Walmart Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 24, 2017
25,146 reviews

Full-time Part-time

25,146 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Good pay, great benefits working there (in 837 reviews)

• Good work/life balance available (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge sometimes (in 535 reviews)

• are only offered to their full time associates (in 884 reviews)

"thumbs up."

Current Employee - Merchandise Supervisor
    Current Employee - Merchandise Supervisor

Pros

*They work with my schedule.... I am in college and work full-time basically make my own schedule. Plus I am a supervisor.
    *A lot of promotions within.
    *The vacation time - 2 weeks after 2 years of employment
    * Personal Time - 16 hours every year
    * Sick time - Around 2 hours every 2 weeks
    * My Share - I made 800 this year (2009) in bonuses as a hourly
    * Holiday pay - get paid for every holiday regardless if you work (paid avg hours worked per holiday + hours you work on day)
    *95% of the customers are decent
    *If you do not like your job, you can move around to different places.
    *Pay - get more compared to similar jobs
    *Cook outs

Overall, I like it. A lot of people cannot handle retail though so it is not for everyone. There are jobs in the back of store that do not deal with customers. If you get into a good store with good management it is sweet. It is very stable employment too.

Cons

A lot of promoting is done within, so we have some managers without degrees. Some people do not know what they are doing.

Advice to Management

blah

"Day in the life"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

You get all of your hours, and the company has a great engrained culture. Decent pay, but big time opportunities for growth. Great job security

Cons

You see people get upper level jobs from out side companies with less experience than your management team. The assistant managers dont get paid enough.

Advice to Management

Find the people that work for the company already! YOu need to promote more from within and when you need outside influence bring on consultants not full time people.

3. "crazy"

Current Employee - Garden Center Sales Associate in Mattoon, IL
    Current Employee - Garden Center Sales Associate in Mattoon, IL

Pros

insurance is good (get to choose what level and amount you want out of your paycheck), work is equal to pay

Cons

customers except you know everything, mangers are sometimes total morons, getting licensed for power equipment is difficult because the safety team has better things to do like "moon" one of the service technicians

Advice to Management

be calm with all sales associates, schedule enough people to cover all parts of the store so jobs/projects don't get in the ways of other department's business

"Watch your back"

Current Employee - Wal-Mart Assistant Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Wal-Mart Assistant Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

good money @ the top

Cons

Treat associates as a disposable commodity - love the BAD economy - sales up - peole looking for jobs makes it easy to intimidate associates

Advice to Management

Be more honest - don't tell Home Office & egional Office what they want to hear - tell them the truth

"I filled out application at store online, within a week I was called for an interview. I was interviewed by 3 managers."

Former Employee - Bakery Packager in Lapeer, MI
    Former Employee - Bakery Packager in Lapeer, MI

Pros

I loved my job at WalMart because I love to shop there also. Meeting new people such as coworkers and customers. The job was fun to do and it made the day go by fast. I was offered a great wage compared to what I was used to. Updating my skills on computer for my department whenever assigned, which leads to be a better employee and to be more helpful to the community purchasing things from the store or my department. Wearing protective hats (bonnets) and gloves while working for sanitation purposes makes me feel good about the cleanliness. The rules are good and they are there for everyones safety.

Cons

I guess there are always downsides in every job but I really havent any complaints about WalMart except some of the coworkers abuse breaks and lunch periods by wasting time talking before and after they punch out leaving the coworkers on the job to do more than their share of the workload.

Advice to Management

Open door policy for employees airing their concerns or problems should be held in a much more private place so that others cannot eavesdrop and cause more problems. The management should keep their personal attachments separate when people may have to complain about one of their friends and not show partiality with the knowledge they possess.

7. "There are lots of opportunities within this company for those who understand and love retail environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

Pros

Great company to work for. If you work smart and follow company policies you can go far in the company.

Cons

Some associates who are there to collect a paycheck and not interested in doing their job. Company needs to hire more responsible/reliable employees.

Advice to Management

Recognize and promote people that believe in the company and it's standards and work hard to make Wal-Mart a better place to work and shop at.

"Walmart"

Pros

Great benefits, good hours, family oriented, competitive wages, a job that stays around, its not going out of business anytime soon

Cons

sometimes has management that lacks in people skills and leadership qualities. Also sometimes favoritism plays a role in decisions being made.

Advice to Management

I personally think that management needs better training and not so many responsibilities that takes their time away from the customer and associates

9. "Truck Driver"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in California City, CA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in California City, CA

Pros

I like being home on weekends.

Cons

Sometimes, unloading takes longer than I'm allowed.

Advice to Management

I appreciate it when you have people at the dock to help unload the truck. It would be nice to not have all new employees to unload the truck.

10. "WalMart Assistant"

Current Employee - Wal-Mart Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Wal-Mart Assistant Manager

Pros

First is job security, if you are a hard worker and come to work to do your job, you will love working for WalMart .

Cons

Working nights and weekends and every holiday except Christmas Day

Advice to Management

Great leadership depending upon your store manager and management team

11. "Wal-Mart is an OK place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Windsor, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Windsor, NJ

Pros

Good pay (for a cashier) and co-workers.
    Good place to work while still in school.
    Study the the different branches, not all are equal to shop at, or work for. I worked at a good branch, but a few miles away was a branch people skipped over to get to ours.

Cons

Demanding customers, standing all shift, average retail worker complaints
    Can be under staffed (5-6 people doing work better suited to 10 or more, especially closing shift)
    seem to like scheduling employees to work closing (on shift till 10:30pm or 11pm) followed by opening (on shift starting at 7am)

Advice to Management

Let the store managers have a bit more freedom about employee relations. Don't drive off good employees who need a bit of flexibility with corporate policies that are too rigid.

Showing 25,146 of 25,436 reviews