Waste Management Dispatcher Reviews | Glassdoor

James C. Fish, Jr

"What an amazing place"

Former Employee - Dispatcher

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment that is engaging and exciting

Cons

None that come to mind as of this writing

Waste Management2019-08-28
  2. "Dispatcher/ Communication Specialist"

Current Employee - Dispatcher

I have been working at Waste Management full-time

Pros

Easy to make overtime Enjoyable employees

Cons

Short staffed, high turn over rate

Waste Management2019-09-20
  3. "New Management Needed"

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Marietta, GA

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If any they are giving money to stay

Cons

Managerment is horrible and training is needed

Advice to Management

Training all management to handle issues

Waste Management2019-08-20
  4. "Great benefits"

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Foxborough, MA

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits. Lots of training. Good coworkers.

Cons

Hourly wage is low.

Advice to Management

Pay employees more

Waste Management2019-06-03

"Aweful"

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Foxborough, MA

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are nice. Benefits are good.

Cons

Low pay bracket. No training - they let you watch someone then throw you right into it and then you are a bother to help. Management has no human component. No flexibility. Will make you work as many hours as THEY need you to and then punish you if you are 3 minutes late.

Advice to Management

Put some flexibility into your process. Come up with a training format. Talk to your people - really talk to them. Not just huddle or to tell them when they make a mistake

Waste Management2019-06-13
  6. "Sweet Gig"

Former Employee - Dispatcher

I worked at Waste Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits Responsive management Good Workload

Cons

Can be high stress if one personally does not like fast paced work

Waste Management2019-04-23
  7. "HR needs to clean up managment"

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

The co workers, drivers and route managers are awesome to work with

Cons

Management is too busy trying to be everyone’s friend then to hold people accountable. They scream team work team work team work, but only expect the same five people out of 40 to help out. If you are a stronger worker and help out you get harassed even more for mistakes. If you’re a slacker and want to do the bare minimum while your partner picks up your slack then this job is for you.

Advice to Management

Realize it’s not a social opportunity, you’re the reason everyone is leaving. Stop playing favorites listen to employees when they are stating their problems don’t start spewing lies saying the employee is the problem. Honestly it won’t change until corporate comes in and cleans the management house out.

Waste Management2019-05-25
  8. "This is a weirdly lopsided, cold, and monotonous yet stressful place to work"

Current Employee - Dispatcher

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

We get our own desks and management is generally polite and rather hands off if you are doing your job right. Typically they aren't always breathing down our necks. The internet has very few content filters. As a dispatcher you get to really know the drivers which is the best part and sometimes in my opinion the only real redeeming factor of this role. If you are hired and given a slow and sleepy site like Ames or Batavia/DeKalb, you will have an easy gravy job that gets you paid the very same as if you run an insanely busy site. It's the luck of the draw in this place. Regardless of your sites, some days will be slower and you can actually have a few moments to breathe every now and then. But those days are rather rare.

Cons

The highest performing employees are consistently overworked, underpaid, undervalued and unappreciated. Weak employees receive the same compensation, if not better, than those who work 10 times as hard and more often than they do. Work life balance varies wildly from employee to employee, with lazier employees leaving on time every day by pawning off their work onto the closers who are then obligated to complete it or else answer for everyone else's mistakes. Employees who are very good and exceed at their jobs are routinely punished by being given more work and responsibilities whilst not receiving any raises or gratitude. This applies to dispatchers AND drivers. The remote relationships dispatchers have with their route managers are often strained and adversarial. There is a general negativity around the office, generated by the laziest employees constantly fighting and bickering and complaining about how their job is harder than everyone else's and how they are most invaluable. It's quite bizarre and juvenile and pathetic. Employees who know which fellow employees work hardest and have the most responsibilities will treat them with aloofness and resentment. Fellow employees often conspire against others to land them in trouble or to get them punished, over some kind of envy or a petty squabble or whatever else. Incompetent employees rarely get disciplined by management, and overall there is almost an incentive to underperform because there is no benefit to exceeding expectations and excelling at what you do. It's painfully obvious that doing the very barest minimum while a small handful of people pick up your slack will not get you fired, or even in trouble. It's so weird that it almost seems as if WM has a masochistic desire to push their best employees AWAY from the company by kicking them around constantly and using and abusing them until they have burned out while coddling relatively worthless other employees indefinitely. Management, while polite and generally kind, will just demand more and more of you if you can handle everything they throw at you and you'll get nothing in return. Upward mobility feels hopeless and unobtainable once you have become irreplaceable in your current role and the only thing that can breed is discontentment and apathy. From the top down, WM does a very good job of making sure all the middling employees on the frontlines of making this company efficient have no value and are absolutely replaceable. Jim Fish and co. are very transparent that they only care about profit over people and that they have little to no care about what happens to their underlings. You are merely a cog in this company.

Advice to Management

WM as a whole should better compensate employees proportionately to the size of the sites they dispatch for and the level of responsibility they have. A dispatcher dispatching for a major metropolitan area and one of the biggest sites in the entire company like myself should not be receiving a wage lower than the guy with the overnight shifts who sits around doing very little. WM is a Fortune 200 company and could afford to pay their employees accordingly, but as I've said, Waste Management doesn't care about their employees or their quality of life because they always know there will be something next in line behind them if they leave. My job is more stressful than I can adequately express and I have in fact blacked out previously due to being overworked and overwhelmed. But on an average day if I have to take 250+ phone calls, most of the other sites only have to take 30-70. I was just very unlucky landing in my specific role, I guess.

Waste Management2019-01-17

"Router/Dispatch Combo"

Current Employee - Router/Dispatcher in Lodi, CA

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

After 90 days you get 18 days off for your first year. The Manager is hard working and very kind. I wish thier was more of her!

Cons

No Training, The leads are not knollegeable. ( Except in their personal responsibility's. Lazy, refuse to help. Retaliated when they are told on for not doing thier jobs. Talk negatively about you to other employees making sure thst you and the whole office can hear, The harrasment gets a lot worse when the manager is out of town.

Advice to Management

Get an effective training plan. Hold your leads and other employees responsible for their illegal actions. Do not set your new hires up for imediiate failure. Everyone is replaceable, make sure the office stays professional.

Waste Management2018-10-13
  10. "Dispatch Supervisor"

Former Employee - Dispatch Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great innovative company to work for. They are especially great at developing their employees.

Cons

Tends to get political since it is such a big company.

Waste Management2018-07-09