR
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Hot Springs, AR

Pros

Walmart is a family oriented, safety aware company to work for.

Cons

Be required to work weekends when this time should be for families.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your associates have to say.....

Showing 12,484 of 24,374 reviews