Found 245 of over 258 reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "good benefits too" (in 22 reviews)
- "Good people to work with" (in 15 reviews)
- "The pay is good if you work contracted in one of the refineries." (in 14 reviews)
- "Good team members most people are friendly." (in 9 reviews)
- "When there is no barges then it's laid back in the shade doing nothing easy money and the crew are all good guys that got each other's backs" (in 6 reviews)
- "low pay no overtimes and bad management" (in 23 reviews)
- "Upper management has lost touch with their sites and only concerned with spending." (in 11 reviews)
- "6 different managers in the last 3 years." (in 6 reviews)
- "Long hours, but it is railroading afterall" (in 6 reviews)
- "Bonus programs are given and taken away without warning and raises are low." (in 3 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Watco Companies and is not affected by filters.
- 5.0Sep 17, 2023Locomotive Engineer/ConductorCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearMemphis, TN
With my experience at WATCO they definitely care about you and your success. I've had hard times while working for WATCO and my manager has been more than helpful and understanding. I put in the hard work to climb up the ladder and the company saw that and moved me up to a higher position quick
The only downside for me is at the site I work at. It has a very high turnover rate. It is more so because a lot of the people that hire on haven't had a job that requires a lot of physical and mental labor.Watco Companies Response2mo
Thanks for sharing your feedback. It's good to see that you're receiving support from your local management team.
- 4.0Oct 17, 2023Heavy Machinery OperatorCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearPasadena, TX
Good Pay and Opportunities if you ask for them. The work environment is nice too. No micro-managing and you can work at a safe pace. Safety is taken very seriously.
The Ups and Downs in this business. Some weeks you get 50 hours and others you might only get 20.Watco Companies Response2mo
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Appreciate your comment on safety. Absolutely a critical value. The transportation industry can definitely have it's busy and slow seasons, but understand the importance of consistent hours for the team. Thanks again for sharing.
- 3.0Nov 16, 2023OporatorCurrent Employee
Opportunity to gain good experience in a wide range of things in the transportation industry.
Too many people with upper management jobs that don’t do a whole lot.
- 5.0Oct 11, 2023DirectorCurrent Employee, more than 8 yearsPittsburg, KS
You are valued as a part of the team Safety is the most important thing Your input is valued
I don't have any issues or cons to report.Watco Companies Response2mo
Thank you for sharing your experience. It's good to see that Watco's values (valuing people and safety) are listed as some of your "pros".
- 5.0Oct 12, 2023Site EHS ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearNewark, NJ
Good Working Culture and Great support from Management
Occasionally Monotony and Day to day office issuesWatco Companies Response2mo
Appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Watco. Happy to hear that you have a good culture and support from your leadership team.
- 5.0Oct 11, 2023Operations AccountantCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsOverland Park, KS
Incredible people, understanding managers, opportunities to grow and learn, and a fun atmosphere.
No cons to mention here.Watco Companies Response2mo
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at Watco. It's nice to hear that you have a great team of people around you.
- 1.0Oct 5, 2023Revenue Account SpecialistFormer EmployeePittsburg, KS
Do not have anything positive to say.
Unusual processes, horrible software, position is basic data entry invoicing.Watco Companies Response2mo
It looks like you've moved on from Watco, so best of luck as you continue on in your career. If you're ever interested in sharing your ideas for improvement, feel free to email me at email@example.com.
- 4.0Jun 7, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee
Getting better at the no a-hole rule; most of the organization is cohesive and finds ways to be successful together
Lack of focus or lack of transparency around development/talent planning across org. I don’t think it’s intentional, just hasn’t felt like a focus with how quickly the company has grown.Watco Companies Response4mo
Thanks for your feedback and agree that we need to continue focusing on team member development/succession planning.
- 1.0Aug 1, 2023Train YardFormer Employee, less than 1 yearJunction City, KS
they give you money at least
the single worst job. I have ever had in my entire life. It the only job where I have been yelled at for not walking to the bathroom fast enough (and I was in the military for 16 years) . My supervisor would threaten to fire through-out the day. This is the only job I didn't give a two weeks notice to when I quit.Watco Companies Response4mo
If you'd ever be interested in sharing more about your concerns, please reach out (firstname.lastname@example.org). I'm not certain what Watco location that you were a part of based on the provided information, but would like to understand your concerns to help us continue to improve.
Watco Companies Reviews FAQs
Watco Companies has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 258 reviews left anonymously by employees. 71% of employees would recommend working at Watco Companies to a friend and 59% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 9% over the last 12 months.
71% of Watco Companies employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Watco Companies 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.7 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.