Walmart Senior Accountant Reviews | Glassdoor

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Teams run very lean which leads to a poor work life balance (in 652 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to be gradfathered in or be a manager (in 1039 reviews)

"Stay Away!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager - Accounting in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Senior Manager - Accounting in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart full-time

Pros

Good pay is about all I can say about Walmart in terms of management positions. In most other ways, I find it to be the worst employer I've ever had.

Cons

Senior leadership pushes an intoxicating level of condescending, paternalistic rhetoric about how awesome Walmart and its culture supposedly is. It's NOT a good culture...the amount of "self-love" and the sense that Walmart is better than anywhere else is a joke. NO investment in employees (sorry, they like to call us "associates"), the workplace is from the 1970's in terms of the cubicle equipment...and I mean literally, it's from the 1970's. For offices/conference rooms, the tables are extremely cheap, abused and severely old card tables that squeak when you put the least little bit of weight on them. The office buildings are nearly window-less, old warehouse like buildings that are severely DEPRESSING to walk into every day...tells you what they think of us...couldn't care less about us, all about saving a nickle...and this is the world's largest retailer...what a sad joke of a place to work. In addition, leadership climate is extremely cliquish...only a couple people make the decisions and they freeze out everyone else. The quality of leadership is terrible...especially in Global Shared Services where I work...but they're in love with themselves and they think they're the world's best leaders...again, a sort of sick self-love permeates the place. From what I see, it's marginal leadership, at best, and the misguided self-love and sense of "we're the best" stems from the fact they work at the world's largest retailer, so they must be the "best", right?? WRONG! DON'T WORK HERE...you'll regret it from the moment you step foot inside and their indoctrination efforts begin. They don't value your contributions...I've worked tirelessly on projects that deliver clear results...leadership is both incompetent to recognize the contribution and doesn't reward it even when/if they do recognize it. I'm telling you as an insider, unless you drink their brand of Kool-Aid and sing the Walmart cheer (that's right, EVERY meeting begins and ends with a cheesy, home-grown, backwoods Bentonville cheer that everyone has to shoot out with enthusiasm or catch a scowl from someone), you'll be marginalized and ignored. Give me a "W", Give me an "A", Give me an "L", Give me a squiggly (that's for the spark logo and you have to do a little dip and twist), Give me an "M", Give me an "A", Give me an "R", Give me a "T"...GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!! (By the way, the cheer has several more lines, but I'll spare you) Makes you want to throw up...literally. Stay away, wish I had...and I'm working feverishly to get out.

Advice to Management

Get a clue, invest in newer buildings and newer, more uplifting work spaces, offices and cubicles...you're a joke right now. If you spent any time reviewing and comparing the aesthetics of Walmart's offices/buildings to nearly ANY other major Fortune 50 company, you'd HAVE to conclude you're about 45 years BEHIND the times! Also, stop with the incessant self-love...it's very repulsive and ignorant...you really aren't all that good. Stop loving "Mr. Sam" and idolizing EVERYTHING he ever said as if he were a god...he was a good business man, but really, that's not the end-all, be-all of life people. Walk the talk...currently you don't.