Warner Bros. Records Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Todd Moscowitz

Pros
  • I learned a lot about the industry as a whole, as well as marketing within the music industry (in 5 reviews)

• You can learn a lot about the music industry in a short amount of time (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Although it was a good experience there were a few cons (in 3 reviews)

• A general lack of work at times (in 2 reviews)

1. "Promotion & Marketing Manager"

I worked at Warner Bros. Records full-time

Pros

Smart, forward thinking group of individuals.

Cons

Limited room for growth for individuals with interests and passion for multiple departments.

"Poor leadership, No focus, No vision"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Warner Bros. Records full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks and benefits (healthcare, gym discounts, concert tickets, etc.)

Cons

The company does not know how to evolve. Stuck in the past. Not great at delegating work or focusing on more than a couple projects at a time. All of the young staff has left, seems to be just older/antiquated staff who don't care much about evolving with the changing music industry or doing more than what is required of their 9-5. The whole executive staff seems to run on ego and only care about themselves. Lots of bullying, really toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Hire more young people and listen to them. Empower them to do their jobs. Take some chances and try new things.

3. "Marketing Intern"

Pros

I learned a lot about the industry as a whole, as well as marketing within the music industry.

Cons

There were unrealistic expectations about the time commitment for unpaid interns.

Advice to Management

Considering all interns are required to also be full-time college students, I think management should be more realistic about how many unpaid hours interns should be expected to work.

5. "Great culture, low upward mobility"

I worked at Warner Bros. Records (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture and Perks, Lots of great people

Cons

Low upward mobility, poor management that is consistently changing

6. "Sound Engineer/Music Producer/Studio Engineer/Live FOH Sound"

Pros

Travelled the world, met amazing people, and worked with incredible artists.

Cons

Stressful and demanding - consuming, around the clock.

7. "Marketing Intern"

Pros

You get to interact with artists and are very involved in day to day operations. It is a fun work environment. Great experience

Cons

Although it was a good experience there were a few cons. The company appeared to be extremely disorganized and the interns were not paid. Additionaly interns all had vastly different experiences

Advice to Management

I believe that management could focus on possibly hiring less interns but making the experience more memorable for the interns who were hired and compensate them.

8. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Dunmore, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Dunmore, PA

I worked at Warner Bros. Records (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working with all departments. ability to grow and learn. employees will help you if you are willing to help yourself.

Cons

High stress. the amount of interns that get hired after internship is very low. Sometime it will feel like you are just a number there.

9. "Once great company"

Pros

Great Company. But outsourcing and stranglehold from NY killing it

Cons

Not as great anymore as NY has nothing to do with the sale of Time.

Advice to Management

Don't kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

10. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Intern in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Burbank, CA

I worked at Warner Bros. Records (Less than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by music lovers. Forward thinking, creative environment (for the most part).

Cons

Intern program was horrible, in my department there were more interns than paid employees. It's clear the company was trying to cut costs and hired unpaid interns to do work that should have been spent on salaried workers. Most of my time was spent getting my manager food and drinks. As a college student, we shouldn't be working for free in the first place, but working for free to be treated like a slave bringing people food? Management was abusive. Everyday I was belittled and yelled at by my boss - I was constantly told I was an incompetent worker. I had always put in 100% effort. I was reprimanded for not doing a perfect job on an ill-defined project with no management guidance. I would never recommend this internship to anyone.

Advice to Management

Treat people as human beings. Interning is scary in the first place, you don't need to set us up for failure. If you're going to hire interns treat them with respect and don't just cattle students through. Foster a positive helpful work environment.

11. "(Warner Elektra Atlantic) - Iconic Company.."

Pros

Great Sales and Promotion staff and a relaxed-team environment. Great new artists (product) and the best artist catalog in the business. Very supportive labels and sister labels that WEA distributes. Warner Bros. Records is an iconic company with a storied past and a visionary A&R department. A highly respected company within the Music Business with the best artist catalog in the business.

Cons

The Music Business has changed dramatically in the past 10 years with the dwindling retail environment and the consumer switch to digital formats. The Majors have been playing catch up in regards to the new Technology, however, they have gotten much better over the years but are still trying to figure out how to not only exist but succeed in this new digital music frontier. Artist Development seems to be an afterthought these days and that is a huge mistake on the labels part. New marketing strategies are lacking. Fresh ideas on how to get music in front of the consumer need to be conceived and orchestrated in order for the labels to be truly successful again. Management staff training was a bit lacking at times when I was there but I have heard that that has improved with the changing of the guard.

Advice to Management

Get back to 'Grass Roots' marketing campaigns by implementing Artist Development back into your Sales and Marketing strategies, so as to turn more potential customers on to more new artists which in turn will help break more new artists. The competition these days is more ferocious than ever and labels need to be acting not only more creatively but also more aggressively when it comes to promoting and marketing their artists product. Much of todays music buying public are unaware of many of the new artists, and that blame falls solely on the labels and their lack of seeing the true importance and need for Artist Development teams in all of the mid-to-large markets throughout the country.