Walt Disney Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Bob Iger
1,504 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Difficult to strike for work-life balance as headcount was stringent" (in 89 reviews)

• "Prepare to be standing up long hours" (in 193 reviews)

1. "Was pretty fine"

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, benefits.

Cons

Careers can move sloooooooowwww. Wage not super competitive.

2. "Great place to work"

I worked at Walt Disney Company (More than a year)

Pros

Smart and friendly people
    Disney perks

Cons

Big corporation - can be slower moving

3. "It's a good job if you knew what you're getting yourself into"

Former Employee - Merchandise Host in Kissimmee, FL
    Former Employee - Merchandise Host in Kissimmee, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young co-workers you might be able to befriend, lots of international workers and guests, and can be a fun experience.

Cons

Relatively low pay for the guest service you're providing, and (at times) undesirable guest interaction experiences.

Advice to Management

Every company and corporation has its own good and bad managers. Disney is no exception.

4. "intern"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

got paid at least ten dollars an hour

Cons

depends on what job you get

"Great Company - Continue Seeking Improvements"

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company really does some of the best work in and around the area that they are in. Always seeking to be innovative and create new ideas... and you get to be a part of it. Simply put, it was amazing to be surrounded by the work that you did.

The people who were making it happen were also some of the brightest in their industry. It was fun to collaborate with people and trying to make next generation technology with such interesting constraints.

Benefits-wise, the company is super progressive and definitely one of the top places to work at. Paternity/Maternity leave, PTO, sick days, WFH... by the time I left, I had over 5-6 weeks of time built up - even with taking sick days, that's how generous they were with the time. Obviously, Disney perks were great as well - free admission to the parks (including your partner and dependents), ESPN/ABC streaming, discounts, etc... Obviously retirement, health insurance, and additional onsite perks were available. (ie. cafeterias, on-site gym, nursing rooms, etc.)

Cons

Not everyone's experience is the same and I certainly will admit that I'm an anomaly in the group - My time there was spent trying to play a lot of politics. I was in the same role for over almost a decade and was not able to move up in either position or pay. By the end of my time, management was starting to make attempts to move me up but it was already too late for me. I had certain life events that had happened that forced me to make a move out of the company.

In addition, I was in a very hostile work environment for almost half my time there. The combination of the right cast members, lack of upper management supervision, and my own personal attitude contributed to the hostile work environment. Lots of closed door meetings, yelling at partners, and lack of cooperation caused the environment to be tense. Thankfully, I got out of that specific environment a year before I left the company and am glad to say that is not the norm for Disney.

I was paid really poorly, but I came from the bottom - literally - working hourly in operations and moving up. I had multiple conversations with my leaders about my pay and all of them denied me. Either due to budget constraints or there were other people who were ahead of me that they chose to move up. If you choose to go the internal route, be prepared to fight for your worth. As mentioned above, playing politics is the game.

Also, if you were hourly, it was really difficult to perform professional-level jobs while sticking to 40 hours. Many people took their work home to finish writing e-mails, creating documents, etc. While this was openly discouraged, most of us found it hard to figure out how to fit all of our professional work into 40 hrs a week when we were tied up in collaboration meetings for half the week.

Advice to Management

Keep opening the door for open and honest feedback. Change will only happen when you promote a culture of transparency!

6. "Incredible people, fabulous perks, rock-bottom wages"

Former Employee - Guest Relations Cast Member in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Relations Cast Member in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Walt Disney company is full of compassionate people who love what they do.

Cons

You have to love what you to do work here because the work is deeply underpaid.

Advice to Management

Transparency earns you credit with your team!

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay
    Flexibility
    Park Entry Benefits
    Aspire Program
    In the loop on events going on throughout the parks

Cons

May work holidays
    Individual Raise not possible

8. "Excellent company"

Former Employee - Cast Memebr in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Cast Memebr in Orlando, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours
    Fun environment
    Good perks
    Very nice experience in general

Cons

Hard to climb the ladder
    Some people are too fanagic

9. "Financial Planning and Analysis, handles forecasting, budgeting, quarterly reporting and long term strategic plan."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great dynamics and exposure , challenging environment, staff with expertise, strong management team

Cons

Promotional opportunities are very limited and takes too long to grow a career vs competitors

10. "Good experience, but YMMV"

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time

Pros

A lot of these benefits have decreased since I left, so keep that in mind:
    1) Great for families because you get a pass that lets you get into Disney for you and your children. It has blackout dates, but it is a nice thing if you can make it work. During the holidays, you get an additional set of tickets so you can let additional people in.
    2) Health Insurance is on par with a lot of other companies. You have your range of options HDHP, PPO, HMO, etc.
    3) Vacation is set to 3 weeks and increases after 5 and 10 years. You get 10 sick days that is separate from your PTO days.
    4) Retirement is a standard amount (3-4%, but I forget the exact amount)
    5) Free moving screenings for you and your family.

The total benefits package is pretty standard, but good.

Now anyone who reads a review for Disney should factor in that the company is so large and your individual team can have such an impact on how you feel about the company. Personally, I was on a great team and enjoyed my time at Disney. At the same time, other peers in other groups worked much longer and did not enjoy it nearly as much. It is a crapshoot whether you might enjoy working at Disney.

Cons

The biggest downside is the constant change through acquisitions or process improvements. This results in layoffs being frequent. It felt like there was always some sort of reorg on a yearly basis that resulted in some group being impacted. This is business as usual for a large company, but something to keep in mind. Don't go into the company expecting you will be here forever. You will be here for as long as the company needs you and then promptly disposed of.