Washington Humane Society Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Washington Humane Society Reviews

Updated Sep 1, 2017

Washington Humane Society President and CEO Lisa LaFontaine
Lisa LaFontaine
0 Rating
  1. "They do their very best to take care of the animals."

Current Employee - Vet Tech in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Washington Humane Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

multiple days off back to back

Cons

Long days that start early and end late.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work overall.

Washington Humane Society2017-09-02

"Humane to Animals, not employees"

I worked at Washington Humane Society full-time

Pros

You get to work for one of the leading Humane organizations in the country, lots of PR. events, and you get to work with some amazing people.

Cons

The upper management is more focused on the "future" than growing their employees, and paying them a living wage.

Washington Humane Society2017-05-04
  3. "The job is hard, but rewarding. Staff aren't as appreciated as they should be."

I worked at Washington Humane Society

Pros

The work is very rewarding and you get a lot of great experience working in a fast-paced environment. The animals are great, and when the team works well together, the work environment is really a great place.

Cons

The facility is not equipped to safely perform surgery on the number of animals we received on a daily basis. The equipment was outdated - some of it didn't even work. When this was brought to management, nothing really happened to change it. We were also really understaffed, which led to safety concerns for the animals - there weren't enough techs to monitor the animals we had.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your staff! Pay them more - and make sure that you're paying everyone an equal amount if they have equal experience. Make sure the surgery suite is prepped with equipment that works!

Washington Humane Society2016-11-29
  4. "Veterinary Technician"

Former Employee - Veterinary Technician

I worked at Washington Humane Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very rewarding experience working to help and save many animals in need with limited resources. You start off with great motivation, determination and compassion in your position. I really enjoyed the work that I did here at WHS.

Cons

Because there are so many animals in need with limited resources and options, you develop compassion fatigue and can be overwhelmed with the burden of a heavy work load.

Advice to Management

Continuous support between management and staff.

Washington Humane Society2016-11-06

"If you love animals, don't work here"

Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Washington, DC

I worked at Washington Humane Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with cats and dogs, and create bonds with them

Cons

The C team is the worst. They don't actually like animals, and will just do whatever will make them look good, even if it means hiding the deaths of 250 kittens

Advice to Management

Work directly in the shelter.

Washington Humane Society2016-12-05

"Don't reccomend"

I worked at Washington Humane Society full-time

Pros

Lots of kittens, adoptions staff is killer.

Cons

understaffed, quick turnover, compassion fatigue, over worked

Washington Humane Society2016-09-20
  7. "Adoptions"

Current Employee - Adoption Coordinator

I have been working at Washington Humane Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great mission, we help all animals in DC, you feel like you are helping both animals and the community. If you are positive and can-do, there are good opportunities because there are so many different services and departments.

Cons

There are a lot of upbeat days but there are a lot of sad animal stories. Shelter work can be messy and some of our facilities are beat up.

Washington Humane Society2016-07-23
  8. "All about the mission"

I worked at Washington Humane Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team feeling, mission, helping animals, seeing dogs improve. Training and care. Customers can be tough but most appreciate what we did for them. This was the most satifsfying job I ever had.

Cons

We needed a better building and more supplies. It would be good to have newer equipment and more training for staff.

Advice to Management

Find more good people and be sure they have everything they need to succeed.

Washington Humane Society2016-07-24
  9. "good employees, upper management hit or miss"

I worked at Washington Humane Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good coworkers who care about their jobs and the animals

Cons

lack of room for growth, dirty work environment (if you work in the shelter offices)

Washington Humane Society2016-07-03
  10. "Good people and good work."

I have been working at Washington Humane Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is the hardest, most challenging most rewarding job I've had. Staff are the best and the animals show their love. I've already been promoted. There are great opportunities to grow when you work hard, help eachother and ask for opportunities.

Cons

It's hard to leave the work behind. It is definitely not a 9 to 5 job so you have to be committed to the Mission. But its the best work experience I've had.

Washington Humane Society2016-03-04