Watco Companies Reviews in Pittsburg, KS | Glassdoor

Pittsburg, KS

4.1
Rick Webb

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • the managers really care about there team members (in 5 reviews)

• Good co-workers for as long as they last (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No support from upper management always sending you on a wild goose chase but ever being there when you need them covering there own butts (in 8 reviews)

• Long commute, long hours, lack of communication (in 4 reviews)

1. "Manager-corporate office"

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburg, KS
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburg, KS

I have been working at Watco Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Endless opportunities for growth, Great benefits, matching 401K plan at 50%, bonus opportunities based on performance, get paid while you learn the business

Cons

Fast paced, ever changing environment. No complaints from me. Very solid family company to work for who appreciates their team

Advice to Management

Keep believing in your Team and reward with solid bonuses

"Administrative Assistsnt"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburg, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburg, KS

I worked at Watco Companies (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers were the best part of working there. team member supports and and over suggestions to each other. Work on your own.

Cons

Brought in upper management from outside company, many who had no experience within industry. It is a matter of good old boys club. Everyone is afraid of losing job.

Advice to Management

Stop bringing in outsiders and advance those who have dedicated many years of service to the company.

Jan 9, 2017 – SVP People Services

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us your feedback. If you'd be willing to help us continue to get better, please email us at peopleservices@watocompanies.com, as we'd appreciate any... More

3. "A good company with a lack of mature business management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburg, KS

I have been working at Watco Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting environment with a good combination of work/life balance. In many ways an innovative environment with an old school feel. The customer is first, and the company lives by that motto.

Cons

With the old school feel sometimes comes decisions are not based on full evidence or realistic expectations which gets both in the way of possible innovations and long term sustainable management.

Advice to Management

Work to continue the excellent environment, the fact that the company is both fast paced and constantly moving forward for customers has contributed both the a great live for the employees but also a exciting opportunity for growth in customer base in an industry which is mostly full of money losing propositions over the last 10 years. On the other hand stop the pettiness in knee jerk decisions.

Oct 31, 2016 – SVP People Services

We appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

"Benefits Managaer"

Former Employee - Benefits Manager in Pittsburg, KS
    Former Employee - Benefits Manager in Pittsburg, KS

Pros

I worked at Watco as the Benefits Manager for a little over 2 years, and I have to say that Watco, as a whole, is an incredible organization. Watco goes to great lengths to treat every Team Member as a family member, and is always striving to do the right thing in every aspect inside and outside of work. Watco is one of those few remaining companies in the US today that will pay you a fair dollar for your hard work. The harder you work for them, the more they will recognize and reward you and take care of you. Its not often that you can find this anymore, as most companies just consider you a number, however, Watco considers you as a contributor to yours and theirs success from the lowest to the highest level. If your willing to invest in them, then will invest in your future.

I truly enjoyed working at Watco, and would strongly recommend Watco to anyone thinking about applying here. I know there are a few negatives on Glassdoor about Watco, but my experience was a polar opposite from the rest of the reviews on here. The individuals I met and worked with were genuine people that I will forever keep in contact with.

Lastly, Watco has a limitless amount of possibilities for any individual to grow. There is no where but up for your career goals here. Even if you want to move into a different sector of the company, Watco will do its best to get you there.

Just as an example of how great Watco is, I notified them I would be leaving the company, and my new role would be completely different than what I was doing for Watco. Then, Watco decided to spend my last two days working for them on training me for my new position with another company. They knew that my new position would require me to hire new Team Members, so they allowed me to sit in on some interviews as well as run some interviews with them. Honestly, what company does that? They were still investing in me until the minute I left the office. These are truly great people here, and anyone seeking employment with them, would be making a good decision.

Cons

There are no really big cons to working here. if there was one, I would say the amount of work that is put on your plate. However, as stated before. hard work does not go unrecognized with Watco. The harder you work, the more you will be rewarded.

Sep 19, 2016 – SVP People Services

Thank you for taking the time to provide your experience at Watco. Best of luck in your new adventure.

5. "MOW Kansas"

Current Employee - Track Inspector in Pittsburg, KS
    Current Employee - Track Inspector in Pittsburg, KS

Pros

outstanding growth opportunity. the managers really care about there team members!

Cons

equipment is outdated. Tools are outdated. could pay better

Advice to Management

Support, Support, Support

6. "From A Happy Team Member!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburg, KS
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburg, KS

I have been working at Watco Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Corporate infrastructure needs some work but the powers that be realize this. They are striving daily to strengthen back-office support. The company is working daily to create a better atmosphere for those of us "boots on the ground" team members. Accountability starts at the top of the management chain. They are a self-insured company and have provided us with a more than comparable health-care benefit package. As of this year it is now available for same-sex marriage couples. There are many more things I could list that have changed since I started there. I've been with Watco over 5 years. I've worked hard, been recognized, and been rewarded.

Cons

Work place structures could be nicer. I've been to a few railroad properties and some of the depots could be replaces and or updated. My building is old!

Advice to Management

Keep working the plan you have laid out. It''s working.

"Opportunity Rich"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburg, KS

Pros

This company offers anyone who is willing the opportunity to have the career of their dreams. I have never seen a place where you are in control of your own destiny and the management team actually helps you get there. No other company in Pittsburg, KS offers that! Heck even some bigger city jobs don't offer that. At Watco, people are not just a number, and great amounts of time and effort are made by the management team to ensure everyone is afforded the same opportunities. It is up to you to engage management. It is a 2-way street.

Cons

Fellow team members think because of tenure, not effort, they should automatically be promoted and when someone with less tenure comes in and strives to learn and wants a career, and stretches their skill sets, they are belittled along with management when promoted. Small town drama, gossip and jealousy in Pittsburg. All this whining about who gets promoted and who doesn't, with speculation that everyone knows is a lie (eg. If you read one of the terrible management bashes it talks about management's reaction to glass door) If you really think what you write on glass door has anything to do with decisions that are made in any company, you are more ignorant than your comments make you out to be. Stay at home at watch soap operas, because you apparently think that is how real life is.

Advice to Management

Either 1: Relocate to a bigger city so you can get quality people with lives instead of small town gossip mongers who have nothing better to do.
    Or 2: Set expectations that anyone who wants to be apart of Watco quit bashing Watco's management. Believe it or not, it puts Watco (in general) in a bad light, but some of these small town folk are too unprofessional to see that. They were offered a job and accepted it and continue to show up and work for their paycheck (apparently for many many years), but think that it is so terrible. If they were professionals and it was so terrible, why don't they go be happy somewhere else? You need people that spend their time to be part of a team and less about time about negative belly-aching; because it is a professional team that makes the company grow.

"this place is a joke"

Former Employee - Operator in Pittsburg, KS
    Former Employee - Operator in Pittsburg, KS

I worked at Watco Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pros- well let me see I can't think of any off hand I don't think Rick Webb couldn't think of any

Cons

extremely high turn over company wide from top to bottom. 5-6 different managers in the last 3 years. below industry pay aging third or fourth hand equipment and the list goes on and on

Advice to Management

File a petition to the suface board to dissolve and defunk

"Awful management"

Former Employee - Revenue Account in Pittsburg, KS
    Former Employee - Revenue Account in Pittsburg, KS

I worked at Watco Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work when we had it was productive and fun

Cons

management sucked
    pay sucked
    drama
    they talk about treating their people well but they don't.

10. "Lots of Growing Pains for Little Payoff for the Workers"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Pittsburg, KS
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Pittsburg, KS

I have been working at Watco Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of really great people that work at this company. My experience with management is positive, people seem to be willing to help where they can.

Cons

Employees are generally kept in the dark about any negative changes that are happening to the company. Execs paint a pretty picture of the growth and talk a big game about being family oriented. Starting vacation is one week (!) and there are no such thing as sick days or personal days. Moving forward into any sort of significant managerial position depends greatly on who you know or what your last name is. After working here for a few years, you come to find that several people in higher managerial positions are all related somehow to the folks in the Exec offices, no matter what their professional skill set may be. Recently, there were layoffs throughout the company that were only discussed in a round-about way by the CEO after three weeks of people being laid off, and the reason given for layoffs was to increase the bottom line while all managers have purchase cards and cars and upper management is always flying the private jet to wherever. Communication of the goals and direction of the company is a joke. There are quarterly Town Hall Meetings, but communication is not open. There is no comfortable way to communicate with upper management that employees are disgruntled. Pay at the corporate office as well as operations/field jobs are extremely low compared to the industry. Many operations people start here to gain skills and move on to real pay at Class 1 Railroads, etc, and I can't say I blame them. The max raise given without an increase in title change is 3% per year of current salary/compensation. There is a lot of turnover in the field due to the higher payoff at larger railroads. The company is growing at a faster rate than ever, but the infrastructure is not in place to keep up with the growth. Equipment and tools in the field are all very old and close to if not over end of life. More and more work is put on people without the resources to keep up, and that will never be the fault of upper management.

Advice to Management

Read the reviews of the company and look at them seriously. There are a lot of the same "Cons" on this page, ie, high turnover, low compensation, poor communication, and growing corporate greed. Focus on sustainable growth and make sure that the people that are out on the ground making you the money are well taken care of and feel confident in the company. At this point, I think several employees have lost trust in upper management and the future of the company.