Wasserman Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Casey Wasserman

Pros
Cons
  • Internship was full time yet unpaid (in 4 reviews)

• Also, senior leadership never provides clear direction because they have no clue as to what they are doing (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Fun work environment
    People are very welcoming
    Learned a lot

Cons

Don't have a lot of entry level positions to hire interns

2. "Great place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Wasserman Media Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work, great people, growing company

Cons

HR can be a bit disorganized

"Terrible leadership"

Former Employee - Brands in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Brands in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Wasserman Media Group full-time

Pros

I had the opportunity to meet and work with some really cool clients and people over the years.

Cons

As another review stated below, working here started out as one of my most exciting and promising professional opportunities, but unfortunately, has quickly turned into my biggest professional disappointment. The digital and consulting departments have become a complete cluster over the last year or so, with no real direction and absolutely zero communication from "management". Senior leadership expects you to be proactive and have all the answers to everything, yet doesn't provide you with the guidance, knowledge and/or resources necessary to even know where to start. Nobody works as a team. On a larger level it is basically every department for themselves, and within ones own department it is every man for himself. Additionally, while the acquisition of Laundry Service and the Sports Syndicate within the past year seemed very promising at first, both have done nothing but cause more internal confusion and frustration because, again, leadership has (thus far) failed to find a way in which to successfully educate and integrate everyone into one cohesive, working unit.

Unless you have "Senior" (or higher) somewhere in your title you will constantly be undervalued and overlooked when it comes to new projects and/or client accounts. The catch-22 is that you will also never be able to grow or advance if you're never given (or sometimes even aware of) new opportunities to demonstrate your value and, ultimately, prove your worth.

Advice to Management

Teach your managers and leaders how to actually be managers and leaders.

5. "Associate Manager"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Wasserman Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, great work, challenging, learn from the best, blue chip clients, outstanding culture

Cons

less pay than I'd like but understandable in sports

6. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wasserman Media Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment to gain valuable hands on experience

Cons

Can lack direction from supervisors

"Consulting Division - Worst Leadership and Culture that I Have Ever Experienced"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Wasserman Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice offices, good location in the Westwood Village, exposure to sports and entertainment

Cons

This has been my biggest professional disappointment as I enthusiastically began my job with high expectations. So far, I have encountered the worst senior leadership and company culture that I have ever experienced. The Vice Presidents and Senior Vice Presidents have no idea how to manage an account or manage people. The only thing that senior leadership knows how to do is delegate to others and blame other people for their incompetence. Should you be a high performing employee with a strong skill-set, you will be rewarded by doing your supervisor's work and helping lower performing employees with their workload while you manage your work. Should you complain or ask for help prioritizing your workload, senior leadership will degenerate you to others and ostracize you.
    Also, senior leadership never provides clear direction because they have no clue as to what they are doing. It's a joke. My thoughts are similar to other reviews here. I've never experienced senior leadership that is so incompetent while so egocentric and narcissistic at the same time. The company outwardly tries to promote a "we" mentality but at the VP and above level, there is no "we". The SVPs only care about themselves. Without Casey Wasserman's name and relationships, I have no doubt that we would have lost many accounts. Casey is pretty removed from the Consulting Division's day-to-day activities, so he has no idea how bad his company’s leadership really is but here's one indication, look at all of your turnover in the past few years.

Advice to Management

Your leadership is truly awful because you have no clue what leadership and teamwork are really about. A leader provides clear direction to others while motivating and unifying a team. Your style of leadership only causes dissension and fingerprinting rather than team cohesion. All you know how to do is delegate and criticize others. As a result, you have fostered and cultivated the worst company culture that I have ever experienced. You also have some of the most disingenuous, manipulative Senior Vice Presidents that I have ever encountered. I hope that Casey takes a deep look at his senior leadership in the consulting division and is brave enough to make some much needed changes.

8. "Sports Consulting Intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Fairfield, CT
    Current Employee - Intern in Fairfield, CT

I have been working at Wasserman Media Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work. Liked the environment.

Cons

A lot of busy work. Tough to tell if it will be possible to move up at the company quickly.

"Terrible Company Culture/Employees Self-Concerned"

Former Employee - Manager, Consulting in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager, Consulting in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Wasserman Media Group (More than a year)

Pros

Traveling, going to events, looks good on resume, good office location

Cons

No visibility for entry or mid level employees, awful company culture (people wouldn't talk to one another even if they were sitting right across the way), horrendous management. your happiness and development is based solely on your account - each account is different, and some teams are more supportive/fun than others. Overall, had I known about the low salary compared to the market rate and poor management, I wouldn't have worked here.

Advice to Management

Clean out the upper management and focus less on title promotions and more on developing and recognizing achievements as they come.

"Lacking Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Stellar client roster, and they honestly do really great work, from strategy, to deck writing. Very buttoned up on their work.

Cons

The culture sucks. From the top on down, there is a lack of typical 'work hard - play hard' attitude that can be seen at other sports marketing agencies. It's work hard, and then work hard some more. Any culture initiatives are forced. Beyond that, management can be socially awkward. And management of accounts is poor - from staffing to resources, expecations, etc.

Advice to Management

Empower your day to day leaders to own client relationships and make culture a priority vs. checking the box on forced fun activities.

"Manager, Consulting"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Wasserman Media Group full-time

Pros

Good clients and interesting sports and entertainment activations

Cons

Poor leadership in the consulting division. As others have mentioned here, Vice Presidents only care about themselves and their salaries while they should be focused on actually building and motivating a team. At least 50% of the Directors have left in the past year because of poor leadership from Vice Presidents. The salaries are way below market rate. Many of the team leaders really have no clue what teamwork is about and do very little except delegate an inordinate amount of work on others. There is no consistency across teams so your experience is largely dictated by the account you're on and the leadership you're under. Read the other posts about the poor leadership as this is very true - most of the VPs only care about advancing their careers and don't have a clue how to build a team. Some accounts are led better than others but there seems to be this pervasive and arrogant mentality that any issues on a team are because of the managers and directors without looking at the Vice Presidents.

To really address the issues, senior leadership would have to look at itself and based on my experience that will never happen. Leadership would rather blame others than themselves. The change has to begin at the senior level because there is gross incompetence, no team unity, poor direction and absent leadership.

Advice to Management

It's so obvious and transparent so here's a little clue for you: if everyone on your team keeps leaving or turning over then perhaps you should begin questioning the leadership on the team! Are you really that obtuse that you can't see this?