Walmart Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

30,319 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Teams run very lean which leads to a poor work life balance (in 648 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to be gradfathered in or be a manager (in 1026 reviews)

1. "very good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

Pros

offers better than avg. pay and benefits for retail, very good about time off and flexible, work with some real nice and talented people

Cons

large co. sometimes it takes to long to get the wheels turning over an issue, can not get to the person needed in a timely manner

Advice to Management

give local management. more freedom to determine what type on mdse. they want to promote to match thier customers and areas of the country

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Bentonville, AR

Pros

I think the biggest pro of working at Walmart (at least at HQ) is that most of the poeple working there really love the company and love working there. Probably half the people I work with have been there for 10 years or more and many of them have lived all over the country (becuase they wanted to, not becuase they were forced). Most everyone is very friendly and there isn't an ounce of arrogance to be found. Another good thing is all of the fun events the company puts on in NWA (celebrities at Saturday Morning Meetings, free concerts during shareholders week, etc.)

Cons

I really don't like living in Bentonville, despite the VERY low cost of living. The traffic is awful and it's in a dry county. It would probably be great if I had a family, but as a young person there's not much to do. The other thing I don't like is the fact that despite management's best efforts to promote an entrepreneurial spirit among associates, it's still a big company. There's only so much leeway a company that big can give to individuals and still maintian order, so I don't really fault them, but if you need someplace that you can be a little crazy this probably isn't the company for you.

Advice to Management

Continue working to get the stock price up, people sure aren't getting rich the way they used to with Walmart stock...

3. "great job great money"

Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Scarborough, ME
    Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Scarborough, ME

Pros

pay shares equal opp for advancement good people
    fun place to work people people people bonus checks you didnt have to run the cash machine

Cons

weirdos work there too. break rooms suck having to clean up the store at the end of the night and not know when you will go home

Advice to Management

re enlist the accounting poss. at wal mart. they provided lots of exp to people and created lots of jobs

"Job you could love"

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Oakland, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Oakland, TN

Pros

great pay much better than average retail. Super advancement posibilities. Open door so your voice can be heard even if you have to keep going till it's heard.

Cons

sometimes you have to be a sqeaky wheel to get things done correctly. Keep going to those in authority till your heard.

Advice to Management

Love the round table. Wish standards of our associates and management were what they were with Mr Sam

5. "Best employer I have ever had"

Former Employee - Co Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Co Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

Excellent Benefits and Pay...
    Very good advancement potential
    excellent training program

Cons

Hours are sometimes excessive for the actual time that is required to successfully perform given job

Advice to Management

Listen to those with experience in a particular area over the "subscribed" program

6. "Promotability"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Wal-mart has the highest ability to move up within a company that I have ever seen. Opportunity for advancement is ever present within the ranks.

Cons

Lack of family time, however the company is working with salaried members of management to improve this.

Advice to Management

Get more input from your field management before making large and small corporate changes.

"Wal-Mart a good place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Alamosa, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Alamosa, CO

Pros

Wal-mart is a good paying company. It has it's problems just as there is in every company. It pays it's managers well. It has good growth opportunities.

Cons

It can take a long time to get a job or a promotion at Wal-Mart. There are a lot of people going for the same job so you really have to learn how to interview and look good to stand out in a crowd.

Advice to Management

I feel that some of the leaders in walmart don't under stand how to run a store. They know how to run some businesses but not a store that runs the numbers that our stores run. I know that profit is what we are working for. We still need associates in the stores to make great customer service. We have put score cards in place and the scheduling system in place to insure that we have great customers service. Then we have regional and market managers that tell us that we have to have $150 SPLH even is we won't have the associates to run what the schedule calls for. We all heard what Bill Simon said at the YBmeetings that we were to follow the schedules that the scheduler says but that is not what we are told when we come home. We need to all get on the same page.

8. "Great place To Work! (Distribution Center)"

Current Employee - Fork Lift Driver in New Caney, TX
    Current Employee - Fork Lift Driver in New Caney, TX

Pros

I only work three days a week which allows for a second job. The hourly pay is great, in addition to getting a quarterly bonus. There's a real team atmosphere, everybody gets along pretty much and is happy to be there.

Cons

There are not too many negatives to working here. The job does get pretty repetitive, but it's only for three days a week, so not a big deal.

Advice to Management

There is not really any advice i can give about the leadership at this wal-mart distribution center without being too specific about the area i work in.

9. "I love Wal-mart"

Current Employee - Electronic Sales Associate in Many, LA
    Current Employee - Electronic Sales Associate in Many, LA

Pros

If you work hard and stick with the company you can do very well. They have very simple and easy guidelines for promotion and raises. I have had not problem getting the highest evaluation whenever my yearly review has come.

Cons

The only down side is that there are so many people that you grow to like, and its hard to advance beyond people I care about.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and do not be worried about explaining policies to employees. Remind them about the behaviors they are doing that will give them a good evaluation. Talk to employees and find out what their goals are. I think this helps to bring out their best when you can remind them what they can achieve if they stick within certain guidelines.

10. "Wal-Mart is great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

I will start working with Wal-Mart in a couple of days but I have met my employees and the environment seems like a good working environment.

Cons

It is at a Super Center therefore I predict that things will get pretty hectic but I'm excited nonetheless. Looking forward to it.

Advice to Management

No advice at the moment.

Showing 30,319 of 30,698 reviews