Waste Management "trash" Reviews | Glassdoor

Waste Management Employee Reviews about "trash"

Updated Aug 5, 2019

3.3
Waste Management CEO James C. Fish, Jr
James C. Fish, Jr
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours with zero advancement(in 81 reviews)

• "It really can be very simple, it is just trash after all(in 39 reviews)

Reviews about "trash"

Return to all Reviews

"Operator"

Current Employee - Heavy Equipment Operator in Fairburn, GA

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoy operating dozers and excavators. Keeps your mind working and improving my skill set is always a bonus

Cons

See all the c&d that comes in daily. Knowing the amount of trash we add to the environment

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Working here hands down is the best job

Waste Management2018-03-13
  2. "Run for your Life"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Waste Management full-time

Pros

Most of the team was amazing to work with.

Cons

The CSM has no respect for the team. There are hard working people in that department, but they get treated like trash.

Advice to Management

senior leadership needs to do an investigation on how that department is run.

Waste Management2019-08-05

"Good stable company with unstable management"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Health benefits, 401k, employee stock purchase plan, decent pay.

Cons

I was with Waste Management for almost 7 years and the only reason I did not make a career there was management. If there is a way to complicate a simple process, they will find it. It is almost like the job is too easy for them because the employees do all of the actual work that they have to figure out something to do to justify their position. So... processes that work and are efficient get tweaked and changed... until they are no longer efficient. Then they have to find a new solution for the problem they created. It really can be very simple, it is just trash after all. Where it gets complicated is the constant schemes to try and figure out how to overcharge the customers that will allow it. There is no fairness in how a lot of the processes go so everything is changing on a case by case basis. They will introduce new programs and methods for a particular task, ask for employee feedback and then not listen to it. They are also not a very progressive company. Everything they do is what has been done in corporate offices for the last 40 years.

Advice to Management

Simplify the process, focus on results and ethics not procedure. Allow for some flexibility when it comes to clocking in and out of work, try something progressive like employees working anywhere between 38-41 hours a week so they can manage their own time and not have to freak out about clocking in 3, 5 or even 10 minutes past their shift. Streamline the process so every employee, department and even customers... have to follow the same rules,

Waste Management2019-06-27
  4. "Waste Management"

Current Employee - Commercial Driver

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay and great benefits

Cons

Deal with weather, traffic, and trash

Waste Management2019-03-10
  5. "It stank"

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

Free Trash on every other Friday

Cons

Smelly Trash on every other Friday

Advice to Management

Clean up the trash on every other Friday

Waste Management2018-09-28
  6. "Treat salespeople like trash"

Current Employee - Field Sales

I have been working at Waste Management full-time

Pros

In the field sales role, you spend most of your time outside the office calling on new and/or existing customers which is great if you would prefer not to work in an office. The benefits are okay, but not as great as people make them sound.

Cons

The worst part of selling for Waste Management is that the company is continually looking for and implementing ways to reduce your commission. If a customer fails to pay their bill, they take it out of your commission AND they send the account to collections so they get their money twice! If a business closes and has to cancel their account, it comes out of your pay! They recently implemented a sales department to... manage trash brokers which is an easy source of income. That drastically reduces our opportunity to make sales. You can't help but wonder what scheme they will come up with next to take away new business opportunities or penalize you for things that you can't control. We are constantly having to deal with operational issues that affect our pay. Hourly drivers with poor and unprofessional attitudes can result in customers canceling their service. Long lead times for dumpster repairs and deliveries frustrate customers and we can't do anything about it. Many of the route managers have a, " why should I care about that?" mentality.

Advice to Management

The company needs to have much more accountability on the operations teams with respect to the impact they have on customer relationships. The company needs to rewrite the commission plans and actually demonstrate that they value their salespeople instead of looking for ways to punish them and reduce their pay.

Waste Management2018-10-03
  7. "Disturbing"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I have been working at Waste Management

Pros

Only pro is they transport trash for the community.

Cons

This company sickens me. They are against combat veterans and have the most unqualified employees I have ever saw. Their safety on the job site is very life threatening and horrifying. Almost saw someone get hit with a piece of machinery. Their organization is horrible if any at all. The management and recruiting team are mainly filled with liberals who are Obama supporters and would not hesitate to sell you out... or try to endure taking your freedom and gun rights away from you. Most of them also could not pass a drug test if conducted. Most of them use a wizzanator. Overall a disturbing environment. They sell trash to foreign companies polluting our oceanic bodies of water.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to fire current management and get the right professionals in to recreate a positive successful environment for the future of the company.

Waste Management2018-08-24
  8. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

great benefits, start out with sick time after your on the floor, friendly coworkers

Cons

no discount on trash, the system is the black and green screen for 2002

Advice to Management

We deserve a higher pay for the amount of work we do as a customer support

Waste Management2018-04-25

"Waste Management Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Worked there 12 years and they do have some ok benefits but in the end there is a reason managers only last 2 years.

Cons

No loyalty to there employees. They will work you like a dog and when they are done with you the throw you out like the trash they haul. Worked for them for 12 years never having an accident or missing a day. But when I had a one time disagreement with a new manager they lied and fired me without even asking my side of the story.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Don't talk the talk then NOT walk the walk.

Waste Management2018-04-28

"senior technician"

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

relaxed job environment and great benefits

Cons

you are working with trash. enough said

Advice to Management

give everyone a nice big raise to maintain employees

Waste Management2018-02-09