Wargaming.net Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wargaming.net CEO owner Victor Kislyi
Victor Kislyi

Pros
  • World wide known projects, such as World of Tanks - you feel really making something big and important (in 7 reviews)

• Very good office building with kitchen and food (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Many on the senior management team are looking up to keep their jobs (in 4 reviews)

• The consequences of exponential growth - a lot of middle-management and people who get their positions only because they are "veterans" (in 3 reviews)

1. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Wargaming.net full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am at the Seattle studio of Wargaming (in Redmond), and I can say it is easily one of the best places I have worked in my career in videos games. They genuinely care about their people and about the quality of their project, and they are well-financed by World of Tanks money, which really helps with security.

Cons

None of these are deal-killers: It's a truly global company, much more popular in Russia and the former Soviet Union than in North America, so there are cultural things to get used to if you're American. Also, it's a fairly young company that got successful really quickly, and there have been some growing pains. I do think they are aware of most of those, and are handling them we well as anyone could.

Advice to Management

I'd advise Wargaming management not to lose their soul as they become larger. There is a tendency to look at a growing company and think they have to trade in their identity. They do need to create structures that increase communication to a lot of people, but Wargaming has a good core, and they should never lose track of that.

"Great "start" company but not a forever job"

I have been working at Wargaming.net full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Depending on what studio you're working for, your co-workers become your second family
    -Great for experience and connections
    -Events
    -Free food!
    -Benefits are great
    -If you have questions, you get answers almost immediately

Cons

-The problem with Wargaming is that it grew way too quickly which led to a very long list of problems, some still ongoing
    -They don't have any idea about the future and the company is hanging on by one game
    -It's very hard to progress within this company because of the lack of expansion, so if you want to be an artist or a writer, this is NOT the company for you (only one game here)
    -If you get a promotion, be prepared to go through transition HELL and cleaning up people's messes
    -The pay is bad like really bad and plenty of people work unpaid OT
    -Clear disconnect between departments
    -Be prepared because 70% of your job is downtime (again, there's only 1 game so...)
    -This is NOT a forever job

Advice to Management

More work needs to be done internally and please, up the pay. Create more than one game and have a solid plan for the future.

3. "Great place to work"

I worked at Wargaming.net full-time

Pros

Everyone is friendly and management encourages creativity.

Cons

Only con is that the benefits were not competitive with other tech companies

5. "Interesting place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Wargaming.net full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good health insurance, close to public transportation,learning opportunities and the ability to travel

Cons

Unfortunately, there are way too many cons in the Chicago office. Your longevity here basically depends upon if Executive Management appreciates your contributions. A collaborative work environment is not promoted or really even tolerated. Honestly, certain members of Executive Management are very rude most of the time and tend to intimidate people if they express a different view point from them. In terms of other work environment issues, we used to have free monthly activities and lot of good free foods since many of us have to work extended hours. All that stopped. Now all we get is limited granola bars and crappy cereal. It used to be so much better. it really has gone downhill within the last year.

Advice to Management

it is time for a rehaul in management and the social scene at Wargaming Chicago. It is time to promote a happy work environment instead of the negative one currently being thrusted upon us by certain members of management.

6. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Farmer in Wellington, FL
    Former Employee - Farmer in Wellington, FL

I worked at Wargaming.net part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good advice and friendly workers

Cons

Traveling to other countries is a pain

Advice to Management

sdqffefwefgdfdsfwetrw4etf

7. "Excellent video game company"

I worked at Wargaming.net full-time

Pros

Working with very bright people, on projects that are good quality.

Cons

Difficult to advance, somewhat male dominated culture (as are most game companies).

Advice to Management

More delegation of work to project management, and better development of managers.

"Wargaming"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Wargaming.net full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Great people (culture differs per-studio)
    Career growth

Cons

Terrible, outdated technology
    No long-term goals
    Narrow product line, no flexibility at all (company lives off 1 game for last 5 years)
    Nasty politics

Advice to Management

Fire half of people in Minsk, fire half the management on Cyprus. Aggressively start working on new IP, acquire or develop new engine. Unify the technology for the company studios.

9. "Environment Artist"

Current Employee - 3D Environment Artist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - 3D Environment Artist in Seattle, WA

Pros

Awesome team.
    Great Leads.
    Excellent atmosphere.
    Relaxed and non stressful environment.

Cons

Not much experience in Triple A titles

Advice to Management

More team activities

"If you played their games and your interested this can be a great job for you."

Current Employee - Producer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Producer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Wargaming.net full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a fun job and fun people. We get free snacks and get great rewards. Really fun having a job here in wargaming

Cons

Can't be too lazy otherwise you might get fired. Eye strain and back aches sometimes.might hurt your vision and parts of your body.

"Hit/Miss (the two-star review is MY experience, many others disagree with me)"

Former Employee - Artist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Artist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Wargaming.net full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Nice benefits, relatively decent pay.
    - Well known & respected project.
    - Some (NOT ALL!) great & talented people to work with.
    - Best game dev company in Chicago… BUT…

Cons

- …BUT, that's not saying much, Chicago is just NOT a hub for game development. If you want to stay in Chicago, (and I completely understand if you do) your options are few, and not very good.

- the "big guy" in Chicago gets mixed reviews… people either love or hate him. Those who hate him usually say he's arrogant and condescending, those who love him think he's the greatest.

Here is a more balanced opinion:

IF he respects you, congratulations, you're in.

IF he starts being a jerk to you, don't hesitate to dust-off your resume and start looking. His middle-managers are talking smack about you, and (weather it's justified or not) you got a target on your back.

- SOME (again, not all) middle managers (who he trusts a little too much) can be very sneaky…making YOU look bad makes THEM look good, and they are not above utilizing this age-old tactic.

To be fair, this happens at every company in every industry.

Advice to Management

THIS GOES OUT TO ALL CHICAGO GAME DEV COMPANIES:

Next time you hire or promote someone to an art lead or art director, could you just… oh, I don't know…

*GLANCE* AT THEIR PORTFOLIO?

(Sorry, I've been triggered, I'm on a roll now.)

Seriously, WHAT IS UP WITH YOU CHICAGO GAME DEVELOPERS?

I have looked at the online portfolios of EVERY lead artist at EVERY Chicago game dev studio…THEIR ART IS HORRIBLE!

Let me clarify, the regular artists are fine. (In fact, a lot of them are too good for Chicago, they need to move to California or Texas where they'll have many opportunities for greatness.) But for some reason, the people with NO TALENT keep getting promoted in Chicago, and it's astounding to me.

If there is a reason why Chicago is not known to be a hub for game development, I'M PRETTY SURE THIS IS IT!

Whew! (Wipes sweat off brow.)

Okay, so, yeah. Wargaming. Try it, maybe it'll work out, (it does work out for some.) If it doesn't, PLEASE don't be discouraged…there are plenty of better studios. Outside Chicago. ;)