Washoe County Schools Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

Washoe County Schools Teacher Reviews

Updated Aug 4, 2019

Found 14 reviews

3.9
Washoe County Schools CEO Pedro Martinez (no image)
Pedro Martinez
  1. "BAs in English and Music & Theatre; Masters in TESOL"

Current Employee - Teacher in Reno, NV

I have been working at Washoe County Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love working with young people motivating them for future happiness and success.

Cons

Teaching can be stressful with many hours of overtime required.

Advice to Management

WCSD should take advantage of well educated instructors who want to continue working after retiring from full time teaching with the district.

Washoe County Schools2019-06-17
  2. "Great work place"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Reno, NV

I have been working at Washoe County Schools part-time for more than a year

Pros

Kind and helpful teachers rewarding Fast days

Cons

Kids can treat you pretty bad, especially middle school

Washoe County Schools2019-08-05
  3. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Reno, NV

I have been working at Washoe County Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Washoe County is a strong district. I’ve loved working there for 21 years.

Cons

There are no cons. If I ever relocate to Bishop, it is for my family.

Washoe County Schools2019-03-26
  4. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Sparks, NV

I have been working at Washoe County Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Students and Faculty, School Sites themselves work well as a unit to overcome challenges

Cons

District Administration, Lack of Communication, Lack of Teamwork for the common goal - the students. Admin and those in charge of departments worry about themselves and ways to elevate their paycheck before retirement. Don't care what their actions may effect once they leave.

Advice to Management

Start communicating, holding everyone to standards and accountability including the superintendent, department leads and the rest of the district administration/staff. Research and take advice from experts before implementation that wastes funds.

Washoe County Schools2018-08-28
  5. "Substitute Teacher"

Substitute Teacher in Reno, NV

I have been working at Washoe County Schools for more than a year

Pros

You create your own schedule. You can cancel an assignment the day before. You get to pick what grade and class to teach from a list that's updated frequently. Some schools offer more support than others for helping substitutes get situated with their class.

Cons

There isn't a consistent way of helping substitutes. There is a shortage of substitutes and that puts more pressure on subs as well as the teachers the substitutes rely on for help next door. Sometimes not enough subs sign up for a school and that means the teachers have to take on another class or go sub for another teacher during the time they are trying to prepare classwork for students. It affects everyone.... There could be more communication about students and their records, whether or not they are violent and what triggers them.

Advice to Management

We need more support from the secretary department at every school. They should not assume the current teacher will provide important details about a student. I had a violent student in a classroom. He started a fist fight in the middle of class. No one warned me he had violent incidents in the past year. When the fight happened I was 6 months pregnant. I followed protocol but still was physically affected by this... incident. If I knew this child would be violent I would not have signed up for the particular assignment.

Washoe County Schools2017-12-03
  6. "Kids are great, Administration is wanting..."

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Washoe County Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most of the students are great, keeping in mind every place has its issues. I would say most building administrations seem to have a clue, but not all.

Cons

Upper bureaucracy is ineffective and consistently makes poor choices, from execution of plans to hiring effective teachers and administration. There is frequent inconsistency from site to site and zone to zone, as a result of a massive school district that should really be broken in to more autonomous regions. Good luck working with the transportation department, which is an embodiment of all the issues the district... has (including accountability of funds!).

Advice to Management

Fire ineffective administrations, educators, and staff members--they are holding you back. Figure our transportation, which is an ABSOLUTE mess.

Washoe County Schools2017-12-05

"Buyer beware!"

Special Education Teacher in Reno, NV

I worked at Washoe County Schools for more than a year

Pros

Good Teachers who work hard and are dedicated.

Cons

Bad administration from the top down. They will throw the teachers under the bus at the drop of a dime without any warning! NO accountability on the administration's part. Completely ineffective!

Advice to Management

Respect your teachers! Get rid of ineffective administrators!

Washoe County Schools2016-11-21
  8. "I haven't even started yet and this place sucks!"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher

I have been working at Washoe County Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

They pay you money, which you can use to pay bills and go on vacation over the long summer break. While you're on that break you can spend your time NOT thinking about work.

Cons

I haven't even started working, but I'm in the middle of their hiring process and if you want to see state run bureaucracy at it's finest then this is the place to work.

Washoe County Schools2016-02-19
  9. "Its ok"

Teacher in Sparks, NV

I worked at Washoe County Schools

Pros

Good for surviving while you find something else

Cons

Stressed/rude teachers (1 out of every 2), elementary children act like high schoolers from my time, lack of common sense in teaching (government at fault for this)

Advice to Management

Use money given to programs where it is destined not where you want.

Washoe County Schools2015-08-21

"Out of 3 different school districts in 2 different states, this was my WORST EXPERIENCE EVER"

Former Employee - Special Ed Teacher

I worked at Washoe County Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1) You can get a job easily 2) The pupils really need help 3)

Cons

1) The salaries are NOT comparable to surrounding areas and school districts. Admins make as much money as administrators in New York or Los Angeles and teachers make less than any of the surrounding districts. The district takes away teacher and support staff, increases class sizes to create new admin positions. It doesn't make sense! 2) If you aren't friends with the staff (teachers or admins. etc.), good luck.... They will make you and your life miserable. This had a lot to do with my moving on. I had a 2nd job and was "blacklisted" because I had to work rather than attend "staff social events" at local bars and restaurants after school hours. 3) If there are any friends or relatives of the admin or those close to then that wants a job, they will get it. The interviews are merely procedure. None of the other applicants are even considered. 4) There are NO rights for the teachers - even as members of the union. If anyone wants you gone, it's REALLY easy to do.

Advice to Management

Start talking to the parents more and the principals less. Do away with myPGS. Stop adding different classrooms requirements and let us actually TEACH THE KIDS!

Washoe County Schools2015-03-27