Walmart Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

31,482 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Teams run very lean which leads to a poor work life balance (in 663 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to be gradfathered in or be a manager (in 1058 reviews)

"This is a job that rewards a young, energetic and ambitious man."

Current Employee - Garden Center Cashier/Sales associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Garden Center Cashier/Sales associate in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

If you are a hard-working, intelligent young man, you can climb up the latter quickly at Wal-Mart. I have been working there part-time, for the past year while finishing up college. I graduate this month, and my Store Manager is giving me a shot at being an Assistant Manager (Third in the management's hierarchal order) next month (There's a waiting list). I'm a 23-year-old man who has just come in and shown some initiative and intelligence and they love me.

Wal-Mart is not a glamorous place to work, but while everyone else is struggling right now, Wal-Mart is still hiring and advancing their employees. They're not going anywhere.

They have a very good benefits package. You can get whatever you want. The limit is how much you want taken out of your check. You can do a lot with just a few dollars a month. You can even have charity donations taken out of your check automatically to help you with your taxes.

There is a clear career path at Wal-Mart. In eight years, I could be a Store Manager running my own store. I was told by a former Store Manager that it is a $200,000-a-year job. That's more than I could ever make using my journalism degree.

Cons

Working at Wal-Mart can be a high-stress job at times. You are rewarded for hard work, but at the same time, a lot is expected of you after you have shown that you are a hard worker. I've been yelled at and cussed at by customers. I've had to juggle a lot of responsibility. I've even had to manage and delegate work to others as a "cashier." To their defense, I would have been promoted a long time ago if I hadn't been in college and unable to work full-time.

Worker moral is really low at my store. Six hundred people work at my store, and most of those positions are low income and/or part-time positions. Those positions attract less fortunate people who, many times, have a negative outlook on life. You have to listen to a lot of complaining. You have to deal with a lot of bitter people. You just have to rise above it. The work is not as bad as those people make it seem. You can't let them suck you in. You just have to be positive and focus on your work.

You're going to come home tired. If you want to move up, you have to work hard. I'm tired when I come home. Sometimes I'm sore the next day. I work with a lot of heavy items. Sometimes I work with heavy items for most of the day. I've actually lost weight and gotten into better shape since I've worked there. It's not like that every day, but if you don't like working with your hands, then this isn't the job for you.

Advice to Management

The merit raises need to come back. When people work hard, it needs to be rewarded. You have to be able to compensate people who are a pleasant surprise. As hard as it is to get good help in Wal-Mart, people who work hard and don't steal, you need to give it up to people who are special.

"thumbs up."

Current Employee - Merchandise Supervisor
    Current Employee - Merchandise Supervisor

Pros

*They work with my schedule.... I am in college and work full-time basically make my own schedule. Plus I am a supervisor.
    *A lot of promotions within.
    *The vacation time - 2 weeks after 2 years of employment
    * Personal Time - 16 hours every year
    * Sick time - Around 2 hours every 2 weeks
    * My Share - I made 800 this year (2009) in bonuses as a hourly
    * Holiday pay - get paid for every holiday regardless if you work (paid avg hours worked per holiday + hours you work on day)
    *95% of the customers are decent
    *If you do not like your job, you can move around to different places.
    *Pay - get more compared to similar jobs
    *Cook outs

Overall, I like it. A lot of people cannot handle retail though so it is not for everyone. There are jobs in the back of store that do not deal with customers. If you get into a good store with good management it is sweet. It is very stable employment too.

Cons

A lot of promoting is done within, so we have some managers without degrees. Some people do not know what they are doing.

Advice to Management

blah

"Day in the life"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

You get all of your hours, and the company has a great engrained culture. Decent pay, but big time opportunities for growth. Great job security

Cons

You see people get upper level jobs from out side companies with less experience than your management team. The assistant managers dont get paid enough.

Advice to Management

Find the people that work for the company already! YOu need to promote more from within and when you need outside influence bring on consultants not full time people.

4. "crazy"

Current Employee - Garden Center Sales Associate in Mattoon, IL
    Current Employee - Garden Center Sales Associate in Mattoon, IL

Pros

insurance is good (get to choose what level and amount you want out of your paycheck), work is equal to pay

Cons

customers except you know everything, mangers are sometimes total morons, getting licensed for power equipment is difficult because the safety team has better things to do like "moon" one of the service technicians

Advice to Management

be calm with all sales associates, schedule enough people to cover all parts of the store so jobs/projects don't get in the ways of other department's business

"Watch your back"

Current Employee - Wal-Mart Assistant Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Wal-Mart Assistant Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

good money @ the top

Cons

Treat associates as a disposable commodity - love the BAD economy - sales up - peole looking for jobs makes it easy to intimidate associates

Advice to Management

Be more honest - don't tell Home Office & egional Office what they want to hear - tell them the truth

"I filled out application at store online, within a week I was called for an interview. I was interviewed by 3 managers."

Former Employee - Bakery Packager in Lapeer, MI
    Former Employee - Bakery Packager in Lapeer, MI

Pros

I loved my job at WalMart because I love to shop there also. Meeting new people such as coworkers and customers. The job was fun to do and it made the day go by fast. I was offered a great wage compared to what I was used to. Updating my skills on computer for my department whenever assigned, which leads to be a better employee and to be more helpful to the community purchasing things from the store or my department. Wearing protective hats (bonnets) and gloves while working for sanitation purposes makes me feel good about the cleanliness. The rules are good and they are there for everyones safety.

Cons

I guess there are always downsides in every job but I really havent any complaints about WalMart except some of the coworkers abuse breaks and lunch periods by wasting time talking before and after they punch out leaving the coworkers on the job to do more than their share of the workload.

Advice to Management

Open door policy for employees airing their concerns or problems should be held in a much more private place so that others cannot eavesdrop and cause more problems. The management should keep their personal attachments separate when people may have to complain about one of their friends and not show partiality with the knowledge they possess.

7. "There are lots of opportunities within this company for those who understand and love retail environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

Pros

Great company to work for. If you work smart and follow company policies you can go far in the company.

Cons

Some associates who are there to collect a paycheck and not interested in doing their job. Company needs to hire more responsible/reliable employees.

Advice to Management

Recognize and promote people that believe in the company and it's standards and work hard to make Wal-Mart a better place to work and shop at.

"Walmart"

Pros

Great benefits, good hours, family oriented, competitive wages, a job that stays around, its not going out of business anytime soon

Cons

sometimes has management that lacks in people skills and leadership qualities. Also sometimes favoritism plays a role in decisions being made.

Advice to Management

I personally think that management needs better training and not so many responsibilities that takes their time away from the customer and associates

"Truck Driver"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in California City, CA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in California City, CA

Pros

I like being home on weekends.

Cons

Sometimes, unloading takes longer than I'm allowed.

Advice to Management

I appreciate it when you have people at the dock to help unload the truck. It would be nice to not have all new employees to unload the truck.

10. "WalMart Assistant"

Current Employee - Wal-Mart Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Wal-Mart Assistant Manager

Pros

First is job security, if you are a hard worker and come to work to do your job, you will love working for WalMart .

Cons

Working nights and weekends and every holiday except Christmas Day

Advice to Management

Great leadership depending upon your store manager and management team

Showing 31,482 of 31,881 reviews