Waste Management "trash" Reviews | Glassdoor

Waste Management President and CEO James C. Fish, Jr
James C. Fish, Jr
  1. "Clerical"

I have been working at Waste Management

Pros

This is a great company to work for. Benefits and pay are top.

Cons

The smell of trash in trucks and landfills

Waste Management2016-04-08

"Treat employees like garbage"

Customer Service Representative in Blaine, MN

I worked at Waste Management for less than a year

Pros

Good pay. Good benefits once you are not contract.

Cons

Only hires through temp agency so therefore makes no effort to care or invest in new employees. They have a rigid attendance policy that does not care if you got permission to take a day off or are legitimately sick. Absent five days and you're out like yesterday's trash.

Advice to Management

Don't shoot yourself in the foot. Good employees get sick even within the "trial period" especially in the winter. Rethink your policy and treat employees, even contractual ones, like human beings instead of just an employee ID number.

Waste Management2016-03-10
  3. "Account manager"

I have been working at Waste Management

Pros

Professional people , good working conditions, fair management style, not a bad place to work

Cons

Pay structure, long work hours, limited upward opportunities, senior leadership from the trash side of the business. This can place enthusiasts on low profit high cost hauling routes. Limited meaningful development of technologies and new lines of business

Advice to Management

The company maybe too large to allow meaningful growth.

Waste Management2015-11-25

"Hopper"

Former Employee - Hopper in Walker, LA

I worked at Waste Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly People. Good Costumer Service.

Cons

Sometimes trash is late being picked up do to altercations

Advice to Management

keep communicated and Suggest new ideas for costumer service

Waste Management2015-10-31
  5. "Great Learning Experience"

Current Intern - Public Sector in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Waste Management for less than a year

Pros

Really let their interns take part and contribute to the workplace, gave a good amount of responsibility, listened to ideas but gave plenty of direction if needed. Tasked interns with a variety of jobs so you could say you had experience in several different pieces of the workplace. Genuinely interested in personal development and interests, interested in hiring interns after graduation. For the overall company: really committed to green practices. Willing to spend tons of money on not-yet-profitable solutions to environmental problems. Very interested in customer service and education.

Cons

Semi-repetitive work sometimes, some amount of "gross" tasks (it is a trash company...)

Advice to Management

Keep listening to young minds, you give us hope while we help to improve!

Waste Management2015-09-18
  6. "customer service"

Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Waste Management for more than a year

Pros

Laid back environment, unique shift hours, easy training, good people work here that are supportive if you can deal with the job itself

Cons

Customer service in general is always rough, but this one is not as bad as most but still you get the callers that think they are your only site. You find out quickly how serious people take trash, stuck in a cubie and on the phone all day is what kills me

Advice to Management

Need to stop with the scripts, customers really hate that. It makes reps sound like robots and its not personal and doesn't make them feel comfortable. Pay could definitely be higher which would help with workers attitude and moral

Waste Management2015-08-24

"driver"

Garbage Truck Driver in Miramar, FL

I have been working at Waste Management

Pros

Great pay And that's about it.

Cons

Hiring managers who have never driven a truck or have a CDL license. And if you haven't been in the trash business it's hard to come in and become a manager everyone needs to start from the bottom. Senior management doesn't know whats going on drom site to site

Advice to Management

Hire from within. Wise up the company is going down

Waste Management2015-08-19

"Short sighted"

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

Pay and benefits are fairly good

Cons

Look on their website and see how many driver positions they have open then ask yourself, how can the company provide the service if they don't have enough people to pick up the trash? The upper managements idea of making money seems to be by eliminating positions.

Advice to Management

Start over, fresh perspecive

Waste Management2015-09-03

"Dead end call center"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wixom, MI

I have been working at Waste Management full-time

Pros

Decent break room and free coffee. My co workers are friendly. Weekends off and you have a flexible shift. You get paid money to put up with angry customers. You learn a lot about trash and waste.

Cons

Working in customer service/sales most of my life this company only objective is to make money by price gouging customers and locking them into longterm contracts. Not to mention adding unessarry Extra fees and yearly increases to the bill. You would be upset too. Waste management is all about maximizing profits for its stock holders and getting the most out their employees for the least amount of money. At least pay your employees what their worth. Most of my co-workers are college educated and with above average intelligence and very talented people. How they ended up in a low paying dead end job I don't know? Due to the economy it seems many people has to scale down to this job until they find something better. Most people come in and try to tranfer into other departments or bolt soon as a better opportunity comes along. Or remain trapped. I basically sat in a cubical and had to put up with angry rude customs all day. You have to really take multi tasking to the next level working with 10 different computer programs at once including operating systems while talking/typing super fast and answering calls back to back. It can be stressful at first. It's a skill that comes in time. You can't even leave the building for lunch because they give you only 30 mins. For the amount of abuse and workload given at this job isn't worth the low hourly wage. Nobody cares about providing quality or focusing on good customer service here. It's about hitting your numbers and getting the customer off the phone to take the next call so your numbers look good. It's a call center where irate customers call in to scream and let out all their frustrations for being over charged or not having their trash picked up on time. You have to smile and be a door mat basically. I had to learn about 1000 new acronyms to input new tickets and cases. Reps do it all for a low wage. The DOS system is outdated and the sales force program wastes too much time and adds busy work while trying to close a sale. Don't even think to ask a manager for any help because they will roll their eyes at you or make some smart comment and try to avoid you if you need assistance. It's better to tell the customer what they want to hear and take the next call. I had no patients to wait for a manager to come help me. So I stopped asking for help. They just don't care. All the employees are also graded several core factors from talk time, hold times to adherence. Your a slave that is tied down in a cube until the end of your shift. If your one minute late logging on into the phone system you are screwed. Management will say something to you. You have 20 different passwords that you need to log into different programs. Then you have unessarry emails constantly being sent that need to be completed including additional on going usless computer training quizzes and other usless mind numbing work. After a while you get used to all this madness and you are bear after each day. I see it in the faces of all my peers. They are exhausted and count down the seconds to go home. I felt like a caged animal being and trapped half the time with a head set infused over my head 8 hours a day. Its not healthy to sit for so many hours. Yes no job is perfect I get it. This customer service job is not for everyone but if your desperate then I guess it's ok short term. Positive note: You do learn a lot about waste and trash. But make no mistake about it. It's a dead end job and by the looks of all my peers it's clear no one really wants to be there especially the managers. Most of them are burned out and it's obvious they don't want to be there. But hey it's a job right?

Advice to Management

At least try to be useful and help others who want to grow with the company. Act like you somewhat care about your job and show some passion to those who are making a honest effort. Be a leader and lead rather than give one word answers and walk away just because you don't want be bothered. Please be upfront during the interview process on the real job duites involved such the matrix, numbers to hit, expectations, turn over rates, commissions structure Ect I would have never accepted this job if I had know the truth up front and taken another job offer.

Waste Management2015-06-25
  10. "customer service"

Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

fast pace, super co worker, great manager, challenge, room for advancement.

Cons

It was a waste hauling company and you had to depend on driver to make sure trash was removed from a customer home, once u spoke with customer and said it would be done, but sometimes task was not completed.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees and find out what make the job run right and use some of their input.

Waste Management2015-04-24