Walter Reed Army Institute of Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great job and work environment."

Former Employee - Research Technician in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Research Technician in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great, friendly positive atmosphere. Great science done here! Previously I was at NIH and I liked it here much better. Great work life balance.

Cons

Some government red tape for getting some things completed or ordered. Ordering reagents took a long time. And ordering large items was also tedious and lengthy.

2. "Former U.S. Soldier 68-K"

Former Employee - P-9 Research Specialist in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - P-9 Research Specialist in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WRAIR has solid leadership for military personnel modeling professional skills to young Soldiers. Good location just 2 miles from Washington D.C. border and local commissary on post to do shopping along with areas to workout after work.

Cons

Can feel super strict and and not be a good fit for military personnel who have emotional or psychological issues. Not sure about civilian point of view but working here as military influenced my decision to want to be a civilian again because of it's culture.

Advice to Management

For military professionals who are ETS-ing from WRAIR there should be more open vacancies for soldiers who want to continue working as a civilian.

3. "Research Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many resources and opportunities to expand your professional network.

Cons

Sexism is very much apparent within the army and this is also extends to the civilians working in laboratories. The higher ups do not acknowledge these events when brought to their attention, especially if the incidents involved a PI. It highly depends what laboratory you work in. The one I worked in had an extremely tense environment especially around the PI and was not a fun place to walk into on Monday morning. If you are a genuinely hard worker and want to succeed in science this is NOT the place for you.

4. "fairly good staff, terrible bureaucracy"

Current Employee - NRC Postdoctoral Research Associate in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - NRC Postdoctoral Research Associate in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commander (COL Whitmer) is great and has some lovely initiatives about uniting the institute.

Cons

Working within govt bureaucracy takes some real patience and getting used to. Also people without qualifications or who are poor employees seem to get held onto longer than they should

Advice to Management

Make intranet and services clear and available to all - including contractors!

5. "Great place to work at the Pilot Bioproduction Facility"

Former Employee - Senior Down Stream Specialist in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Down Stream Specialist in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good environment to work, a lot of work.

Cons

Contract position, no place to grow

Advice to Management

Hope it will be the same

6. "Dealing with the military can be tough"

I have been working at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research full-time

Pros

Good gap year if grad school is on the horizon

Cons

salary is not competitive, low morale, no room for growth

7. "Translational Medicine"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great ground level people with superior skill sets, dedication and work ethic. Super team effort with a drive to succeed.

Cons

Poor relationship with Army product sponsor and many dysfunctional challenges

8. "Student Researcher"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's great for students as there's a lot of down time in between studies. The mentors are great because they're always willing to help and will push you to be better.

Cons

The atmosphere isn't all that great. It's a very kill or be killed attitude amongst the lab members. Lack of communication.

Advice to Management

Utilize your student workers properly. We want as much experience as possible; don't give all the work to a select few. Equally share the work.

9. "WRAIR"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours and updated laboratories, all staff are polite and the environment is professional and well organized.

Cons

Because of the tight structure it can take more time to get things done.

10. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Student Aide in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Student Aide in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

Hands-on experience with many scientists and important people. If you're a STEM major, this will definitely look great on your resume.

Cons

Interviewing process was very informal. I felt like I didn't get hired because of my qualifications, but because I knew somebody who worked there. Getting in-processed and out-processed is a pain, and so is the training.

Advice to Management

Try to refinance the student program so students can learn and grow at WRAIR!