Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment President Ronald J. Sanders
Ronald J. Sanders

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You'll work with great people who are passionate about TV & Film (in 8 reviews)

• WBHE has always been considerate of work-life balance, although it may vary depending on your supervisor (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • After recent layoffs, the employees feel over-worked and under-appreciated (in 3 reviews)

• Too many VPs, EVPs, SVPs, all responsible for same thing, which causes way too much political turbulence and anxiety across the organization (in 2 reviews)

1. "Horrible Experience"

I worked at Warner Bros. Home Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a lot to say here. Throughout my 12 year career it was by far my worst experience with a company.

Cons

1. Recruiting misled me to believe I'd end up making $30k+ more annually than my previous job's salary based on the fact that the job was hourly (despite having a Manager title) and I'd be making a ton in OT. Though my gut was telling me otherwise I went ahead and accepted. A few months into the job my VP instituted an OT cap. It was a trust killer and I began looking for other roles immediately.

2. My direct supervisor had a miserable disposition. She refused to provide any sort of positive feedback. In my 16 months there I was told "good job" only once. When it happened I couldn't believe it. The flip side is she was more than willing to shell out daily briefings of even the slightest shortcomings in your work. She had strong technical skills but as a leader, teacher, and motivator she was abhorrent.

3. My VP wasn't much better. He had an equally miserable disposition and took it out on those around him through intimidation and bullying. He loved to pontificate his views of the business to his team but had no idea how to engage them in a shared mission to bring out their best. It's never a good sign when during your first 2 months, 3 separate people who have worked on his team approach you and tell you how bad they feel for you. This actually happened.

If you're considering a role here, especially in finance, be sure to ask lots of questions of both your recruiter and your potential bosses. Recruiting was at best sloppy and at worst duplicitous. Other departments there seemed happier but any company that allows the type of culture I was exposed to to develop needs to be scrutinized.

I've moved on to a much better role and am glad the experience is in the rearview mirror. I'd just hate for someone else's future to be what I experienced.

Advice to Management

When a department has rampant turnover, it probably wouldn't hurt to poke around and find out why.

2. "Avoid if you can"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Burbank, CA

Pros

Free movies
    Payment based on actual hours worked.

Cons

Always threat of job loss
    Employees not valued as expected

Advice to Management

Appreciate the value of employees.

"There are better entertainment companies out there"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Burbank, CA

I worked at Warner Bros. Home Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to get your initial entertainment experience but expect to work long hours. If you are fortunate enough to work with one of the few dedicated employees, you will learn alot. The actual Studio lot is probably the best one of all the Studios to see celebrities.

Cons

Work-life balance is poor. Non-exempt employees like myself, worked weekends, holidays and weekly overtime with no overtime pay. Management turned a blind eye to this. They just wanted the work done. Since so much of the work is outsourced (from Human Resource functions to Technology), there's no accountability or pride in work and it takes a long time to get anything done. Most of the workload falls on a few dedicated employees. Management seems checked out and focuses on the bottom line and their bonuses which has led to layoffs even though the workload hasn't decreased. In turn, the employees are checked out and many are looking for employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Stop the constant outsourcing and reorganizations so you can meet your quarterly Wall Street numbers. Focus on your most valuable resource--the permanent employees--otherwise the company will continue into a downward spiral. The exceptional employees will continue to leave for competing entertainment companies and WB will be left with inexperienced employees who are desperate to work at an entertainment company but will leave too as soon as they have some experience.

"Worst experience of my life. Stay away from WB-ADS."

Current Contractor - Senior Developer in Burbank, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Developer in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Warner Bros. Home Entertainment as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

No Pros. I was a contractor and even though we put in lot of hours working hard, there was no praise or support given. Worst. Worst client to work for.

Cons

Worse client I ever worked with.
    Long hours.
    No praise or help or support.
    Expectation is like crazy. They expect people to work 24 hours.
    They don't know what to work on and then expect people to deliver on time. First they should clear what they really want and where they want to go with a project and should have real world expectations

Advice to Management

They should try to stay real world. People are not their slaves and don't just work for them. They have personal lives too.

"NA"

Pros

WB is a very progressive company trying to survive in a rapidly shrinking business

Cons

A consistent work day of 10-13 hours is more the norm than unusual. The outward suggestion of "work life balance" is farcical