Washington Mutual Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Washington Mutual Chairman & CEO JP Morgan Chase James Dimon
James Dimon

Pros
  • It had great benefits and recognition program that made the employees feel valued (in 17 reviews)

• The work environment was pleasant (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad industry coupled with bad decisions at the senior level have impacted stock and goodwill among customers and employees (in 6 reviews)

• Competitive, subprime lending downfall for the company (in 10 reviews)

1. "Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Chatsworth, CA

Pros

Big company with established organization with procedures and lot of learning opportunities. Good location close to home. In site cafeteria.

Cons

They were always scaring people about loosing their jobs and having layoffs. They promoted child care site when I was offer a job and they had it closed a month right after I left my previous job and was hired.

Advice to Management

I know is hard to manage a slow heavy organization but make use of the talent of your people. There are plenty of us willing o steer the company on the right direction.

2. "Business Analyst"

Former Contractor - Business Analyst/Technical Writer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Contractor - Business Analyst/Technical Writer in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Washington Mutual as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

There was a lot of work to be done, my supervisor was open to suggestions and feed back. I was paid well as a contractor. The work environment was pleasant.

Cons

Washington Mutual was imploding; management kept shifting directions; priorities were ill-defined. What was to be a long term contract with hiring potential turned out to be not the case.

Advice to Management

By now advice to management is a moot point since Washington Mutual no longer exists in the form that I knew it to be previously.

3. "Okay"

Former Employee - Card Disputes Representative I in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Card Disputes Representative I in Hayward, CA

I worked at Washington Mutual (Less than a year)

Pros

Three different work shifts; Managers were empathetic; if had any disabilities, they are accommodating.

Cons

Was hired to do another job, however I was moved to another department because they was not aware of how many people they actually hired. If you get injured, upper management was not empathetic and accommodating, which put the managers under them in a tough spot.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, have someone available in a management or lead spot just in case employees get emergency phone calls that require authorization for debit card/account issues.

5. "Overwhelming Work Expectations"

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Desert Hot Springs, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Desert Hot Springs, CA

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of bank holidays which means time off

Cons

Product and Service lines are too narrow in scope.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff.

6. "Branch Loan Officer"

Former Employee - Loan Officer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in New York, NY

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company provided access to current mortgage holders

Cons

The Company didn't offer products for the areas in which the branches were located

Advice to Management

Have better products

7. "RETAIL banking. -- "Sell Sell Sell!""

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Plano, TX

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to, there was room to move up from the bottom.

Cons

But the ceiling wasn't very far from the ground when it came to advancement.
    The biggest disappointment, was seeing the change from being a banker and assisting people in their financial needs. Giving them clarity on what opportunities they had to make the best of their money. Counseling customers on how to manage funds. -- To trying to convince every single customer to open more and more accounts. Far more than they needed. Over and Over.

Advice to Management

No banker needs to be pushy. Lay-off. It's a burden on the customer to be treated like an asset.

"Good people hurt by bad decisions"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was in a great group that drove enterprise finance support for the company. We had a lot of synergy and were recognized as subject matter experts in our roles. My manager was demanding but also collaborative and supportive.

Cons

Shame that so many good people who worked hard were impacted by such a short-sighted risk management strategy.

9. "Washington Mutual"

Former Employee - Teller in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Teller in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I managed to get along with my bosses and my coworkers. I did like the benefits and all the employee discounts available.

Cons

I hated the fact that as a teller you had to stand up. Our stations were setup like a cell phone store but worse because there was an area for the customers to look around on the screen as you processed their transactions. This was invasive and uncomfortable for the employee. Now that I think about it, this was dangerous given that anyone could come in and easily physically assault us since it was a bank after all. I felt like WAMU did not care about our safety. My legs would hurt after a long day of standing up.

Advice to Management

Get your employees some chairs!! And put them behind a bullet proof window please!!!

10. "It's about leadership"

Former Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The vision was exciting at first and I was proud to be a part of WaMu. I was able to do some of my best work, with some very creative and bright people.

Cons

Leadership--and by that I mean the C suite--got caught up in ego gratification and hubris. For the three to four years before the company went under it was all about the numbers.

Advice to Management

Learn from your mistakes and surround yourself with people who tell you the truth ... and then resist the urge to run them off if you don't like what you're hearing.

11. "Treated unfairly by management and had negative experience in work environent."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

WaMu had a very diverse group of people to work with and everyone knew what they were doing and very knowledgeable.

Cons

Did not feel like I was needed and was constantly felt underrated and disrespected by management and felt they had little faith in my work.

Advice to Management

Management could make the team feel a little more included and treat those working under them with more respect and value.