Washington State University "full time" Reviews | Glassdoor

Washington State University Employee Reviews about "full time"

Updated Jul 31, 2018

4.0
Washington State University President  Kirk Schulz (no image)
Kirk Schulz
Pros
Cons
  • "Some people dont like living in Pullman, but its such a nice small town(in 30 reviews)

• "Limited full-time teaching opportunities for non-doctoral job candidates(in 16 reviews)

Reviews about "full time"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Office of Commercialization"

Current Intern - Technology Research in Pullman, WA

I have been working at Washington State University for more than a year

Pros

Learn about patent and licensing

Cons

No full time positions available easily.

Washington State University2018-08-01
  2. "Adjunct Professor"

Current Contractor - Adjunct Professor in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Washington State University for more than a year

Pros

Faculty, commitment to teaching, support, small class sizes, regular peer feedback and classroom observations; commitment to "real world" experiential learning.

Cons

Limited full-time teaching opportunities for non-doctoral job candidates. Embrace instructors who have the real world experience and are highly effective instructors.

Washington State University2018-02-15
  3. "Research Intern"

Current Employee - Research Intern in Pullman, WA

I have been working at Washington State University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great area to live with good benefits.

Cons

Lab managers can be unprofessional in the way they use temporary employees at their disposal in a negative manner. If employed for a temporary full-time position don't expect to feel important to the cause of your research.

Washington State University2017-09-27
  4. "Part of GEAR UP program"

Former Employee - GEAR UP Tutor in Tri Cities, WA

I worked at Washington State University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Willing to work around other job or college schedules -Willing to teach and train entry level employees -Well connected if you need to relocate -Financial promotions happened yearly for good employees

Cons

Unless you want to apply for a full time position, there is not a lot of new work promotions.

Washington State University2017-04-13
  5. "Great learning environment to work in for current students and just-graduated students"

Former Employee - Small-group Facilitator/Writing Consultant in Pullman, WA

I worked at Washington State University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great programs in place in my department, i.e. the writing program, writing center, small-class teaching/facilitation. Top notch management in place within the writing center and the small-group writing facilitation program. Excellent resources available to use with classes and students. Management accessible and open to discussing any problems or successes you may be having. Willing to expand your hours somewhat if you prove yourself to be competent and reliable -- and have the time to spare, which I did as a graduate student and then recent graduate for one year. Provided brief evening trainings once per semester, at the beginning, to refresh our knowledge base and orient new employees. Great place to live and work. Even if you're not from a small town, you'll come to love the secluded atmosphere and quieter life. Nature is easily accessible here, and Seattle or Portland are just a half day's drive away.

Cons

Not enough hours. But it's a state university trying to keep everyone below the part-time barrier, so as to avoid large cost increases. Also, there are always a lot of students who want to work there and are qualified. Since it is a university, after all, one of its prime objectives is training the employees in job skills they'll use in the real world. Also, a lot of students are very busy, so divvying up the hours among 40 workers is easier for just about everyone. Compensation is too low -- but about average based on other writing centers I've worked at. This isn't a place to make a career because there are hardly any positions to move into (just one or two, one of which requires at least a masters). It's a springboard to something better, perhaps full-time in a different department in the university, and it's a great experience if you someday want to apply around the country to run a writing center of your own. I rated it an overall three because it's great if you're a student looking for experience in a supportive environment, but if you want to earn a full-time living you'll have to eventually move on. However, that doesn't mean you couldn't find something within the university system itself or a different university somewhere else.

Washington State University2017-02-09
  6. "Lab technician"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Pullman, WA

I worked at Washington State University part-time for less than a year

Pros

It worked great with my full time schedule as a student.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but I was paid minimum wage to do minimum wage work, but I would have never expected more.

Washington State University2017-01-24
  7. "Overall great experience"

I worked at Washington State University

Pros

Great work environment, laid back atmosphere most the time, offers flexible hours, and offers jobs for those with no experience.

Cons

If you are not employed as full time, they will not let you pass 20 hours per week through any combination of jobs with them. Depending on what your job is, hours get cut as the semester progresses.

Washington State University2016-11-06
  8. "Professor"

I worked at Washington State University full-time

Pros

Good collegiality and work environment.

Cons

Salary very poor, with final full time salary about $72k after 39 years of service during which I published over 100 articles, several books, delivered over 50 invited addresses, and received major teaching awards. The Glassdoor algorithm suggests I was underpaid $45k per year.

Washington State University2016-10-26
  9. "Flexible, but not many stayed"

I worked at Washington State University

Pros

As a student they were flexible with the hours that I was able to work and offered and acceptable wage. The environment that I worked in was friendly.

Cons

There was not always clear communication and there was a very high turnover rate among the full time staff. By the time that I left I had been there longer than 80% of the office workforce.

Washington State University2016-07-19
  10. "Student Employment"

Former Employee - Barista in Pullman, WA

I worked at Washington State University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working for a variety of establishments on campus was extremely convenient. I was able to work around my class schedule and had off on holiday breaks etc. I worked o the Pullman campus, I loved the sense of community the campus has to offer.

Cons

I think students could be provided with more benefits when working on campus. It can be difficult to manage a full-time student and part-time job. I think more support could be offered to students.

Washington State University2016-01-30

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 23 reviews