Washington Mutual Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Washington Mutual Chairman & CEO JP Morgan Chase James Dimon
James Dimon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It had great benefits and recognition program that made the employees feel valued (in 17 reviews)

• Stimulating environment, good pay, and great benefits (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • poor business practices that led to company being seized by the FDIC (in 9 reviews)

1. "It was the best experience I had with any company I've worked for! I was treated with kindness and understanding!"

Current Employee - Retirement Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Retirement Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The customer service is great externally just as well as it was internally. I have helped people with their customer service techniques as well as paperwork filing which grew our efficiency as a group.

Cons

Challenges with my position included having to understand transfer paperwork from other financial institutions. There were some banks whom had their associates fill in the incorrect information to have the customer's retirement account transferred, but instead of sending it back through the mail, per protocol, I took the extra step and tried calling the bank and discussing this with their associate whom set up the paperwork. In the midst of things, this reduced my productivity, but instead of approaching the same situation multiple times with the same associate and same customer, it was necessary when I had some extra time.

Advice to Management

Training was hands on. Our group worked very well together becoming very productive and sometimes ahead of schedule. We went through a transition with moving all accounts from WaMu to Chase and while it was difficult, we experienced a great, positive attitude from each other to get us through the tough times. Unfortunately, the last 12 months we were there transitioning, we were under contract and when there was no work left, we were jobless. Chase did offer other jobs we were qualified for and most took the jobs offered, but I went back to college instead.

2. "Decent company to work for"

I have been working at Washington Mutual full-time

Pros

They were always changing things up, good or bad, depending on how much you like change. Tried to be costumer-centric. Held quarterly meetings to give employees the state of the company and keep them informed. Decent salaries and benefits, held annual employee appreciation events

Cons

When we got by JPMC, although at least we got decent layoff packages and job services.

3. "Was great to be a WaMulian."

I have been working at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location in downtown Seattle.
    Awesome co-workers.
    Compensation based on merit.
    Good career growth and potential for advancement (assuming the company persisted).

Cons

Subprime meltdown and Chase takeover.
    Finding out from the news that our company was no more.

4. "Excellent company to work for. My position as a Senior Loan Consultant afforded me unlimited income potential."

Current Employee - Senior Loan Consultant in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Loan Consultant in Naples, FL

I have been working at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They provided a monthly draw against my unlimited income as a commissioned employee (about $3,000/month). Annual trips for achieving Presidents Club - all expenses paid including exceptionally gorgeous hotels (upscall Hyatt / Marriott) usually at tropical destinations like Hawaii. Awards and recognitions at the annual banquet.

Cons

Be at quota and everyone will be happy. Even if you are not at quota they will support you any way they can in order to achieve that goal. 401k contribution was 10% up to the 10,000 mark annually. Guaranteed rate of return on same. Golden parachute after 5 years which was 10% of your annual income they they simply "gave" to you in an account that they held and managed until you left.

Advice to Management

Stop emailing so many memos!! Just have a weekly sales meeting / call from immediate supervisor to inform loan originators of policy changes. If it is so important that everyone must be informed that same day - then blast an email as "priority". Commissioned reps have more on their mind then to constantly check their email from corporate (expecially when they get several per day).

5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Funder in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Funder in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent colleagues. We had a great time working together. The company was mostly respectful of employees during a very difficult time. Everyone always pulled together to make things work. Great culture of support, fun, and of course hard work.

Cons

Sad to see it end the way it did. I would have loved to have stayed on had it been possible. Working at Chase is just not the same. Much more corporate and less friendly. For that, I had to go.

6. "Bad company to work for"

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

A Very poor managed company

7. "fun"

Pros

diverse environment with plenty of opportunities to move around. Great facilities and comparatively nice work environment

Cons

the company no longer exists. CEO's toupee not as awesome as The Don's. Although close second

8. "crazy fun times at work"

Pros

got to wear a suit

Cons

got to wear a suit all the time

"Company Review"

Current Employee - Associate General Counsel in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate General Counsel in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, great job.

Cons

Extremely poor executive management who destroyed the Bank.

10. "Great bank and opportunity, depending on your position"

Current Employee - Recruiting Assistant in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Assistant in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Focus on work-life balance
    Young company, with most employees in the 18-45 age range
    Good benefits
    Frequent 1:1 meetings with management
    Lots of communication

Cons

Performance reviews and expectations not in line with those advertized.
    Performance reviews were changed so that the vast majority of employees received a "3" out of 5, which meant doing your job well, but not enough for even a cost of living raise.
    Salaries for employees varied widely and sometimes had jumps of up to 50% of base salaries.
    Salaries are not in line with corporate standards for areas with higher cost of living.
    Frequent micromanagement
    No margin for any error, which was, of course impossible, even 97% was not good enough.