Warner Bros. Records Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Cameron Strang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I learned a lot about the industry as a whole, as well as marketing within the music industry (in 5 reviews)

• You can learn a lot about the music industry in a short amount of time (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and the human resource department rarely ever did their job (in 6 reviews)

• Although it was a good experience there were a few cons (in 3 reviews)

1. "Marketing Intern"

Pros

I learned a lot about the industry as a whole, as well as marketing within the music industry.

Cons

There were unrealistic expectations about the time commitment for unpaid interns.

Advice to Management

Considering all interns are required to also be full-time college students, I think management should be more realistic about how many unpaid hours interns should be expected to work.

2. "Corrupt Management, No Chance at Upward Mobility, Antiquated"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Warner Bros. Records full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the huge amount money pumped into office parties (aka, good food and decor), cool office space, food trucks outside office on a daily basis

Cons

-WBR has too many intern, assistant and coordinator positions. there is virtually no "middle management" for those looking to advance their careers prior to senior director positions. This is done purposely and strategically, so the company can continue to overpay their antiquated senior staff members instead of promote and encourage their younger, eager and forward-thinking staff. This creates a vacuum of negativity, frustration, bullying, and ultimately, a company-wide stalemate. Nothing gets accomplished at WBR. The A&R team is a group of old dinosaurs who continue to sign worthless talent, and the executive/leadership team is a group of men and women who are at the label to collect their substantial paychecks and nothing more.
    -This would be a waste of your time. Do not work in this toxic environment.

"Poor leadership, No focus, No vision"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Warner Bros. Records full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks and benefits (healthcare, gym discounts, concert tickets, etc.)

Cons

The company does not know how to evolve. Stuck in the past. Not great at delegating work or focusing on more than a couple projects at a time. All of the young staff has left, seems to be just older/antiquated staff who don't care much about evolving with the changing music industry or doing more than what is required of their 9-5. The whole executive staff seems to run on ego and only care about themselves. Lots of bullying, really toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Hire more young people and listen to them. Empower them to do their jobs. Take some chances and try new things.

4. "Promotion & Marketing Manager"

I worked at Warner Bros. Records full-time

Pros

Smart, forward thinking group of individuals.

Cons

Limited room for growth for individuals with interests and passion for multiple departments.

5. "Great culture, low upward mobility"

I worked at Warner Bros. Records (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture and Perks, Lots of great people

Cons

Low upward mobility, poor management that is consistently changing

6. "Sound Engineer/Music Producer/Studio Engineer/Live FOH Sound"

Pros

Travelled the world, met amazing people, and worked with incredible artists.

Cons

Stressful and demanding - consuming, around the clock.

7. "Marketing Intern"

Pros

You get to interact with artists and are very involved in day to day operations. It is a fun work environment. Great experience

Cons

Although it was a good experience there were a few cons. The company appeared to be extremely disorganized and the interns were not paid. Additionaly interns all had vastly different experiences

Advice to Management

I believe that management could focus on possibly hiring less interns but making the experience more memorable for the interns who were hired and compensate them.

8. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Dunmore, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Dunmore, PA

I worked at Warner Bros. Records (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working with all departments. ability to grow and learn. employees will help you if you are willing to help yourself.

Cons

High stress. the amount of interns that get hired after internship is very low. Sometime it will feel like you are just a number there.

9. "Once great company"

Pros

Great Company. But outsourcing and stranglehold from NY killing it

Cons

Not as great anymore as NY has nothing to do with the sale of Time.

Advice to Management

Don't kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

10. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Intern in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Burbank, CA

I worked at Warner Bros. Records (Less than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by music lovers. Forward thinking, creative environment (for the most part).

Cons

Intern program was horrible, in my department there were more interns than paid employees. It's clear the company was trying to cut costs and hired unpaid interns to do work that should have been spent on salaried workers. Most of my time was spent getting my manager food and drinks. As a college student, we shouldn't be working for free in the first place, but working for free to be treated like a slave bringing people food? Management was abusive. Everyday I was belittled and yelled at by my boss - I was constantly told I was an incompetent worker. I had always put in 100% effort. I was reprimanded for not doing a perfect job on an ill-defined project with no management guidance. I would never recommend this internship to anyone.

Advice to Management

Treat people as human beings. Interning is scary in the first place, you don't need to set us up for failure. If you're going to hire interns treat them with respect and don't just cattle students through. Foster a positive helpful work environment.