Waste Management Inside Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 5, 2019

2.6
Waste Management President and CEO James C. Fish, Jr
James C. Fish, Jr
  1. "Great company, geat pay"

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment. Good benefits, good vacation time. Nice people

Cons

typically need an MBA to move up in the sales center.

Waste Management2019-12-05
  2. "Inside sales representative"

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

"Family " environment. The workers are the backbone and the managers are not micro managing. The company's morality and teambildung is top notch.

Cons

Constantly Changing commission structure. And after my first year corporate froze the raises and did a corporate layoff.

Waste Management2019-11-28
  3. "Great Company"

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Uncapped Commission , fast pace, great training

Cons

Only allowed to work 8 hours a day regardless of your month's sales goal

Advice to Management

Managers were great. Training was great.

Waste Management2019-11-12
  4. "WM ISR"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at Waste Management full-time

Pros

There is some competitive pay

Cons

Constant changes coming from the top

Waste Management2019-10-24
  5. "Sales"

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work Hours and working with customers

Cons

Culture not conducive to employee success- high stress

Advice to Management

Leadership should promote and train managers and supervisors not strictly from production but leadership development is necessary

Waste Management2019-04-29

"Lots of Potential...Wasted"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Waste Management part-time for more than a year

Pros

In all honesty, the job itself wasn't very difficult and the chances to make money were potentially there, but because of other elements and factors what should've been easy and profitable became unnecessarily difficult, tedious, and unattainable.

Cons

Oh boy where to begin... -Incredibly mismanaged sales department as a whole, but especially on the Snapshot team -There is no actual sales *management* in this department. There are people in charge who approve your paychecks and who occasionally may have a meeting with you, but there's no sales coaching, no strategies, no regular meetings or pipeline conversations etc. They seem to have no interest or ability to develop skills. I was there for over a year and I NEVER had a one-on-one with my leader. I never found out my conversation rates. When asked once if we could get that info, we were told (in a formal meeting environment) that we could "calculate our conversion rates ourselves" even though that's what Salesforce SHOULD do for us -The commission payout for 100% to goal was SO uneven it was insulting and laughable. On this team if you hit 100% to goal you get paid $2k. But each team has a different monthly goal. Some teams need to only sell $5k and others have to sell $17k in order to hit 100%. There is NO difference in what you get paid if you sell TRIPLE another rep. If your market has a $17,000 goal you'll get paid the SAME as the rep who sold $5,000 -Leadership does not care about their sales reps at all. I have seen this happen myself and have had it happen to me, but MULTIPLE times we would approach our leaders about issues we were having that impact our abilities to do our jobs. Often these issues were technical and on WM's side to fix. When asked we would get shoulder shrugs and management would walk away. No urgency at all. These were things our goals DEPEND on and we would go MONTHS without resolutions and get a bunch of halfhearted answers. They do not care about our success. They just care about their OWN success. No training, no coaching, no REAL sales leadership here, just a bunch of people with some seniority who carry around laptops and call themselves leaders.

Advice to Management

Pay your sales reps based on the REVENUE they generate. Make the payout make sense. Your reps will work HARDER if their higher goals give them higher payouts. LISTEN to your reps when they say "this issue is preventing me from doing my job". Hire ACTUAL sales leaders who grow skills instead of yes men whose negligence is creating a terrible environment and discouraging REAL salespeople from staying.

Waste Management2019-04-22

"SMB B2B hunter role, tenacity required, self starters, strict sink or swim mentality, high intensity, ABC's"

Current Employee - Proactive Inside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Little to no interference from Management you are free to run your day as if you run the business yourself. Great pay. Fun and lively work environment. Best place to make friends at work. Highly supportive peer system.

Cons

Little to no training or ongoing support from management with individuals whom are struggling to meet goals. Stress over job security when not meeting sales quotas. Internal applicants need not apply for management without having a relevant degree. Lack of consistency in enforcement of policies/procedures. Lack of sound judgment or decision making when changes are implemented or needed. Stubborn Management unwilling to accept any form of criticism be it constructive or otherwise indifferent.

Advice to Management

Be open minded. Be genuine. Care. Listen. Appreciate. Celebrate. Don't try to fake any of the latter it's extremely obvious and disheartening when it feels forced or insincere.

Waste Management2017-05-26
  8. "Some questionable business practices during my tenure."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Proactive Environmental Focus, Concern for Safety

Cons

Charges to Customer, Contract Pricing

Waste Management2017-02-04

"Great company to work for, commission plans were up and down, changes yearly,"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Commission plans were great in the beginning could make upwards of 2k/mo

Cons

Commission plans changed almost year, pilots were horrible. Commission plans would garner as little as 250/mo

Waste Management2017-01-13

"Great job, good pay/work balance - no accountability"

Former Employee - Proactive Inside Sales Representative in Wixom, MI

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility, hours, hourly rate, bonus structure, work environment, paid time off

Cons

Different sales divisions fighting against each other for sales, poor supervisors, no accountability

Advice to Management

Use Salesforce the way it was meant to be used and require immediate action for the inside sales team when they don't create opportunities for future prospecting.

Waste Management2016-07-19