Walmart Reviews in West Des Moines, IA | Glassdoor

3.9
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good pay Work hours lots of extra shift if you are willing to work" (in 1399 reviews)

• "Best environment, work life balance" (in 289 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance sometimes not there" (in 838 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1167 reviews)

1. "overnight stocker"

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible availability, i call off a lo,t never got a warning yet.

Cons

%50 of the people that work there hate their life and take it out on you lol.

Advice to Management

10 out of 12 member of management, at my location work their way up from, cart pusher and cashier, so not much to cry about, cause they understand. I just come in and do my job, so none of my manager ever bother me for crap.

2. "Merchandise Supervisor"

Former Employee - Department Manager in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start if you are looking for retail background and experience. I was promoted within 6 months of starting. The pay was great for overnight stocking. The pay for as a Merchandise Supervisor was alright but still less than deserved for all the responsibility they put on you! As far as pay goes and what Walmart seems to be given a bad rep. for, I think it was pretty fair and in most cases, a lot more than its competitors. I loved my store manager. He looked after the company's best interests as well as his associates. I know it's not always the case.

Cons

With retail, comes working almost every weekend. HATED IT! They say you can get one full weekend off a month... It never happened unless I used my paid or sick hours. They cut everyone's hours after Christmas. Full time associates become one hours away from part time and part time associates and expect 15 or less hours unless they are a cashier. It's really hard to keep with a job that goes to that extreme when you have a family to feed, shelter, and care for. Zone managers (next step up from merchandise supervisor) love to hand out notes, but don't care to help. Assistants job is to walk around and tell you what needs done. Rarely, does anyone above the Merchandise Supervisors, ever get their hands dirty, but hey, they are making almost twice as much as you are, and you're the one doing all the dirty work!

Advice to Management

Your Merchandise Supervisors are the a big part of what makes YOUR store run. Appreciate them. Spread the responsibility out over your other members of management. There is such thing as putting way too much on your supervisor's plate. Other than that, I loved my job and my position.

"Ok if you can deal with the lack of a clear direction for the future"

Current Employee - Store Manager in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in West Des Moines, IA

Pros

Customer and Associate Interaction
    Good pay (Is it proportional? Not so much.)
    Decent benefits
    You get to work with many, many good people

Cons

Customer and Associate interaction - This is a pro and con because of the many, many gray areas in policies and the ability for supervisors to "interpret" them, resulting in inconsistency, which can then be used against your own performance if you try to anticipate what they will do next time around.
    The Open Door is a joke. While the company would like you to think it is some great bastion of hope, I can assure you it most certainly is not. At store level a good manager can utilize it effectively, but at higher levels there is no way to protect yourself against the overwhelming amount of CYA that goes on. Good luck to you if you try to use it at levels above the store.
    Think your years of loyal service matter? They don't. One supervisor's opinion is all that is needed to boot you out the door. It didn't happen to me, but I have seen it happen to many others.
    The company pays well, but what they expect you to do changes based on the tons of email and other myriad micro-managerial direction from every level up, making it near impossible to plan effectively.
    All this while the company still lacks focus. Two years ago they pissed off customers and sent them away in droves. Meanwhile the multiple levels of middle executive management spent all their time trying to CYA and blame the stores for all those problems while corporate cruised along on the Titanic, ultimately firing hundreds at the HO.
    The customers were still running this year when they slapped them and associates across the face with some seriously piss-poor purchasing and merchandising decisions, clogging the stores with crap and then denying them the markdowns needed to get rid of it. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the Market people CYA'd and put more burden on the stores, worsening the situation by putting all their eggs into the "save payroll" basket, further sacrificing much needed associates to help customers. As if Store Managers can't tell the difference between something within and not within their control.
    So now a redux and what is old is new again. Millions wasted on re-tooling again this year that is on-again off-again. Then there's the ever-revolving door at the Market and Executive Mgnt levels while they desperately throw money and scramble out 100 different directions to attempt to stem the loss of same-store sales. Who will be the hero?!? It's a free-for-all.

Advice to Management

They truly don't care, but my advice is to pay attention to your Management teams in the stores. You are not listening to them nearly enough. Market Managers have their own fiefdoms going under your noses and how many casualties will result? Bringing in all these supposedly "brilliant" people with fancy degrees from the outside has not proven successful either, as many of them have already turned over with no real results, and many of them are still in-progress mucking up the future. Meanwhile the culture has eroded terribly in the process as many long term managers and associates are ushered out the door (and less and less is heard about Sam and his principles) as if it is their fault. You would do well to remember the fates of many other retailers who thought they were unstoppable and could do no wrong. Pissing off your customers and treating associates and your management teams like incapable drones is not gaining you any loyalty or respect, but most of all it's not making for a good Customer Experience.

4. "Not That Bad"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in West Des Moines, IA

Pros

-Easy to get hired
    -Competitive pay for retail
    -They are flexible with your hours
    -Ten percent discount
    -Lots of people work there, so your specific manager will have 15 or 20 other people to worry about, so if you are doing your job correctly, they won't on your butt about anything and you can just 'blend in'
    -Overall simple, easy job

Cons

-You have to do time off requests about 3 weeks in advance, and they do not like it if you try to switch schedules with anyone or try to get time off without the 3 week notice
    -Sometimes communication is missing within management - manager ''A'' will tell you ''Stay in the toy department to help customers and stock, don't leave no matter what!'' and then manager ''B'' will walk by and tell you ''We need you in the grocery side, for the next hour or so'' . Then manager ''A'' comes over and says ''Why did you leave?!?''
    -Customers tend to have a negative attitude towards Wal-Mart and take it out on you (which makes me wonder why they shop there!?!)

Advice to Management

Communicate between each other and treat all associates fairly. I don't have many complaints from working there, management at my store was very nice, competent, and fair.

Showing 4 of 38,265 reviews