Washington Federal Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 14, 2019

Found 294 reviews

3.7
Brent Beardall
Pros
  • "Great co-workers, work environment, training program(in 18 reviews)

• "They have great working hours, holidays off, M-T 8-5 Friday 8-6, no weekends(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "The benefits don't out way the low pay(in 41 reviews)

• "Upper management truly doesn't understand what they ask of technical teams(in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Branch Manager"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Washington Federal full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The work environment at Washington Federal is great. We work together as a team not only in each branch but together as a division. The company invests in the employees. It you want to succeed you only need to put forth the effort and the company will support you. The benefits are great. We have matching in the 401K along with Stock Options. I have thoroughly enjoyed working here. I can honestly say that "I love...

Cons

Don't offer auto loans. Government Regulations

Advice to Management

Thank you for focusing on the employee. I really appreciate that we are a linear company. We are all in this together and we are making it work.

Washington Federal2018-12-15

December 26, 2018President & Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for your post and being a dedicated WAFD Branch Manager. It is so gratifying to see that you feel like I do. We are all in this together, employees, clients, shareholders and our communities. It shows when you Love What You Do. Happy 2019

2. "Best Company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Washington Federal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employees are appreciated. CEO is dedicated to the employees, culture and community. Benefits are great and you can earn bonuses. No weekend work.

Cons

Hard to find quality employees due to lower pay.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

Washington Federal2019-04-28

April 30, 2019President & Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for the post. We agree we are making progress. #gladtobehere

3. "Good bank"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Washington Federal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of integrity working for this bank. The bank is clean, friendly, and goes above and beyond to make sure our clients our satisfied. My manager does a great job at explaining things and helping us understand new concepts so we feel comfortable and confident at all times. There is also free coffee and drinks and snacks in the break room :)

Cons

There is a lot of down-time. I would prefer to have more to do to stay busy. Also, the pay should be a lot higher. We are going through a lot of upgrades and changes so I'm hoping there will be a raise for the tellers in the near future.

Advice to Management

I would like the tellers to make more money. I found out a call center for Washington Federal is making three dollars an hour more than us in the next town over. This was very troubling to find out because we do much more than the call centers. In fact, the call centers usually transfer the clients to us.

Washington Federal2019-07-29
  4. "Stepping stone place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Washington Federal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work experience, good 401k match, great company culture and views for the future.

Cons

Pay is way below industry standards. Required to do all things within the branch from tellers to complex lending. Always lacking branch coverage for staff.

Advice to Management

Pay your people well and they will stay. Provide them help when they ask for it. Listen to them when they repeatedly tell you what they need.

Washington Federal2019-07-26
  5. "Heavy Politics"

Former Employee - Senior QA Automation Engineer in Boise, ID

I worked at Washington Federal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits / competitive pay

Cons

Politics ruin any kind of working relationships and make work life miserable

Washington Federal2019-08-14
  6. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Washington Federal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay, stand up desk, nice lunch room, busy pipeline.

Cons

Newish department lacking a little bit of structure in some areas but not bad. Once they get it down will be better!

Advice to Management

Sometimes too busy for employees.

Washington Federal2019-07-03

July 8, 2019President & Chief Executive Officer

Thanks for your comments and helping get the LPC stood up in Albuquerque. We have made a lot of progress and are looking forward to continuing to improve. Wish you the best going forward.

7. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Washington Federal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, work environment, training program.

Cons

Pay per responsibility is low. Unless you are higher than a PB it is near impossible to earn a living wage.

Washington Federal2019-06-30

July 8, 2019President & Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for your post. We are working on career paths to provide opportunities for advancement and higher compensation.

8. "Lots of good intentions but not so much follow through"

I have been working at Washington Federal

Pros

Washington Federal is a bank that is rapidly trying to update their image and branding through rapid adoption of technologies that are seen as good value. The leadership is committed to bridging the overwhelming gaps between where they are as a company and where they want to be.

Cons

Not all technological advances are well thought out, and at its core WAFD is still that brick and mortar bank that didn’t have email before 2012. Advancement is not awarded based on merit or achievement, rather it’s loosely based on who you know, not what you know.

Advice to Management

If you are serious about becoming the Amazon of finance institutions, it’s time to shed some of the baggage of underperforming and low paid employees, and increase your pay to draw in the cream of the technology crop.

Washington Federal2019-07-03

July 8, 2019President & Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for your post. We are serious about pay for performance and accountability. Words are easy, action is much harder. Let me know how we are doing going forward.

9. "Pay scale reviews"

Former Employee - Licensed Personal Banker

I worked at Washington Federal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sharing the ultimate truth pay scale

Cons

Below is what I got paid as a full-time employee from 2016-2018, In Dec 2016, as a customer service representative - $11/ hour, full-time employee, NO 401K In 2017, as a customer service representative - $12/hour, full-time employee, NO 401K In mid-2017- Customer service supervisor, $13.40/hour, full-time employee, NO 401K In 2018 - with NMLS License, Notary Public License, Personal Banker Position, $14.90/hour,...

Washington Federal2019-07-19
  10. "Good place to start, but not stay"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oregon City, OR

I worked at Washington Federal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Holidays off, weekends off, pretty much 8 to 5 job

Cons

PAY is very much lower then the industry standards. people flipping burgers make more!

Advice to Management

Increase pay, provide decent training. Brent went on MSNBC and stated that all employees got a 3% wage increase, The truth is it had to be split amongst all employees in the branch. Bonus are a joke, If you live in a small community forget it, $60.00 was the bonus. High turn over. Ready to leave I need to earn a living. I can not live on 12.00hr.

Washington Federal2019-06-26

July 8, 2019President & Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for your comment. We wish you the best. All employees earning under $100k, did get a 5% increase in addition to their normal merit increases in 2018.

Found 294 reviews