Walmart eCommerce Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Walmart eCommerce President & CEO of eCommerce Marc Lore
Marc Lore

Pros
  • Walmart e-commerce is true to their values and insuring their employees are compensated and has that they have work life balance (in 74 reviews)

• Great place to help start a new business in e-commerce (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Code quality is pathetic, people are not professional and work life balance is not great either (in 19 reviews)

• While compensation is competitive among the market, lacking in other benefits such as healthcare, no free food, and not many other perks (in 11 reviews)

"Great people, great culture!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can find some highly intelligent and strategic thinkers here. The company systematically rewards familial culture and creating personal relationships. Great place to work!

Cons

People are too nice and don't hold each other accountable to failure.

Advice to Management

Spend some time building credibility among lower level associates.

"A Pretty Cool Place to Work...Unless You're Contractor"

Current Contractor - Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Current Contractor - Manager in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

-Recent rapid changes (new CEO, reorg, acquisitions) make for some pretty exciting, focused work and tightened teams.
    -Big, meaty, challenging problems to tackle; freedom and flexibility to find a solution and try to solve
    -Easy parking in San Bruno; secure parking garage
    -Complimentary coffee/tea/drinks; fruit 2 days/week
    -Bright, modern office that isn't Silicon Valley gaudy

Cons

As much as they tout being quick and nimble like a start up, the truth is it's a huge corporate company (Fortune 1 remember) heavy with bureaucracy, red tape, and blockers everywhere. Good luck trying to find out who owns what or having anyone answer your email. It's amazing how any real, tangible work gets done with so many silos, non-communication, lack of knowledge, and incompetence within the company.

If you're a contractor...beware! I can't tell you how excited I was to work here only to be incredibly disappointed and disheartened. It may depend on your department/team, but the separation and isolation of contractors is pretty astonishing -- it's like being a second class citizen and you're treated with such snobbiness and disdain from the 'elite' full time associates. Sure they have no problem using you and dumping work on you but some FTEs won't even make eye contact with you in the hall or acknowledge you as a fellow colleague...so sad.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to chase Amazon -- you'll never beat them or come close. Focus on your biggest asset, core competency -- the brick and mortar stores by being more omni channel and creating a seamless, superior online/in-store customer shopping experience. Utilize your awesome supply chain infrastructure too.

Stop buying silly companies (Moosejaw, ModCloth, Bonobos, etc) -- you'll never get the coveted millennials, high income consumer.

"Fine place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks and People are great

Cons

Working with Bentonville Policies in California

Advice to Management

Bring Arkansas into the 21st century

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Top talent, latest technologies, nice people, competitive compensation, growth opportunity.

Cons

Parking at Sunnyvale is an issue. The parking garage is a bit far and the shuttle provided takes about 10 minutes. Management is actively working on a solution.
    Green card processing is a general problem facing every company now. It's possible that it's a problem like every place else.

Advice to Management

Please fix the parking problem in Sunnyvale

5. "Sr Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice People, good industry, nice building to work in

Cons

Too much turnover, management is shifted around often

Advice to Management

Take input from employees who know what is going on before you make decisions

"the place to be"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Walmart eCommerce full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Walmart gave me the opportunity to work on something that nobody else can do. I can thank them for that. Furthermore, the culture and values of the company have made me a better person. I had the opportunity to travel internationally and truly build world-class teams. The company has the resources to really lean into strategic initiatives, and treats its people with the utmost care and respect.

Cons

I can't think of anything bad to say. Please note that the CEO is new to the company, but I believe that he will do a good job.

Advice to Management

N/A

7. "stable company but poor vision"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

stable environment, good work-life balance

Cons

no vision nor innovation

8. "Been at Walmart Labs for over 3 years now..."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, amazing compensation & benefits, challenging work

Cons

Internal corporate politics & semi-slow movement of ideas

Advice to Management

Pick a vision and stick with it for more than 3 months

9. "Not worth it, unless maybe you're FT"

Current Contractor - Vendor Acquisition Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Current Contractor - Vendor Acquisition Manager in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-It's all about community! "Training" sucks, so if you have questions on how to operate systems ask a neighbor or a more seasoned employee and they are more than happy to help you!
    -The office is near a shopping center so I can go grocery shopping in between or after work.
    -Work life balance is great, no one really checks on you or visits for that matter so I make my own schedule.

Cons

When I took this position I was told it was a lucrative position to be in and that many contractors become FT employees very quickly-based on performance of course. However, when I scheduled a meeting with my "manager" I was told that they could not give me any feedback unless it was negative in which case it would go through the agency i'm technically employed under.
    Mind you, this was the second time in a month I had ever seen my "manager" and have been riding the wave with zero direction or any conversations on what the expectation was for me in my current role. I'm sure the grass is greener if you are hired as a FT employee-but when you're sold a contract position in the general division you are looking to work in (in my case, merchandising) and there is a promise of performance review, growth and potential FT placement in the position you hope to obtain...don't bite the bait. I was duped, taken advantage of and now after taking what feels like 2 steps backwards in my career I have to hustle to get out from under this mess. Very frustrating and disappointing-I really wanted to like it here.

Advice to Management

-Set expectations, don't up sell a position that is made out to be more thought provoking and strategic than it really is
    -If there must be a hard line between FT and contract, make that clear in the initial interview process
    -If you want longevity and dedication in employees, you need to be 100% inclusive. I don't really want to work for a company that doesn't care about my growth, it doesn't motivate me to be a good employee

"What you would expect..."

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Bruno, CA

I worked at Walmart eCommerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Decent cash compensation
    - Can be good work-life balance (depending on the group and your own desire to achieve / over-achieve)
    - Opportunity to work on projects at scale (if you find the right ones...) and make an impact

Cons

Pretty much what you should expect going in. Walmart is both:

1) Gigantic. Only the US Department of Defense and Chinese Liberation Army are larger. Think: massive bureaucracy, constant stakeholder management, turnover in management ranks that causes all decisions to get re-evaluated every six months, etc.

2) Clearly a few notches below Amazon, Facbeook, Google, Pinterest, etc. on the tech totem pole. Think: lower quality management, lower quality employees, people that don't really want to be there but stay for Visa reasons or until the options or retention bonuses from their acquihired startup vest, etc. It's basically all the negatives of joining Google (can be slow-moving and bureaucratic) without many of the positives of joining a Google (like free food, genius co-workers, and a fun environment).

As such, what it is like to work here shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone. If you find the right pockets (of time and location w/in the company) you can use the the fact that nobody will bother much to stop you (either due to apathy, incompetence, or inability to make a decision), but otherwise expect to spend a higher percentage of your time on politics and eventually get overcome by the apathy and inertia and move on.

Advice to Management

Polish up your resumes and prepare to get torpedoed by Marc Lore.