Washoe County Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Washoe County Schools Reviews

Updated 4 Aug 2019

Found 48 reviews

3.4
Washoe County Schools CEO Pedro Martinez (no image)
Pedro Martinez

"Special Education Teacher"

I worked at Washoe County Schools full-time

Pros

Worked with some great teachers

Cons

micromanagement by administration, administration found fault with everything, no positives, tough evaluations. Overloaded case loads. No support from building administration or the district. PAR board is a joke. This district does not care about students or teachers. There is no leadership at any level.

Advice to Management

Start listening to teachers, get rid of ineffective administration, PAR board. Get rid of MyPGS.

Washoe County Schools2015-06-29
  2. "Avoid"

I worked at Washoe County Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are okay, especially PERS, but be aware of Social Security offsets if you have paid into the system. Staff is pretty good overall as are students.

Cons

No protections for teachers so you can be easily fired. District flouts the law. Too much nepotism in hiring.

Advice to Management

Needs to be much easier to fire principals who are not doing their jobs instead of protecting them.

Washoe County Schools2015-06-27

"Teacher"

in Sparks, NV

I have been working at Washoe County Schools

Pros

Good Benefits, opportunity to move to different locations. Opportunity to increase pay with more education. Large school district with a lot of opportunity.

Cons

The school district is administrative heavy. The administrators often don't even get into the classroom. Schools serve only the parents, often at the expense of other students and teachers.

Advice to Management

The school district is management (administrative) heavy. Students and student needs of the classroom seem to take last place. Administrators need to consider the needs of teachers who are truly the ones making the biggest impact on our students.

Washoe County Schools2015-05-15

"Out of 3 different school districts in 2 different states, this was my WORST EXPERIENCE EVER"

Former Employee - Special Ed Teacher

I worked at Washoe County Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1) You can get a job easily 2) The pupils really need help 3)

Cons

1) The salaries are NOT comparable to surrounding areas and school districts. Admins make as much money as administrators in New York or Los Angeles and teachers make less than any of the surrounding districts. The district takes away teacher and support staff, increases class sizes to create new admin positions. It doesn't make sense! 2) If you aren't friends with the staff (teachers or admins. etc.), good luck.... They will make you and your life miserable. This had a lot to do with my moving on. I had a 2nd job and was "blacklisted" because I had to work rather than attend "staff social events" at local bars and restaurants after school hours. 3) If there are any friends or relatives of the admin or those close to then that wants a job, they will get it. The interviews are merely procedure. None of the other applicants are even considered. 4) There are NO rights for the teachers - even as members of the union. If anyone wants you gone, it's REALLY easy to do.

Advice to Management

Start talking to the parents more and the principals less. Do away with myPGS. Stop adding different classrooms requirements and let us actually TEACH THE KIDS!

Washoe County Schools2015-03-27

"Lasted 3 years in this district..."

I worked at Washoe County Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- easy time getting a job even though it may not be the school you want - 15 days of sick leave (mine were almost used up for mental health days not due to students, but due to staff...) - dental benefits

Cons

- like many here mentioned, the salaries here are way too top heavy. admins. make as much money as admins. in new york, la, chicago, etc. while teachers and counselors make hardly anything (really the pay ratio here does not make sense) - nepotism is very high here - new evaluation system makes me extremely easy for admins to get rid of staff - if the staff (teachers or admins. etc.) doesn't personally like you,... good luck lasting at your school- this was largely the reason why i ended up leaving (overweight older staff is threatened by younger, thinner staff as silly as that sounds); - probationary and admin. has a relative they want for your job? pack up because you won't have your job the next year - staff looks down on you if you actually take your 30 minute pupil free lunch instead of constantly allowing students in your room anyway i ended up getting a position near me in truckee so i was happy to leave this horrible district

Advice to Management

get rid of mypgs, ratify the salary scales even though it won't happen

Washoe County Schools2015-02-19

"Questionable Leadership and Grossly Insufficient Resources"

Educator in Reno, NV

I have been working at Washoe County Schools

Pros

If you love working with young adults (children) and problem-solving every day, then this is a great profession to be in, which is germane to the profession, not the organization. As a profession, the organization responds to educator burn-out by allowing additional time off, such as 15 sick days per year, extended holiday periods, and summers off.

Cons

Salaries are historically low with this school district, yet the organization is top-heavy with multiple layers of high salary positions not connected to teaching students. Organizational policy is established to make the district look good on paper rather than to foster productive, proactive objectives. There is a distinct disconnect between upper management and the operational component of the district,... resulting in questionable guidelines and failed objectives. Morale is low and employee turnover is on the rise.

Washoe County Schools2015-01-28
  7. "Great Workplace"

I have been working at Washoe County Schools

Pros

One of the best places to work in!!!

Cons

Must be willing to take tasks at any time

Washoe County Schools2014-09-04

"While they are trying, they have a long way to go to get to where they should be."

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Reno, NV

I worked at Washoe County Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

Helping students grow and learn is always good. There are a few leaders in the district who have caught the vision.

Cons

The low pay will never attract well qualified, motivated educators. It's unfortunate.

Washoe County Schools2014-02-18
  9. "One of the best school districts in country"

Former Employee - Upper Management in Reno, NV

I worked at Washoe County Schools part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

WCSD has made enormous strides in terms of education, programs, and hiring good teachers, and is the best school district in the state by far. Their graduation rates are the highest of any urban district. They had the superintendent of the year for the country in Heath Morrison, and current superintendent Pedro Martinez is hard-working and efficient. WCSD has good schools and struggling schools, good principals and... poor principals, good teachers and poor teachers, just like in every large district. It's the largest employer in northern Nevada, so lots of room for movement as an employee.

Cons

Nevada as a state does not value education. The voters continuously vote against funding for schools. This hurts WCSD more than anything, since it has to do more with less resources. The district is struggling to shake off a perception that it doesn't manage funding well. This is bogus, since it's pretty lean.

Advice to Management

Fire poor teachers and principals quickly, don't just move them to different schools.

Washoe County Schools2013-11-25

"dont make a career out of it."

Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Sparks, NV

I worked at Washoe County Schools part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

no weekend or nights. got days off whe needed .liked alot of folks I worked with ,and still keep in touch

Cons

no advancement EVER!!!. did away with our step raises for 3 years .service center would never think of considering anyone from any of their schools for advancment to the center .

Advice to Management

you have alot of ladies out there in your schools that are very talented ,and I dont mean at serving lunch alot of us have office and extensive computer skills..maybe think about recruiting from within once in a while .

Washoe County Schools2013-09-18