Walt Disney Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Walt Disney Company President, CEO, and Director Bob Iger
Bob Iger

Pros
Cons
  • It can be difficult to manage work/life balance (in 63 reviews)

• Long hours, large amount of managers (in 133 reviews)

"Ruined the magic"

Former Employee - Teacher in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Glendale, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee Disney park pass and good cafeteria

Cons

Co workers were mean and lying! The directors were micromanaged, the work was intense and given very little time to actually do that work! We were expected to be Disney happy all the time and that's not even realistic!!

Advice to Management

Treat people like human beings! Stop bringing out the worst in them by putting them down

"Business Analyst"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Glendale, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, Good coworkers, and nice workspace

Cons

No room for growth, no option to convert, meat grinder.

"Magic Kingdom"

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Host in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Host in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company (More than a year)

Pros

Free tickets and comp passes

Cons

They treat employees very badly, long hours with very little time for breaks, can not get into park for special occasions, no recognition for employees, if they decide you have to work more hours they wont let you leave without having a formal complain in your folder.

Advice to Management

treat employees with more respect.

"Sr. Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Analyst in Orlando, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules, friendly colleagues, full of fun

Cons

not challenging, mostly repeating work, unsure leadership, wrong strategies

5. "Use your own Four Keys"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company (Less than a year)

Pros

It's Disney. It's a unique experience. There is the free park access and discounts, that I couldn't afford with my pay. The guest, many of your co-workers, leaders, cast members, and DCP students, are so much fun. The amount of the security representative that have 5 to 20 years of military and law enforcement, as well as bachelor degree is at a very high percentage (estimating 85%). there is a vast amount of experience.

I hated getting my picture taken before this job. I don't know how many special needs, make a wish, seniors, and all around great guest have pictures with me and other cast members. People that appreciate every possible part of the Disney experience. For all of the Cons...it's a life changing experience and why so many rate it higher than it is.

Cons

There is a small percentage of guest that are ignorant, rude, or racist (it doesn't matter what color you or they are). Everyone goes through bag check that has a bag. The metal detectors are random or 100%. You are not being profiled.......unless you really think that the dude with tattoo's, the guy with the beard, the black man, the 80 year old woman with a walker, the guy being checked in the wheel cheer, and the special needs all fit the same profile. If you really feel that you are that intimidating, know the 80 year old woman I am holding her hand to help her walk through is tougher than you...she is not whining.

Full time <$15,000 a year. You better have additional income, or live stacked up in an house.

Ever changing shifts. You work on one of 3 shifts. Days can be 4am until 5pm. You will work a 6 or 8 hour shift in that time frame. That time frame changes daily. Same with swings between 1pm and 2am. Your schedules are only locked in for a week. Don't make plans too far out. Know that, like any job, you can only be late so many times. Unlike those jobs, these time schedules can change, even when they are set in stone after Tuesday night.

Union: Unions have their benefits and set backs. Because Disney is great for retirees, don't expect upward mobility. If you get it, cherish...unless they take it back.

Advice to Management

For Keys:
    Safety
    Courtesy
    Show
    Efficiency

With the way the world is, these parks need more security and I know WDW is working on it. To do that properly, the transportation and security need to be upgraded, all of the entrances need improved and reworked (Efficiently). This isn't on the managers. This is on that senior leadership. When you exit parks, especially Magic Kingdom, it is ever changing and chaos. Especially at night (Efficiency). At night, not all of the bag checks have lights and security are left fending with their flashlights (Efficiency). It's cumbersome and in effective. They place these low light battery operated clip on pole lights that do not actually help, they are more of a "check the box, we can claim safety". This is ridiculous for the security, foremen, and guest. This also makes staying aware of the crowd around you tumultuous. When transportation breaks down (please upgrade the monorails) , information isn't relayed "Efficiently". No cast departments cross talk. Security, touch points, and others cast members are left to be reactionary. Not all signs and entrances are marked clearly. Again, especially at night, the guest can walk back and forth looking for the proper place to go to get to their destination, going through bag check multiple times, totally lost (Efficiency). The center exit is so small and is marked with a big exit sign, but is always clogged up being used as a "no bag check". This causes a choke point and backups. People then exit through the bag checks....because they don't know where to go. This makes safety and the job of security very hard. Rightfully so, the guest get absolutely infuriated. In addition, they've been dealing with other guest and being on their feet for 6 or more hours. It's the cast members that become the physical representative of Disney and the point of complaints. Using the radio is almost useless with the amount of traffic.

Use some of that experience on your lines, higher some civil "Imagineers", hire some large event planners, and re work the efficiency and safety of the park entrances.

6. "Hated working for Disney"

Former Intern - Chemical Intern in Orlando, FL
    Former Intern - Chemical Intern in Orlando, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was a professional Intern. I hated the people I worked with and lived with. They were stuck up and had real personality flaws.

Cons

My manager was the worst. He never let me lead anything and he refused to do any of the work related to being a manager. I had to be trained by my co-workers that did not have a lot of experience them self's.

Advice to Management

Screen people better. Just because someone went to a good school and got a 3.0 does not mean that they can work in a group.

7. "Cool products but terrible work culture"

Former Employee - Senior Software Test Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Test Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work for a well respected brand name. Free park tickets plus other Disney discounts. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Lack of ownership of products. Info and designs are received top down not allowing for further discussions. Heavily contingent staff. Most folks just care about logging 8 hours of work instead of going above and beyond to make products better. Full time employees focus more on moving up the corporate ladder.

Advice to Management

Hire less contingent staff and more full time employees to help create a sense of ownership. Encourage collaboration for all employees despite what their title is. Get rid of dead weight employees that tend to be negative and not helpful on any project.

8. "Not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Character Attendant in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Character Attendant in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits that some people might take for granted, such as free admission to the parks and discounts; Fellow employees are, for the most part, happy, and are all working towards a common goal.

Cons

Management is pretty shotty and there are too many people that you have to answer to; Too many rules (so much so that you're always afraid you're going to step on somebody's toes)

"Stay away from BPAC"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brand name recognition, free park entry

Cons

Terrible terrible terrible "management". Amateur at best. Favoritism and a serious lack of diversity.

The problem with the Business Planning and Analysis department is that there is no real work to do, so they fill the time with petty projects and petty feedback. The amount of time wasted is appalling. They will also make you sit there till sometimes 9pm even if there is no real work to do. The two female managers are at each others throats and are both horrible at managing people. Please do yourself a favor and stay away.

Advice to Management

Please go learn basic professionalism and management skills.Stop letting best friends report to each other, so unprofessional.

10. "Disney Photo Imaging"

Current Employee - DPI in Windermere, FL
    Current Employee - DPI in Windermere, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the benefits are better than average. Park entrance if your into going to the patks. This is only when your not blocked out from all major events.

Cons

Low pay for most cast. Hours are not flexible for hourly cast. In caring and cold leadership. For where I live this is the most accessable type of employment. Traffic to and from work using backstage roads is horrible

Advice to Management

Care about your cast and help them with whatever you can. Really help not just lip service. Be Honest!

Showing 115 of 2,530 reviews