Waste Management Reviews | Glassdoor

1,223 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,223 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great benefits with steady employement (in 112 reviews)

• You won't find a competitor in this sector that can match the pay and benefits of WM (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours of work are expected (in 52 reviews)

• The work-life balance is sometimes off because of assigned projects in remote regions (in 20 reviews)

1. "Waste is right"

Former Employee - Mechanic in East Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Mechanic in East Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Waste Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decient wage for the area

Cons

Be ready to throw your coworkers under the bus to advance here !

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employee's stop the BS .

2. "driver"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Hazard, KY
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Hazard, KY

I worked at Waste Management full-time

Pros

The pay is good and gets paid every week.

Cons

no set work work time. You start your route you go home when your route is done for the day. That days route my take 5hours, 8 hours or 10 hours. The trucks they drive are death traps.

Advice to Management

Waste Management need to hire better head managers to organize the crew. Need safer track on the road.

3. "Beware! Keep looking for another job!"

I worked at Waste Management full-time

Pros

Gifts at Christmas, free food

Cons

The managers are suck ups, they only like a certain group of people which are the drama queens who like to start trouble. They dislike the employees who work hard. All they care about is their bonuses and their vacation days.

Advice to Management

The place is absolutely miserable. It will stay that way until you do something to change it.

4. "Customer services"

Current Employee - ICR in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - ICR in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Waste Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Weekly paycheck with a monthly bonus , my schedule most of the time, a clean professional work environment , and professional co workers

Cons

im have no challenges at work to motivate me, there is no room for advancement, bonus structure continues to change each year for the worse, mandatory overtime all of the sudden after 3 years inside the department, co workers who continue not to produce are never held accountable and not enough hands on coaching for teammates on the floor. Those last two are tied together

Advice to Management

I still have no idea why our idea of coaching is sitting with someone time after time month after month. Inside a call center it's the goal to have everyone performing at a high level. We make good money for customer service, over 53k past two years. We also are a small department and when you have a smaller team it should be elite. Everyone should basically be interchangeable . We all know that some people will be better than others but everyone should be looked at as dependable. In order to make our team better changes need to be made. We don't provide closed door coaching when calls are listened to and proper advice and tips can be given. This needs to be done and I'm clueless as to why it's not. We have 3 leads on the floor who are nice but I'm not sure what exactly their duties are . I assume a lot goes on behind the scenes ? One guy who acts like a lead but is not called a lead might be the worst hire in the history of customer service . He'd rather look at floor than say hi to someone , and WE have him taking escalated calls. It's a joke and I cannot be more disgusted that a guy like this is in a position over myself of a number of people on the floor. They even gave him a wireless headset. So as upper management how can you give someone that kind of power and leadership to give advice , floor walk , and take escalations ? When this guy had the communication skills of a piece of wood ??? I hear him give advice and teammates are more confused by the minute. I hate to be so mean but it's not a good fit and it's an embarrassment to everyone on the floor. I need more challenges at work but with capped bonuses for sales and quality it's impossible to be challenged . People get away with murder not doing their job and nothing is done . I make good money but for someone who wants more it's impossible so I go into work like office space each day ... go through the motions day to day. I can live with that but my main concearn is for those who are not on my level. If I'm unhappy and I make good money I can only imagine how upset other people are. We as a department do not have the right coaching plan in place to get people to the next level , bottom line.

5. "High Turnover"

Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Waste Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, my logistics job hours were from 8-4.

Cons

Raises were 1% which is not enough to keep up with inflation.
    In the Buffalo office, there is no mobility. Chances are, you are stuck in that job for the rest of your career. Management generally ignores employee concerns.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and give better raises.

6. "Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Waste Management (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely None. But they said I need to write at least 20 words! I guess the parking garage even though the odds of getting a covered spot, not on the top is rare.

Cons

Disorganized and passes up good talent for people who are going to quit before trainings over then wonder why the turnover rate is high. Interview process is long and a waste of time to not even hire the good candidates. Hiring managers walk around like they're Gods and won't hire anyone that's a threat appearance wise to them. They are oblivious and could care less about wasting people's time.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and open your eyes to the problem! You! High turnover wouldn't be a problem if you hired the good people who you currently decline offers to because they are more competent and capable then the ones you have now! Ridiculous and unorganized system.

7. "Recruiter"

Former Employee - Talent Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Talent Advisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Waste Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, great benefits, provided tools and education to enhance my recruiting skills.

Cons

Poor management, unclear steps for succession and lack of succession planning, unrealistic metrics.

8. "Commercial Driver"

Current Employee - Driver in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Driver in Orem, UT

I have been working at Waste Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great team and good local leadership. not a lot from upper

Cons

stinky and dirty work. all weather work

9. "Inside Sales"

Former Employee - ICR in Germantown, WI
    Former Employee - ICR in Germantown, WI

I worked at Waste Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonuses and pay
    Vacation after 1 year

Cons

Poor judgment of people
    They dislike employees with FMLA and will fire great employees for minor things

Advice to Management

Value your employees not technicalities

"Inside Account Manager"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent

I worked at Waste Management full-time

Pros

The benefits were some of the best I've ever had in this call center environment

Cons

I was being regularly harassed by two of my managers for no apparent reason. I ended up walking out one day because I had had enough of their constant taunting which was ridiculous in nature. If I told you one if the reasons they brought me in, you wouldn't believe it. Also favoritism ran rampant especially among other unscrupulous IAMs that regularly manipulated their numbers. It was a very unhealthy and toxic atmosphere and I was glad to have left when I did.

Advice to Management

When someone asks for your help, take them seriously. It is sad that there are managers whose only clear motive was to climb the corporate ladder and have absolutely no supervisory skills.

Showing 1,223 of 1,261 reviews