Waste Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 15, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
James C. Fish, Jr

Pros
Cons
  • Drive cam in every truck, more times than any job I've ever had, long hours (57 (in 46 reviews)

• Customer service was poor and they began to lose market share (in 30 reviews)

1. "Mechanic"

Current Employee - Diesel Technician
    Current Employee - Diesel Technician

I have been working at Waste Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Safety focused environment. Good benefits/starting pay. Support team work.

Cons

Micro-managed. Focus on problems and who to blame. Change procedures constantly. High turnover rate. Would rather hire and train new employees, than keep people who know what they are doing. Set impossible goals year to year. Think that every time a truck breaks down, it is preventable. Focus on Safety but don't want to spend money on things to keep employees safe if they are too expensive. Spend a lot of money on new trucks but don't want to spend money on maintaining them. Focus daily on what employees do wrong and not what they do right. Make policies so they fire whoever they want. Hire people at higher pay then employees that have been there for decades.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping good employees instead of spending thousands on hiring someone who has no clue what they are doing. Don't hire people at higher pay then current employees that have been there for 10+ years. Put money into the trucks that make money for the company. without the truck you have no business.

2. "SBS Intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Waste Management as an intern

Pros

WM Rewards points for great performance

Cons

Their intern program has a lot of flaws, it does not provide you as much experience as some of the other internships corporate companies are offering. It's great for those who don't have customer service experience, but for those that already do - you aren't really gaining analytical skills. When I first started, I thought that it wouldn't be so involved with the customers. If you have a degree that specializes in something this isn't the place for you. You will most likely end up on the client services side, as I've seen in the past that interns don't have an opportunity at analytical or specialized departments.

Advice to Management

Provide rotational programs, have internships in other departments other than customer service, the culture doesn't make the interns feel valued as you stick us with grunt work that will only provide customer service skills when you hire some of us as Accounting, Finance, and Business Admin majors....

3. "ok company to work for, former diesel mechanic"

Former Employee - Diesel Technician in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Diesel Technician in Naples, FL

I worked at Waste Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benifits, somewhat dependable company, ok pay. some good co workers. and some bad.

Cons

very large company so you're more like just a number to them. and this company is all about the numbers. how to get more out of their employees and pay less is number one to them. this is also a very strict company. and I've seen employees with 10-20 years invested in the company get fired or suspended for minor mistakes. you are definitely replaceable to them. also their is a very high turnover rate for managers. at least where I was. also don't count on a real raise. in 2 years I got 35 cents. was promised a little more for each certification I got. and I never got a dime. so I eventually left. Bottom line if you're looking for a solid job with benifits with a big company. it will do. but if you're looking for career advancement or to stand out in this company it's hard to do. it's a place were you could end up doing the same exact job you were doing on day 1. for the next 20 years.

Advice to Management

none . their is no way they will listen to it

5. "Customer Experience Supervisor"

I have been working at Waste Management full-time

Pros

Large well known company, great benefits, great brand, great vision

Cons

Micro-managed, last minute fire drills that will require you to clear your calendar of planned tasks. Outdated systems and often times there are technology issues.

6. "CSR"

I have been working at Waste Management full-time

Pros

The benefits and time off are good. A lot of opportunity for growth.

Cons

They aren't really flexible with your schedule.

"Not what I expected"

Current Employee - Route Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Route Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Waste Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic working individuals, ok benefits for a fortune 500 company.

Cons

Expected to maximize efficiency with very little support from top down. Never made to feel a sense of accomplishment, but more like your effort was not enough.

Advice to Management

Listen to your managers out in the field, make them feel appreciated instead of having them fear there jobs and loathing the start of a new week. Let them manage their drivers hands on out in the field instead of sidelining them with reports and extra paperwork. If you wanted statisticians to manage the routes then that is what should be done.

"Route Manager"

Pros

Decent pay and great benefits. Excellent safety culture.

Cons

Route Managers are given a lot to do with very little time to complete tasks creates a high stress environment. Most of the time managers will work 14 hours per day, that's if the day goes smooth. How the company measures efficiency and goals seems like the focus is on pinching minutes with our drivers rather than fixing problems with the drivers. Every morning I had drivers tell me about truck issues that they have been writing down for months but were never fixed, or old trucks breaking down and being told that there would be no new(ish) trucks to replace them. If your yard isn't doing well or as well as Corporate wants you to, don't count on much support other than lectures about coaching and goal setting. Customer complaint cases come in daily, and it's frustrating to see another complaint about a truck leaking oil/fluids when it has been written up for months with nothing done. Finally, if you don't have a good relationship with your fellow route managers, they will have no issue with pushing problems to you.

Advice to Management

Coaching drivers and setting accurate goals only goes so far, listen to the guys on the front-line to find out what they need. Don't ignore your lower income yards or the consequence will be losing customers.

9. "Public Sector Manager"

I worked at Waste Management full-time

Pros

Largest total environmental Waste Solutions Company in nation and locally. Doing well financially and able to resource innovative solutions.

Cons

Very corporate and decisions take a long time

10. "Long interview process"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Waste Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very kind and professional employees who seem to genuinely enjoy their jobs. Many benefits. ESPP, 401k, medical after 90 days, cafeteria and gym on site.

Cons

Training so far does not seem very organized, massive text book issued to each employee to study but not to keep, expected to transfer information by hand. Company uses old school clock in method, can only clock in 5 minutes early - 1 minute late any more or less and you are penalized. It's a given than monitoring stats for each employees performance is good business but seems borderline "big brother" at times.

11. "Good so far"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Waste Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

challenging work, latest technologies

Cons

lack of plans , sudden changes , volatile , lots of changes in SLT

Advice to Management

Shows stability

Showing 286 of 1,078 reviews