Washington Mutual Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Washington Mutual Chairman & CEO JP Morgan Chase James Dimon
James Dimon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It had great benefits and recognition program that made the employees feel valued (in 17 reviews)

• Stimulating environment, good pay, and great benefits (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • poor business practices that led to company being seized by the FDIC (in 9 reviews)

1. "You wanted an everyday persons answers, well you got it!"

Current Employee - Senior Personal Financial Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Personal Financial Representative in New York, NY

Pros

Honest and Ingerity are two of the hardest things to find at a bank and they support those ideals. They only what was best for there employees. You get great encouragement and help from management. But they also know when to let you fly solo... Mistakes may happen but fixing them is always the first priority. Not to mention, they have the best products around with highly competitive rates. Whats not to like about working at Washington Mutual

Cons

You can always make the customer happy. As much as I would love to give each client the loan they want at the best rate possible.. It doesn't always work out that way. But on the up and up, we strive to get them to were they need to be. Even if it's not always with us.

Advice to Management

You guys and girls are doing a wonderful job. I'm really learning a lot and I hope your learning a lot from me too.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Seattle, WA

Pros

It's a friendly atmosphere and I am respected for the job that I do and the help that I can give others. Any input I give is appreciated. WaMu is a very fair company to work for and they respect the work/life balance. None of my team are clock watchers and there is never a problem with time off whether it be vacation, sick or medical appointments. I don't feel as though I'm just a number, I feel that my opinion and feelings count. That's more than can be said for some employers out there. Trust me, I've worked for some bad employers.

Cons

The technology systems suck. The technical support people are in India and half the time they don't understand what you're saying or vice versa. It can take over an hour to have a simple problem solved over the phone. You can sit on the phone for 45 minutes before they tell you that they're "opening a ticket" for you. You never get to speak to someone face to face. The same goes for the HR department. You call the employee helpline and thankfully they're not in India but they might as well be with as much use they are. Stop outsourcing and give us some real people to deal with.

Advice to Management

In general I've found the senior management to be of a high standard. However, I think it's time for Kerry Killinger to step down. WaMu have laid off thousands of people over the last few months but only one from the executive team has gone. Don't you think there's something wrong with that picture? I'm not sure if Kerry is the one who should go because I believe he's done what he thought best for the company over the last 17 years, but there's as much dead wood at the top as there has been below the decks.

3. "Wamu the Good Times"

Former Employee - Financial Center Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Center Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Employees are important, have channels of communication and with Corporate and local support, Marketing was it's strength showing we were Human kinda quirky and not the normal "stuffed shirt" banker. WaMu truly cared about employees and customers. Ideas like Free checking with an overdraft m.atrix were brilliant. Customers received what they wanted a checking with no monthly fee, but paid dearly if they were negative, but that was their option. Other banks were charging at least $10 per month, that was $120 savings per year for the average customer. Managers were informed of corporate goals, strategies and accomplishments at the annual State of the Group annually, really kept us in tune and helped us bond as a group.

Cons

In my position were the long hours.

Advice to Management

Continue to lead with employee satisfaction & health a primary objective

4. "Competitive to a fault, Great work/life"

Former Employee - Backoffice Function In Home Loans (East Coast)
    Former Employee - Backoffice Function In Home Loans (East Coast)

Pros

Good pay, hours, opportunity, and people; When you hire a former Wamu employee, you know you will be getting someone who has a bias for action and efficiency. The problems with the company was in risk assessment, not how business was conducted. Operationally, Wamu was top tier.

Cons

Too quick to decision perhaps lead to wrong decisions. The company went BK so obviously it is not a place that hold opportunity any more. That said, the biggest Con as an employee was the focus by management on "look and feel" of employees.

Advice to Management

Focus on the risk and not on what it will add to the bottom line. Focus on how the company could have kept going.

5. "An outstanding group to work with"

Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Emphasis on career growth, work-life balance, and achievement of goals through teamwork and cross-functional collaboration.
    The company's core values were actually followed.

Cons

Even when the company was going through its darkest moments, managers and staff kept their composure and maintained a professional environment.

Advice to Management

The managers I worked with were the best in the banking industry. Any company lucky enough to land a former WaMu employee owes a debt of thanks to that employee's former manager.

6. "So long wamu"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great communication from upper level management.
    Care for the employee

Cons

bad strategic decision made by upper management

Advice to Management

Only if they can do it over again to survive the financial melt down.
    Better transition management during the conversion to chase.

7. "former wamu employee"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Valencia, CA

Pros

great work-life balance and respect for employee morale. Also the benefits package and salary was pretty generous and above average.

Cons

not as equipped to handle major commercial banking like JP Morgan, B of A, Wells Fargo, and others. it tried to compete and ended up being a "wannabe".

Advice to Management

don't overextend yourself on the mortgage loans and offer sub prime or zero down interest only loans because it came back to bite hard.

8. "Good while it lasted"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Amazing culture that promoted strong collaboration across work groups. Egos were check at the door. Had the opportunity to work along side some of the brightest and dedicated individuals in my career

Cons

Short sightedness of senior management and all along telling everyone that everything was fine

Advice to Management

After all that has happened, I am speechless.

9. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Teller in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Teller in Houston, TX

Pros

Great benefits package for part-time and full-time employees. Compensation is more than fair compared to similar companies. Expectations are very clear and regular feedback is given on performance. A job well-done is always acknowledged.

Cons

Client traffic is not always well-directed, which leads to frustrated clients and employees. Suggestions on how to improve processes are not always heard.

Advice to Management

Listen to you employees. Listen to your clients. Adapt to the needs of the people. Enable employees to improve their performance.

10. "Working with other systems in the bank."

Former Employee - Technical Specialist II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist II in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great support to get the job done. Direct managers were awesome always felt like they were looking out for me and my team. Helped me grow personally.

Cons

Slow moving train, the bank was notorious for dragging it's feet on the latest technologies. Probably a just all the regulatory rules we had to go through to migrate.

Advice to Management

Well since there is no managment left and JP Morgan chase has taken over I guess there isn't much left to give advice about.