Waste Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
James C. Fish, Jr

1,113 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Drive cam in every truck, more times than any job I've ever had, long hours (57 (in 46 reviews)

• The work-life balance is sometimes off because of assigned projects in remote regions (in 18 reviews)

"Not fair with their employees."

Current Employee - Driver in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Driver in San Diego, CA

Pros

Weekly pay is always goog here at WM. Medical and dental benefits are decent. Drivers here seem to take care of each other.

Cons

Management is always back stabbing each other. Managers dont care obout you as a human being. They treat everybody like machines. They expect you to finish a route with over 180 bins in less than 11 hours. God forbid you can't finish cause you can kiss your weekly bonus good bye. Asking for a saturday is unexceptable. (when they get 3 day weekends). Working over 64 hours a week sounds good but your body really feels it after a whyle. Oh and another thing we have 8 PTO days off a year (personal time off) They just told us in a meeting that we can't call in sick. If we do they will determine over the phone if we are sick or not. Overall Waste management will work you to the ground and after 20+ years in the company they will let you go just because you are not as productive as another driver that has been there for 2 or 3 years. We never have time to ourselves we work over 11 hours a day and our short day 8 hours on Saturday. You are never home thats why we have such a high divorce rate.

Advice to Management

Go out in a route to see what we do. Don't rely on a computer to tell us how to run our routes and determine a finishing time. We need to start rotating Saturdays.

"Poor technology and backwoods thinking....."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Some of my co-workers were real gems and I will maintain lifelong friendships with them.

Cons

They are still using Windows XP - they are going to "upgrade" to Windows 2000.
    Departments fight with each other and there is no feeling of a common goal.
    Employees are not treated fairly by management....it's all bean counting and how they can line their pockets.
    All operating systems are old, slow and waste time. Trying to fix any kind of billing error or account issue can take weeks, if not months.

Advice to Management

Invest in some update technology. It will make everyone's life easier. Treat others the way you want to be treated.

"Very stressful, and intimidating is the atmosphere at this company!"

Current Employee - Driver in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Driver in Chicago, IL

Pros

They will let you work as many hours a week as you want. You cna make very good money, but you will have to sacrifice time with family.

Cons

the drivers are the lowest on the totempole, and they do all of the work, and are paid. That is it. there is way to many managers and office personel. 20 years ago we had more customers (WORK), more drivers, and one tenth of the management team. we were a fortune 500 company back then. our job is very dangerous and difficult, but that is ok. It is the managers that will say and do anything for their bonuses, that spoil the workplace atmosphere.

Advice to Management

remember that your employees are human. Don't make your route supervisor's salary so bonus heavy. Try predicating there bonuses on the percentages of there drivers that get there bonuses. qiut fostering such an adversarial relationships with the employees. there would be no limits to the great things that we could accomplish if we could just work together

"Caution: you may not want job after reading."

Current Employee - Technician in Bremerton, WA
    Current Employee - Technician in Bremerton, WA

Pros

Good pay for around this area, has potential with new DM, most of the employees are good people, has decent benefits

Cons

Middle Management needs some serious work. None should be in the position there in. All of them treat employees like there expendable, The new DM is on the right path, hopefully he finds better management through out this facility. Entire facility is a decent place to work and work with, you talk to any employee that has worked here or does work here and everyone would say they left or is going to leave because of middle management. If you want to have all of your ambition and determination sucked out of you then I would strongly recommend working for them.

Advice to Management

Middle management needs to learn how to manage, all of them think that every employee is expendable and treat them like there nobody. They do not encourage, give any kind of recognition(except negative), motivate, give respect..... good luck training people.... alot of the good workers I have seen enter this facility were definately beneficial, its a shame they left and it will be a shame when I leave.....

"More work, more responsiblility, less pay year after year"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Pros

Lots of training and experience

Cons

Even the top performers are just told to do more for less money. You keep performing at the same level year after year but you get paid less and less. They just keep chipping away at the comp plan and piling on the responsibilites until reps are so overloaded and under compensated that even their best seasoned reps that have been there for years are leaving! Don't seem to care that employees have lives and families outside the job. The time off is terrible and they only thing WM cares about is WM.

Advice to Management

Not interested in helping them improve when they showed no interest in helping keep the good performing employees. Waste of 7 years!

"UNFAIR ENVIROMENT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA

Pros

BEFITS,BENFITS,BENFITS and benifits no more

Cons

the company has a very wierd policy if one day you decide to get a higher position you will never and i mean never get what the position pays you only get 10% increase example:if the posistion offers 20$ hourly and you working in WM and you making 15$ in hour you will only gwt 16.50$ even if the position offers 20$ so they will hire someone off the street and they will train this person for 3 to 4month and he will get the right pay but if you an employee and start a new position you don't get the money you deserve

Advice to Management

senior managment needs to take a look at the hourly pay and the salary and compare it with the trraffic or the amount of work they very out touch with the small guys

"Worst company I have ever worked for!!"

Former Employee - Billing Representative in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Billing Representative in Lombard, IL

Pros

Flex Time
    Location
    Okay pay depending on previous experience

Cons

Low Morale
    Low Rises
    Senior leadership has no idea what going on.

"Good company, but IT seems lost"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Great benefits. Decent compensation. Reasonably stable work environment unless you are in IT.

Cons

IT is stuck in a downward spiral. Most people with options elsewhere are leaving. The rest are constantly worried about being laid off by a strong-armed leadership that wants results produced "no matter what".

Advice to Management

Take a step back and figure out what you want to accomplish and align everyone to that vision. Engage the business teams rather than "teaching them what they need". And stop trying to throw more money/people at projects to get them done in shorter times. Sometimes, it does take 9 months to make a baby.

"Very Poor"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

fellow co-workers are awesome that's about it.

Cons

Bad management, employees are treated like kids, training SUCKSSSSSSSSSS, to many changes with no heads up.

Advice to Management

invest in a good training program and get a better management team.

"Turn over and terrible Management in Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Waste Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Benefits are great!
    Employees are great

Cons

Managers do not work with employees
    Turn over is terrible
    Terrible Training Program
    You are allowed 2 weeks of vacation you can take one week of vacation but other week has to be broken down and can't take Monday's off ever!!
    No room for advancement
    Christmas party is in the office - this shows how valuable employees really are.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees since they are the ones on the phones. If there are calls on hold with all the turn over managers should get on the phones also. Value your employees instead of making us feel we are all replaceable.

Showing 1,113 of 1,144 reviews