Waste Management Inside Commercial Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Waste Management President and CEO James C. Fish, Jr
James C. Fish, Jr
1 Rating

"Great Company, lots of work"

Current Employee - Inside Commercial Representative

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

-High starting pay -culture -will always have work -stock purchase program -401k Benefits

Cons

-strict schedule (no flexibility) -management could use improvements -communication between corp. and the dept. is poor "if there are any big changes, the customer may know about it before management informs you the rep."

Advice to Management

Build stronger communication between management and employees and plan major changes with customer service reps. in mind as they are the face of the company when customers call in.

Waste Management2017-10-26
  2. "Wish We got Paid more"

Current Employee - Inside Commercial Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great 401k Great stock plan Great opportunities potential

Cons

Downsides are they don't pay my position enough compare to other waste companies. we bring in the money and don't get compensated like we should. need better comp plan for ICR. Company net profit 2 billion dollars and all we get is a 2% raise when are stats are good. makes no sense. Also, we don't in the phoenix office get a decent Christmas party, why can't we rent out a venue and do a decent holiday party

Waste Management2019-11-19

"Phoenix Call Center"

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, lots of vacation time, early hours, clean and comfortable environment, good pay

Cons

Constantly changing compensation plan which pays reps less and less each year

Waste Management2016-10-25
  4. "inside sales rep"

I have been working at Waste Management full-time

Pros

good, pay, cafeteria, provide food, 4week paid time off

Cons

always changing to decrease bonus amount, strict attendance policy

Advice to Management

provide incentives to remove attendance points. increase salary.

Waste Management2016-10-05

"HORRIBLE PLACE"

Former Employee - Inside Commercial Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My working hours were ideal. M-F. That is literally the ONLY problem I have

Cons

If you want to feel appreciated, don't work here. The commission structure CONSTANTLY changes. And they are constantly lowering the cap. When I left, the cap was only 1/3 of what it was the year prior. I worked commercial customers, then they made us start taking calls for residential customers. Policies and procedures are WAY different, however we received no training on it. Speaking of training... it is a joke. After training there is no help on the floor except for your coworkers. And they get on trouble for helping you. The place is so micromanaged and it's such a stressful environment. And they fire people for the tiniest thing, or fire GREAT employees over false accusations. The upper management lies and does NOT care about its employees.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect. There are so many people who are looking for other jobs because of how they are being treated. It takes less money to pour into your current employees, trying to retain then than to spend the money on training a new class. Make people feel appreciated. If you treat the employees well and they are happy it will flow from them down to the customers. Its not rocket science.

Waste Management2016-10-05

"Inside Commercial Rep."

Inside Commercial Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Waste Management for more than a year

Pros

Vacation Time and team members.

Cons

Lack of communication with management very hard to find help when needed, Commission pay structure always changing, management always told us that we will be happy but it actually was much worse then the previous. this company must to find a way to retain their employees. I worked there of almost 3 years and seen a lot of good employees leave because of pay or simply not being appreciated for their hard work and dedication and it shouldn't be that way. CUSTOMERS COME FIRST AND THEN THE FRONT LINE EMPLOYEES.

Advice to Management

Find a way to give support when needed cause it is not a easy job especially when coming out of training onto to the floor. Other employees shouldn't have to take on the task of consistently having to assist the new employees when we are held to high goals ourselves.

Waste Management2016-09-23

"Company lost in the landfill and very much alergic to technology"

Former Employee - Inside Commercial Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Waste Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

Long training period, but it is all paid and helps the 90 days before benefits feel a little shorter. Awesome co-workers across all teams I worked with. Easy to become a veteran agent due to high turnover in the call center.

Cons

Ancient and outdated systems, we are talking about 30 years old, which is way older that most of their call center staff. Unfair goals across market areas, sales are not audited and on an honor system, micromanagement, leadership commonly recruited from outside that don't understand the company and day to day operations, low base pay, unpredictable long term commissions due to structuring of teams by market areas with common voluntold moves between market areas/teams, and mediocre benefits that are kinda pricey deducted weekly. Outdated systems negatively impact not just the agent, but the customer and creates often times an awkward experience where you have to be creative in explaining why they must stay on the line 20-30 minutes in most cases for simple orders or account changes that should be quick in the 21st century. Typical sales/change of service contact: i.e. a property management wants to make a change in their service level, about 20 mins later order is submitted after looking up pricing and filling out an order form, even for portions of service that are not being changed have to be looked up and entered like as if a brand new customer, agent hears back 1-3 business days later after processing/review by someone else (they will lookup pricing and verify #'s before entering values into the system), and if order has typo/error you get it sent back to you to do it all over again on your own time.

Advice to Management

Your customers should not have to sacrifice significant amounts of time for relatively minor changes as they have things to do and the call queue suffers as well. Evolve or die off is the scientific way to put it, as businesses don't have time to wait 20+ minutes for a should be 5ish minute process. I have spoken with many businesses that felt their time was not valued due to lengthy contacts and would have gone with a competitor if they were not held hostage to a franchise agreement in their area for faster and more efficient service change contacts.

Waste Management2016-03-15

"WM Sells"

Inside Commercial Representative in Marietta, GA

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

Good Pay, nice building, stable company

Cons

Bad upper management shows a great deal of favoritism

Waste Management2015-09-28
  9. "Phoenix Call Center"

I have been working at Waste Management full-time

Pros

Relaxed, great people, great hours, decent bonus, and good location. oh and great work/life balance

Cons

Micromanagement, unfair goals for certain market areas no tuition reimbursement, and hard to advance.

Advice to Management

keep doing what your doing, just ease off the micromanagement

Waste Management2015-08-05

"Annonymous"

Inside Commercial Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Waste Management

Pros

You learn a lot about trash, recycle and regulations. Company is environmentally focused. Paychecks are weekly. No waiting time period for 401k to be fully vested.

Cons

Pay is not very competitive, compared to other companies locally. There is not anyone who audits sales. This causes a rift between those who do their job honestly and with integrity, compared to those who are only there to make their bonus thru whatever mean possible. The majority of managers are not very focused on improvement but instead only on making numbers for the month. Surveys are not very well weighted each month, if a customer is upset with the company it counts against the employee who took the call. Advancement is who you know instead of what you know.

Advice to Management

Hold employees accountable for their sales and for the work they do. If reps are being dishonest only to help themselves it hurts the whole company as well as their teammates. There are some great supervisors, but there are even more who are unprofessional and not very well suited for the position.

Waste Management2015-07-13