Walmart eCommerce Reviews | Glassdoor

Walmart eCommerce Reviews

Updated May 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • benefits, work life balance, opportunities, training (in 73 reviews)

• Great place to help start a new business in e-commerce (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Code quality is pathetic, people are not professional and work life balance is not great either (in 19 reviews)

• While compensation is competitive among the market, lacking in other benefits such as healthcare, no free food, and not many other perks (in 11 reviews)

"Good fit for some"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some interesting work
    Will never run out of work to do
    Rare to have crushing deadlines, though it varies by team
    Big supporter of H1B program

Cons

Extreme lack of diversity in workforce (this is a Pro for some)
    Focus is rarely on the individual's sense of satisfaction - instead is kind of impersonal, has robotic managers.

"Merchandising -product development /buyer"

Current Employee - Merchandising in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandising in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best career ever, I love working here . I thought it would be a disaster due to the bad PR walmart gets. Then I started my first day. Over 2 years later I have zero complaints. Such honesty and respect from your peers and cross functional partners , advanced learning opportunities available for free all the time . Beautiful campus . I came from an absolutely horrible company in Seattle (not AZ) and honestly it took me months to finally see that I didn't have to have a wall up 24:7 to protect myself . My coworkers are super smart, always willing to jump in and help and treat you like family . I can't imagine working or living anywhere else. Laser focused teams , free parking , food , drinks . Excellent Heath care and benefits , great pay . Our Ceo and execs walk the walk. It's inspirational and I haven't dreaded going to work once , I used to dread everyday . Life is too short. If your in a miserable , degrading job. Give your notice. There are still nice people in the world to work with !!

Cons

Coming from start up mayhem , you have to learn to slow down a bit due to the size of the company. But that is a bonus because we actually get things done more efficiently because we only have to do it once .

Advice to Management

With rapid growth sometimes communication gets a little broken. But everyone is empowered to ask questions so if you need help. Just ask. Management is there for your support 100%

"Sr. Director"

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All advantages have been wasted away. Couple years back this outfit could have seriously challenged Amazon and the likes but likely it will not survive couple more years.

Only pros as some have mentioned earlier are decent salaries while you really look for your next job away from madness and get your H1B done through them.Also if you are out of station candidate, use them to get your relocation done etc.

Cons

Just too many to list so will only mention themes- incompetent senior leadership (virtually bulk of VP+ folks), incompetent CEO who has no domain knowledge of the business, constant and maddening re-orgs to hide lack of work delivery, intense politics to get rid of people who can threaten survival of few top leaders who are mostly incompetent and ignorant, ludicrous leveling like few VPs who actually are senior manager level.

If you are smart and can work for other top notch firms in the bay area like google, facebook, apple etc. then stay away unless you want to use them for relocation, H1B etc. as mentioned above. Every few months there are mass exits of people leaving voluntarily while the CEO and CTO spin stories to hide their incompetence and lack of knowledge. Excessive influence of Bentonville and they even inject their own clueless people in ecommerce arm. Most of them fail and waste more time while the world around Walmart.com is everyday innovating. I have a sell rating on this company. It likely will not even come close to giving Amazon any real competition.

Advice to Management

Accept your mistakes and step down. You are the ones who are really destroying this place just to keep your fat paychecks going. Any other Fortune 50 firm, you would have been fired by now. Only once the top levels of leadership are purged, can this company try to salvage what is remaining but time is passing by soon and I think mostly likely it has already passed this company by

"Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology. Freedom to experiment

Cons

Company has grown too big too quickly. It's hard to move up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Trim the unwanted mid management layer.

"IT Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce (More than a year)

Pros

Direct access to C-Level
    Good work/life balance
    Good relationship with other countries teams
    Be part of a primary market project in the largest company in the world

Cons

The headquarter is located in the suburbs of São Paulo, with very difficult access from public transportation
    Very weak compensation programs
    Very unexperienced board of directors

7. "Us company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Huge Company. Very good place to learn and work with awesome developers. Good salary

Cons

Lack of Focus. There's no clarely career plan.

"Ridiculous politics and ineffective leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work/life balance. if you just want to collect a check, this is the place for you. no one cares.

Cons

ridiculously political because management fully entertains politics. no direction, no vision, and endless all-hands droning on about how we're doing better than ever when we've all just been running in circles. not even sure how this company is operating, just a slapped together cake of multiple acquisitions because they couldn't hire. smart people pretty much burn out and leave, burn out and stop working, or stop working and start politicking because it's more effective. org is peppered with totally inefficient people doing whatever they want. don't see a future for this business until real leadership comes in.

Advice to Management

stop all initiatives and think about what you really need to do. don't bring in other people to solve your hard problems. if you want to make the business, then own it and actually step up to take responsibility.

9. "(Brazil) Good place to work"

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce (More than a year)

Pros

Very good place to learn and to work with awesome developers.
    Good salary

Cons

Terrible location.
    There's no career plan.

"Terrible company and politics"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Walmart eCommerce full-time

Pros

Work could be cool depending on the team you are in.

Cons

Terrible leadership. Mid-level management are managers and not leaders.
    Super political set-up
    Managers tend to get people from their previous companies even if they don't have any talent and pollute.
    No direction.
    Product Management is not at all talented.
    Long hours. Weekend work.
    This company is a losing cause stay away.
    Terrible benefits.
    The salary looks good on paper. But in reality it is 30K less because of the benefits.
    This company can never catch with Amazon.

Advice to Management

Hire better people.

"Would never go back"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA

Pros

Good job right out of college. Learned a lot from my managers. They offer volunteer hours if you want to volunteer with your team.

Cons

Work life balance around the holidays is non existent. Couldn't visit family for thanksgiving for 4 years. Pay in operations isn't great.

Advice to Management

During the holidays, it wouldn't hurt to let your employees work from home instead of being required to be in the office every day between Black Friday and Christmas.