Waste Management Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
James C. Fish, Jr

1,223 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great benefits with steady employement (in 112 reviews)

• You won't find a competitor in this sector that can match the pay and benefits of WM (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours of work are expected (in 52 reviews)

• The work-life balance is sometimes off because of assigned projects in remote regions (in 20 reviews)

"Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Waste Management full-time

Pros

Great benefits. They match 401k and give you discounts on buying stocks. My stock options typically earn me an extra 2k-4k a year depending on the fluctuation of market pricing. My heath insurance is the most comprehensive I have ever had. Full time employees start out with two weeks of paid vacations which increases to three weeks when you hit five years of employment

Cons

the annual raises are small

"Outside Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Waste Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of freedom to work your territory as needed. Lots of freedom to adjust contracts and pricing to fit customer needs and make the sale. Worked from home most of the time, only in the office 1-2x per week, or more if you want. Not micro-managed, and the people in the office are great and helpful. Pay is pretty decent and benefits were pretty great. 401K 1:1 match up to 3%, then .5 the next 3% (4.5% match). Our brand is trusted and compared to competition in the area our service is reputable. It's not a very technical job so if you're not tech-savvy but love to earn new business via cold calling, it's a great job.

Cons

It's a LOT of work to continuously fill your pipeline, take care of current customer complaints, communicate with other departments, and track when contracts expire with prospects in your pipeline. On top of that there's a lot of Salesforce reporting that would best be served by an admin, but it's on you--takes a lot of your time. There's a lot of internal competition--that is, other sales reps in different channels taking a LOT of the great leads/opportunities in your area. While not a con, this is not a 40 hour-per-week job if you're going to consistently hit goal. Lots of nights until 8pm writing proposals, salesforce data entry, and planning the next day/week. Not much opportunity for upward mobility unless you want to move to a new market.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed my time at WM, the new sales processes installed are helpful, but some of the data entry takes up too much time and isn't sales related. Get more sales support.

3. "Good"

Current Employee - Heavy Equipment Operator in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Heavy Equipment Operator in Portland, OR

I have been working at Waste Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company great benefits

Cons

Haven't had any cons yet

4. "Awesome Job"

Current Employee - Technician II in Greenville, OH
    Current Employee - Technician II in Greenville, OH

I have been working at Waste Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company ever , pay, benefit, vacation and great managers

Cons

Nothing, No negative aspect, good environment, flexible schedule, weekend off

Advice to Management

Thanks you for the opportunity and have experience at this company

"Great Company, lots of work"

Current Employee - Inside Commercial Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Commercial Representative

I have been working at Waste Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-High starting pay
    -culture
    -will always have work
    -stock purchase program
    -401k Benefits

Cons

-strict schedule (no flexibility)
    -management could use improvements
    -communication between corp. and the dept. is poor "if there are any big changes, the customer may know about it before management informs you the rep."

Advice to Management

Build stronger communication between management and employees and plan major changes with customer service reps. in mind as they are the face of the company when customers call in.

6. "Good"

I have been working at Waste Management full-time

Pros

very prompt, easy to communicate with office staff

Cons

much time dedication is needed, pay is good though.

7. "Great people but management sucks"

I worked at Waste Management full-time

Pros

The people I worked with were great and always very supportive.

Cons

The management at this company was the absolute worst!! I worked for two women that happened to be dating and I have no problem with that at all but they were bullies and saw to it to make my experience there quite possibly the worst experience I ever had, I ended up walking off the job when I felt that I couldn't do anything/felt like I could go to HR for harassment.

Advice to Management

Be sure to know who your people are. Observe managers in their roles to see that they are impartial and treating everyone fairly at all times.

8. "Great People, Great Benifits"

I worked at Waste Management full-time

Pros

Excellent Benifits and Training at all levels. If your willing to relocate promotions are available.

Cons

It is a large corporation and sometimes it leads to communication issues and people can be moved out like Commodities. It can be political as all companies.

"Customer Experience Representitive"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Foxborough, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Foxborough, MA

I worked at Waste Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schedule: 8-5 pm M-F

if you do ever get out of the customer service center, the work place is more relaxed and less stress.

Cons

Managers disorganized , the worst one has since left due to medical
    the managers managers are even worse, They won't even look in your direction when they walk by. They give all their dirty work to the managers and the managers are then supposed to give employees their even more dirty work.

Customers are literally insane about trash. it's unbelievable the stress and abuse we have to deal while assisting customers.

The longest calls are sales calls, they don't have a good system for creating new accounts yet, they remove sales incentive because the managers wanted a bigger bonus.

Systems are from what seem the 1980s, black and green DOS based system will eventually drive you insane.

Managers will straight up lie to you when you are new saying there is potential to move up from customer service to account manager or business accounts but they know that's not true. if you ask after your 6 months or year, they will simply laugh and let you know everyone has been waiting for years to move up.

Advice to Management

Stop blaming the "gray area" of the rules you have established and take some responcibility for your work place, seems once you earned a little bit of senoirty you stopped caring and only work hard enough to not get fired.

Example, this christmas season we could not service an entire neighborhood for 3 weeks, and we had no idea what to tell the customers, needless to say , they were not happy.

10. "driver"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Doral, FL

I worked at Waste Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company, that did me good

Cons

long hrs, but was well worth it

Advice to Management

help

Showing 1,223 of 1,261 reviews