Walmart Reviews in Sacramento, CA | Glassdoor

2.6
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay and benifits liked the work (in 1173 reviews)

• Amazing work life balance for an man level job (in 255 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance benefits restructuring (in 708 reviews)

• Not enough hrs avalible for full time emoyment (in 1083 reviews)

1. "Remodeling"

Former Contractor - Stocking, Cleaning, Changing Shelves, Lebeling in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Walmart as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

To learn and have more experience

Cons

There's nothing wrong with the job everyones seems nice

Advice to Management

None

2. "Overnight stocker"

Former Employee - Night Stocker in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Night Stocker in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good coworkers, and benefits, that's about it

Cons

Lazy Fiji Co managers and Fiji support manager, poor pay scale.

Advice to Management

Take care of business taking care of the store, than flirting around with your Fiji support manage, and quit displaying your relationship to the workers, very unprofessional, and a waste of company money..

3. "Asset Protection"

Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are really good. Regular employees are really great to work with too.

Cons

Management treats the company better than the employees. Doesnt give holiday pay for working holidays. Hard to ask for time off due to PTO system. If management doesnt like you, they will find a way to get rid of you. Doesnt reward hard working employees

Advice to Management

Do right by your employees. Move up the hard workers instead of favorites.

4. "Life learning"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best retail store to work for! I love Walmart! It’s a great company to work for but changes rapidly... you have to be open minded and willing to adapt!

Cons

The schedule is pretty hard to have any kind of time for your family or even yourself. Not a set schedule or regular days off at all

Advice to Management

Take care of your associates... they are the backbone to the Store . If you are good to them... consistent and fair you won’t go wrong.

5. "It’s ok"

Current Employee - Walmart Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Walmart Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They were good with giving me the hours and keeping the set schedule I wanted

Cons

I was not able to grow because I was stuck working in the freezer also they don’t accommodate for you being sick unless you got sick pto

Advice to Management

Accommodate for sick people even with no pto and make known who’s in charge were I have like 5 managers and not one can give me a set answer about anything

6. "Meat dept."

Former Employee - Meat Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Meat Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time

Pros

I really liked the early morning hours.

Cons

Alot of work and not enough pay.

Advice to Management

They don't any order. Alot of miscommunication.There was Managers and team members that did not train well.

7. "Points"

Former Employee - Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most co-workers are easy to get along with.
    Always things to keep you busy.
    Get to meet new people.
    Room for advancement.

Cons

Some management really do not care about their associates.
    Associates ideas and opinions do not matter.
    When they have wrongfully reprimanded you, they are either very slow at making their wrong right or they just don't correct their wrong.
    Some management are allowed to bully and talk down to their associates with no consequences instead it's the associate that faces the consequences.
    The point system is terrible, can be incorrect.
    All holiday time/pay is rolled into the pto.

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates a little more. Actually care about them instead of pretending. The point system needs to be fixed.

8. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility hours
    Benefits
    Vacation time
    Customer service
    Help you with housing
    Work around your schedule if your a student or have second job

Cons

Favoritism
    sometimes you dont get the hours you signed up for
    change schedule without notifying you
    Not enough coverage , sometimes stuck being late for lunch
    Need more workers on the floor , always long lines but not enough cashiers out on registers
    To aisst customers.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is be very understanding and outgoing most times management may not be on the team side most times they make me feel like their against me .. I try to do the best i can by coming to work on time and getting the job done but sometimes I'll just like 4 tasks to do and have to be done within 20 minutes.

9. "Department Manager"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount, quarterly bonuses if store does good

Cons

Not paid enough for the work we have to do, too many bosses; ie 5-7 assistant managers each telling you do to something differnet

Advice to Management

talk to each other on what the plans are, show respect to other employees; saying HI to an employee walking by isnt that hard

10. "A job for those who need income now."

Current Employee - Walmart Cashier in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Walmart Cashier in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Hours, if you want them
    *Mostly decent co-workers
    *Large, stocked break room
    *Minimal advancement opportunities
    *Easy training
    *When good managers are on shift, things run very smoothly
    *The registers are usually quick and easy to use
    *If there are any threatening or disruptive customers around, security takes care of it
    *Discount card after 90 days of employment that works on random items in the store
    *If you don't want to use your bank account for direct deposit, or don't have one, you can sign up on your first day with Money Network and get a card to use immediately - no cashing check fees
    *Requests for a day off four weeks in advance have been approved every time so far
    *Managers are usually good about giving breaks

Cons

*Prisoner of the register, given attitude by managers and singled out if you tell them you need to be off at your scheduled time, even on a holiday when you've missed the whole day with your family working (not always their fault - cashiers are very understaffed for busy times, but it's also not the cashier's fault, and if you treat someone who has been there 9 hours feeling sick like that, is it any surprise that cashiers quit?)

*If you have a bathroom emergency and it's busy, you're screwed - again, cashiers are prisoners to the registers

*Constantly left without change requested via the till, supplies like receipt paper, gloves and bags, and working magnets to disable security items on an increasing number of products (when managers on duty are bad, or there's only one poor CSM running everywhere doing everything alone)

*Blamed for manager mistakes, like allowing customers to grab tobacco products while you're on break

*Required to wait for manager to bring stamps when requested; last one took 20 minutes (not their fault - they have to grab the stamps that are locked up at the front of the store and run them over)

*I suspect that the discount card is tracking employee purchases, which shouldn't be anyone's business unless I agree to share that data

*Not given information about things like donation drives we're doing, just thrown on the register and expected to figure it out; told to ask every customer to donate, even though asking people with EBT seems disrespectful

*(California) Bags. When a customer brings their own bags, we have no good way to use them without a lot of hassle

*If a cashier is allowed by a manager to do their GLM training, they'll sit down to do for two minutes then get paged to the registers with attitude, as though they're breaking rules doing their required training

Advice to Management

We have some great managers, and some not so great ones. I'd like to point out that there are managers working in our store who are 100% on their game every day. Just yesterday, one of the CSMs (Alina) was run ragged and she still had a good attitude! I've been with Wal-Mart for a while now, and I see a lot of potential, and quite a lot of serious problems.

You need to make sure your cashiers aren't made prisoners of registers. If they're off at 6:00pm after working since 9am, make it happen. They work extremely hard all day long, dealing with the most difficult people, which is physically and mentally exhausting. You should know what this is like.

If I need to leave at my scheduled time, I should be allowed to do that without punishment! It's not my fault that we're understaffed. It's not my fault that I'm fast and other cashiers are slow. I work to get paid so I can have a life and provide for my family. Don't expect me to make my job my entire life. For the last two weeks, I've been left on the register, unable to leave, past my full-day shift, and I've been given attitude about wanting to leave.

Long lines will teach customers when to shop. Yes, we are here for the customers, and I tell any of them who complain about the lines when the best times to shop are. Everyone knows shopping on Friday evening, Saturday afternoon, and a holiday weekend will be busy. We can't help that. But we can treat both our customers and our cashiers right. Happy cashiers make happy customers!

Showing 46 of 33,312 reviews