Walmart eCommerce "ecommerce" Reviews | Glassdoor

Walmart eCommerce Employee Reviews about "ecommerce"

Updated Sep 10, 2019

3.2
Walmart eCommerce CEO Marc Lore
Marc Lore
Pros
  • "High base salary; good work-life balance; high-potential work(in 122 reviews)

• "exposure to different areas of ecommerce(in 37 reviews)

Reviews about "ecommerce"

Return to all Reviews

"Great Environment, Strong Engineering Maturity"

Current Employee - Infrastructure Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for less than a year

Pros

1) So far a month in, and the leadership and team at Walmart Media Group has been phenomenal so far. 2) The infrastructure at Walmart helped enable me to do so much more and learned a ton of best practices and development skills. 3) Extremely competitive health benefits and 401k plans. 4) Definitely think engineers at Walmart Media Group could thrive really well. 5) Half of the time we work over at... Sunnyvale, and the other half at San bruno since we work with both ecommerce and walmartlabs. We sit at a unique cornerstone between ecommerce, ad tech, and labs where we work on solving big data problems at Walmart scale using all kinds of open source and clever tech.

Cons

Because Walmart Media Group is growing so fast like a rocketship startup, we're running out of space pretty fast.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing, continue collecting feedback from us every now and then, and stay awesome!

Walmart eCommerce2019-06-21
  2. "Great experience!"

Former Employee - Senior Business Operations Support

I worked at Walmart eCommerce full-time

Pros

Great managers, learned a lot about the company and eCommerce, super smart people in the Product teams, great benefits

Cons

Long hours, work/life balance was mainly work, no career path in my organization.

Walmart eCommerce2019-09-10
  3. "Great place to start a career"

Current Employee - Planning Analyst

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time

Pros

Lots of exposure to different aspects of running an ecommerce business

Cons

Upward mobility is very limited

Walmart eCommerce2019-08-12
  4. "great starter job out of college"

Current Employee - Category Specialist in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than a year

Pros

exposure to different areas of ecommerce

Cons

unclear career path growth for specialists

Walmart eCommerce2019-06-17
  5. "Good experience"

Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce

Pros

Walmart gave me opportunities to invent the future of eCommerce and work besides very talented engineers, many of which came from startup acquisitions.

Cons

My experience at Walmart was exception. But it varies depending on your Manager and VP. There are plenty of folks trapped doing tech migrations.

Walmart eCommerce2019-01-10

"Very big company"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you claim to have built a solution that can scale heights, this is one place to confirm that claim. lots of data (stores, ecommerce, dcs etc). very big company (so lots of opportunities internally), good bonus. Will find really smart people at various levels. Lot of cultural changes after Jet acquisition (in a good way). unlimited PTO, friday lunch(not the best though), happy hours etc...

Cons

Adoption of new technologies takes significant time compared to other companies nearby due to their large scale and production impacts, hence learning/hands on gets impacted. Company wants to move at a greater pace but fails to realize that several underlying homegrown solutions/frameworks can't even scale.

Advice to Management

Keep the pace going on.

Walmart eCommerce2018-05-14

"Infighting at its worst; Fear-based decision making; Insecure Leaders"

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Walmart eCommerce has some smart and very talented individuals. However, the mantra in Bentonville is 'go along to get along" - antithetical to innovation and what tends to attract (and keep) tech talent.

Cons

Walmart doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up. On paper, they are doing the right things - buying companies, making partnerships, hiring smart people. However, it all falls down in the execution as the leaders in Bentonville don't REALLY want or accept the new, diverse, disruptive thinking that all brings. Instead, they just want the revenue and the smart people they've hired or acquired to keep... their mouths shut and to smile and nod and to be grateful they part of Walmart. This is made very clear when we are told to "behave ourselves" or when the new talent is excluded entirely from business-critical meetings.

Advice to Management

Don't hire smart, successful external hires if you plan to just bury them in the org below a bunch people who have been at Walmart their entire career who fear versus embrace change and aren't open to learning or hearing diverse perspectives. That company in the North West is going to eat our lunch while we're worrying about why someone more junior said the smartest thing on the conference call. Who cares? If... you're too insecure to lead, you're probably in the wrong position.

Walmart eCommerce2018-05-07
  8. "Walmart eCommerce is a Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Security Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Walmart eCommerce is a great place to work. Smart individuals with passion for excellence. Good work life balance. Challenging projects.

Cons

Sometimes the teams at Walmart eCommerce can get bogged down by processes, meetings, management, etc. Big organization with lots of different teams. Hard to track.

Advice to Management

Let your engineers run the company. Give them the tools they need to get the job done and get out of the way.

Walmart eCommerce2018-03-28
  9. "Vudu - Walmart's Streaming Movies & TV Service"

Current Employee - Marketing in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- teams are small so there aren't a lot of operational processes that slow down getting programs in market - execs care about everyone so they are always advocating for us and are open to suggestions and ideas - collaborative work environment where we talk about movies & tv all the time - feels like a startup but we have a lot of benefits and opportunities since we're part of the Walmart eCommerce organization... (events, training, etc)

Cons

- focus on being in the office - curved annual salary / bonus so each year you may not get a raise or a bonus

Walmart eCommerce2018-02-13

"Category Specialist"

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time

Pros

- Benefits - Work life balance - Casual dress code - Free parking on site - Real experience in managing a product category - Company as a whole is going the right direction in terms of growth and brand equity - A lot of exciting activity going on in the ecommerce space, and Walmart seems to be pivoting and innovating accordingly

Cons

- Mediocre training and resources to learn and develop as an employee - A lot of politics - Very restricted room for growth in this position, seeing as hundreds of people are being hired, the company will want CSs to stay in their role for as long as possible. - You will eventually be doing work that is well above your role in the hierarchy, yet not be fairly compensated/ promoted for the work. Meritocracy is... nonexistant. - Very inefficient processes, lack of communication, lack of collaboration, and most employees are simply complacent. Not the place to work if you are driven.

Advice to Management

I have respect for Marc Lore as our CEO, and I sincerely hope he's able to turn things around internally.

Walmart eCommerce2018-01-07