Walter Reed Army Institute of Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Satisfying if slightly hectic"

Pros

Good Pay. Interesting job.Got to work with kids and science.

Cons

Crazy supervisors, lack of communication and general craziness.

2. "The Walter Reed Army Institute of Research--once a great place to work"

Former Employee - Research Microbiologist in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Research Microbiologist in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There were a great many different research projects ongoing from vaccine research and development to the multi-drug resistant organisms and how they work. There are opportunities to work in BSL 1 thru 3, with various pathogens both bacterial and viral. Most of the work in some way will benefit the US Military that are fighting overseas in the Middle East and other parts of the world.

Cons

I retired in Nov 2011 and had knee replacement surgery. At 62, I was at the peak of my career there in vaccine R&D and found that it was very difficult to get re-hired as a contractor, even though the bulk of my career (32 years) was spent between WRAIR at 16th and Dahlia in the District and on Brookville Dr. In order to be considered you must contact the correct contractor for very specific jobs. There are a variety of nationalities working there, both foreign nationals as well as US citizens as well as US Military both officers and enlisted. Sometimes the cultural differences as well as the military vs civilian differences require a great deal of patience and tolerance.

Advice to Management

Open up the hiring to retirees, especially those who have gained a great deal of experience and know how to navigate the bureaucracy and have had the necessary experience to deal with both civilian and military as well as US citizens and foreign nationals.

3. "WRAIR"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours and updated laboratories, all staff are polite and the environment is professional and well organized.

Cons

Because of the tight structure it can take more time to get things done.

5. "Average"

Pros

Walter Reed Army Institute of Research is a great place to gain experience. I'm satisfied with my current position and I look forward to future advancement opportunities.

Cons

The salary is average and the workload can be overwhelming at times. Other than that, I'm satisfied with my position.

Advice to Management

I think my supervisor does a great job at managing others. I'm thankful that he/she does not act as a micro manager.

6. "WRAIR experience"

I have been working at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research full-time

Pros

Diversity of opportunities for research, DOD funding opportunities, translational research

Cons

Government bureaucracy, turn over of administration based on military assignment

"very relaxed but must be proactive"

Former Employee - Research Technician in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Research Technician in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very relaxed and flexible environment. very low stress. Perfect job for a student. Some groups are doing some great research and there are opportunities for collaborations and being proactive on other studies. Open 24/7, gym and showers, play soccer on fridays. Made a number of good friends.

Cons

Sometimes was not challenging at all. it was quite easy to do nothing all day and just goof around. the research itself seemed kinda lacking and slow paced, especially compared to NIH. Publications were mostly non-existent and the workforce was often not very ambitious.

Advice to Management

There is not much room for growth within the groups as positions are usually static. Maybe create promotions i.e. lab tech 1, 2, 3 etc with pay increases depending on performance.

8. "Lots of free time for students"

Current Employee - Student Research Technician in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Student Research Technician in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of free time for completing homework; lots of great opportunities for research experience; hands on experience on studies; flexible hours.

Cons

Little to no cycling when scheduling over night shifts.

9. "Student Researcher"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's great for students as there's a lot of down time in between studies. The mentors are great because they're always willing to help and will push you to be better.

Cons

The atmosphere isn't all that great. It's a very kill or be killed attitude amongst the lab members. Lack of communication.

Advice to Management

Utilize your student workers properly. We want as much experience as possible; don't give all the work to a select few. Equally share the work.

10. "Great place to work at the Pilot Bioproduction Facility"

Former Employee - Senior Down Stream Specialist in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Down Stream Specialist in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

Good environment to work, a lot of work.

Cons

Contract position, no place to grow

Advice to Management

Hope it will be the same

11. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of freedom and interesting work; I was in the clinical research side and it was lot of fun b/c the work and the research was interesting.

Cons

Not lot of support system. If you are on the bottom of the toting pole, then good luck because you will be blamed for things that you did not do. No accountability whatsoever. Good luck if you are a contractor and not a government employee b/c you will not be climbing the proverbial ladder.

Advice to Management

Better support system.