Washington Employment Security Department Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Karen Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Employment Connections Specialist"

Current Employee - Employment Connections Specialist in Kelso, WA
    Current Employee - Employment Connections Specialist in Kelso, WA

I have been working at Washington Employment Security Department full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff, long-term employees, working with the public to find work, training, or education, work straight days, no weekend work.

Cons

Not always enough staff available to cover the front desk and customer service.

2. "ESD Maple Park"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

I have been working at Washington Employment Security Department full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing core staff! They go above and beyond to make sure that they put customers first. Some negative nellies, but overall, good people to work with.

Cons

Lack of management support. Some managers still want to do it themselves instead of letting others do it, denying opportunities to learn and grow. Some managers/leaders still don't know the difference between managing and leadership. ESD is trying to make a change in their culture but it's hard to do so with micromanagers and command and control leaders/managers.

Advice to Management

Rely on your talent. Be inclusive and not exclusive. By doing the work of others sends the message that either you don't trust me to do it or you don't know how to delegate or lead. Out of frustration, this causes staff to leave the organization. Remember, people don't quit their organization - they quit their managers.

3. "Great Experience"

I worked at Washington Employment Security Department full-time

Pros

Great place to work; great growth potential.

Cons

Takes a little longer to receive raise or promotion based on union grasp of this workplace.

"Pretty typical State job - good benefits, nice people, large bureaucracy"

I worked at Washington Employment Security Department full-time

Pros

Pay is ok, but great benefits, genuinely nice, caring co-workers. Staff was pretty diverse which was a plus for me - enjoyed working with people from all different ethnicities and ages. Liked working with the public who are unemployed or underemployed and having the opportunity to provide some help to someone. Because it's large there is a lot of opportunity to move around within the department to other sites/work groups.

Cons

It is a large state department so is rather bureaucratic - leadership is way at the top with lot's of middle men between them and front line staff. Depending on the economy, there can be layoffs. When I started in 2010 unemployment was very high so their staff was full. Over the years, as the unemployment rate has decreased they have downsized and gone through multiple RIFs, but you are union so they try to find options for people. Being a state job you do run into quite a few employees who are just going through the motions, staying in the job for their retirement and the good benefits, which can be frustrating when you want to work with motivated people. Didn't like that I felt like I was a 'rule enforcer' to people collecting unemployment benefits, which you essentially are. You also can help people in their job search, but you also are schooling them on their benefits and whether or not they are in compliance.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with the frontline staff and seek input from them on directions, strategy and agency planning!

"Employment Specialist 3"

Current Employee - WorkSource Specialist III in Olympia, WA
    Current Employee - WorkSource Specialist III in Olympia, WA

Pros

Helping the public is very gratifying. The benefit package is nice especially to cover family/spouse with health and dental.

Cons

Unethical practices by supervisors and middle management. One state employee who was principal in the new website left to go work for Monster Government Solutions (the contractor)! They teach you to think outside of the box to serve customers but the reality is that everything is very hierarchical and authoritarian.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent in your interactions with customers and employees. Don't tell us how things are marvelous when they are not functional. If we dare say that the emperor is not wearing any clothes then they want to run you out of town!

6. "Auditor"

Current Employee - Auditor in Olympia, WA
    Current Employee - Auditor in Olympia, WA

I have been working at Washington Employment Security Department full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good co-worker. Work from home. You can get after working there for 10 years pension.

Cons

Bad management e, bad budget, a lot of layoffs. The layoffs are because they are State funded and federally funded. So when ever government can't get a budget done. They might have layoffs.

Advice to Management

Na

"WorkSource Specialist"

Current Employee - Employment Specialist in Olympia, WA
    Current Employee - Employment Specialist in Olympia, WA

Pros

Chance to make a difference

Cons

Leadership is very poor, uncommunicative, don't keep it real. Questionable business decisions either grossly incompetent or unethical.

Advice to Management

Read "The Emperor's New Clothes". Seriously...

8. "Career Services Specialist"

Current Employee - Career Services Specialist in East Bremerton, WA
    Current Employee - Career Services Specialist in East Bremerton, WA

Pros

Career Services, Human Development, Coach Approach and Job Search Strategies

Cons

Working with individuals that may be experiencing conviction history and background

Advice to Management

Need more staff.

"The most dysfunctional organization I've ever seen"

Current Employee - I Know About the Internals of ESD Executive Management
    Current Employee - I Know About the Internals of ESD Executive Management

Pros

IT professionals can be paid less that 50% of what you can make in private industry.

Cons

ESD executives hate state workers, but are grossly negligent and incompetent themselves. Do yourself a favor and stay away.

Advice to Management

If you, Dale Peinecke, want to know what is wrong with ESD, then try looking in a mirror. You are a bad person and you have destroyed the lives of so many people. Even worse, you have wasted literally tens and hundreds of millions of dollars. The current IT management team has done everything they can to fight you, but Dale Peinecke won in the end. This is very unfortunate, because I really like our Governor, Jay Inslee. I can't imagine that Governor Inslee will ever read this, Dale will kill your political future if you don't do something about this.

"You do NOT want to work here"

I worked at Washington Employment Security Department full-time

Pros

The staff people – what few are left in IT – are the best. We did some great work together.

Cons

Blatant nepotism or at the least cronyism – the CIO is the now EX Deputy Commissioner’s best friend, a Deputy Director is the EX Deputy Commissioner’s god-daughter, etc, etc.
    Complete incompetence of management – most came from non-IT backgrounds and have no idea what they’re doing.
    The Deputy Director of Application Development’s verbal abuse and pure toxicity is now known state-wide. This is not the agency you want to work for.
    Supervisory positions are hand-picked by the Deputy Directors effectively eliminating any possibility of fair promotions.

Staff is at an all-time low yet they’re not advertising for positions to fill the vacant ones, it’s easier to have everyone do three or four people’s work. The positions they are advertising are for entry-level programmers who they think will accept the toxic sweatshop atmosphere they’ve created, only to have them leave as soon as their probation period is over

The amount of money they are spending on everything besides payroll should raise alarms. They have made phenomenally poor decisions concerning software purchases, always ensuring they spend top dollar for the poorest written product. They move people around, purchase useless TV screens and white boards, and then do it all again.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to get rid of the current CIO and all her Deputy Directors and bring in some people who will re-build this agency. It can be a great place to work again.