Walmart Reviews in Wichita, KS | Glassdoor

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Teams run very lean which leads to a poor work life balance (in 627 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to be gradfathered in or be a manager (in 1011 reviews)

1. "Great co workers. Great work."

Former Employee - Cashier in Winfield, KS
    Former Employee - Cashier in Winfield, KS

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Good hours. Everyone is really nice and respectful.

Cons

No overtime. Some days there isn't enough time,to get all tasks done. Communication between upper management could be better.

Advice to Management

Theyre doing a great job. Just need to communicate with each,other to get onto the same page.

2. "Good Place to Gain Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is good, policies are clear, fairly consistent behavior towards most employees, lots of interesting personalities to deal with daily.

Cons

Lots of drama, direction from corporate is terrible and not intelligent. Possible that no one from corporate has ever actually worked or been in any of the stores...ever.

Advice to Management

Go rogue, do nothing corporate suggests ever. You'll just have to redo it later.

3. "Frustrating and mind numbing."

Current Employee - Meat Sales Associate in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Meat Sales Associate in Wichita, KS

Pros

You get an hour lunch and a 15 minute break every two hours. If you work at a good store you even get a bonus every three months.

Cons

Dealing with incompetent managers who don't deserve their position. Social hierarchy takes precedence over actual productivity in terms of reward.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who are actually doing the work.

4. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Wellington, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Wellington, KS

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to meet some great people, you get paid well for the tasks you preform .

Cons

I worked here while I was in high school, it was really fun at first in the summer but once school started I was always working they will schedule a lot of hours! I was also a cheerleader at the time but they would not work with my available, I needed Wednesdays and Fridays off but they would not give it to me. I had to quit cheer because I needed the money more, after this I really started to be bitter with the company, if your in school I strongly suggest not work here. The management is always changing also making the management teams not very well some of the management are very nice and very easy to get along with but some take the position to their head. I liked it in the beginning but as time progressed it became a place I needed to get out of!

Advice to Management

Be more flexible and be open to talk to the employees that are under you and guide them to because a great asset to your company. Learn everyone's name also or at least make an enough to not make it look like you do not know the employees.

5. "Disrespectful employees"

Current Employee - Construction in El Dorado, KS
    Current Employee - Construction in El Dorado, KS

I have been working at Walmart (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros

Cons

Cons employees at the el dorado walmart are very rude disrespectful people and i will not do buiness there again they ask you to leave and then try and pick a fight and eg you on

Advice to Management

My advice to you is to stop blaming other corporations for your faults i bought an xbox gift card and they didnt activate it at the register after 30 min i got it fixed and got another one they did the same thing again and told me to bring it to customer service then they closed it right as i got to the counter then continued to get in my face over the situation and try to intimidate me into "dealing with it" i do not work for my money only to get treated in that manner again this is El dorado walmart i will be there tomorrow and they will refund my money i would encourage absolutely no one to go there

6. "Solid job after getting used to it."

Current Employee - Cart Attendant in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Cart Attendant in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They raised the wage up, coworkers are generally good at what they do, fair amount of benefits if you worked with the company long enough.

Cons

Scheduling can be unpredictable, have to wait a long time to start getting benefits.

Advice to Management

None that I can think of.

7. "It's my first real job, not the best pick but you take what you can get in this economy."

Current Employee - Deli Sales Associate in Augusta, KS
    Current Employee - Deli Sales Associate in Augusta, KS

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being able to shop for groceries after you get off work is gas saving. Discount card is nice to have, and 10% off around holidays.

Cons

Having things all go off at once while you're alone for thirty minutes to an hour. Customers do not care if you're about to have a panick attack because you're trying to stay on top of things while shredding an entire ham they wanted. "You can walk around while you wait, this may take a while", "I'll be with you as soon as I get these out", "It's a bit hectic back here, I'm sorry for the wait" are common phrases that come off as 'rude'. Expect management to ask you what you said to a customer minutes later when they should have been helping you.

Advice to Management

Stay on the same page!! A good amount of our screw-ups happen due to one manager wanting one thing and another something else. Be considerate of how bad it is in a department by not scheduling the employees to be understaffed when we've been struggling!

8. "Elitist Management & Suck-Ups"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Walmart full-time

Pros

Not many pros to speak of. The Customers are pretty much it. Many are nice, only a few are jerks. Co-workers are generally pleasant, but way too many hate their jobs.

Cons

Most of the store managers and assistant managers really believe themselves to be superior to the rest of the help. They act like they are better than everyone. Many managers are often disrespectful and rude for no apparent reason other than they can't cope with the responsibilities they have with the Walmart company and/or with the public that they serve and they tend to take it out on the employees who are just carrying out the company's business for the mediocre wages that they are paid.

The culture is one of poor communication and even poorer customer service without any real value to compensate for this deficiency. Walmart used to be the discount store and you could expect value, but these days, Walmart mostly sells overpriced junk and hasn't improved it's customer service at all. They exist on mere ubiquity only as 'America's store.' A driven upstart with a better business ideal could challenge Walmart. Walmart is no longer invincible.

As a sales associate, I would only advise against working here if you can find something better. Yeah, it's a paycheck and that's about it. If you are 'talented' enough, you can milk the clock while doing very little if you know how to hide from your managers and how to kiss their butts on those occasions that you rarely actually communicate with them. I don't engage in this practice myself, but I see that it's common with associates at Walmart.

Advice to Management

Don't act like you're better than those you manage. You're not.

9. "ok to work there"

Former Employee - Walmart Cashier in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Walmart Cashier in Wichita, KS

I worked at Walmart part-time

Pros

Some locations have great amount of hours

Cons

Some store give very very low hours

10. "Very hostile, abusive,degrading, environment"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Wichita, KS

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An income with health, dental, and eye ins.

Cons

To most hourly employees the benefits are not affordable. Often the income earned is very costly to mental and physical health. Unethical behavior at management levels goes seemingly unchecked.

Advice to Management

Be more knowledgeable and remember a happy employee is a productive employee relating to happy customers less theft and increased sales

Showing 43 of 29,884 reviews