Waterford Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dustin Heuston

1. "Waterford UPSTART Internship"

Pros

-Paid
    -Most interns come from BYU, BYU-I, UofU, or Utah State and everyone is super friendly
    -Opportunity for plenty of hours
    -Opportunity to travel all over Utah
    -Sufficient training and clear objectives

Cons

-Sometimes you'll have to work weird hours especially if you are on a traveling team
    -The work gets very monotonous by the end of the summer
    -Not my best paid internship, but definitely fair pay
    -Does not offer a path to full-time employment after graduation
    -Sometimes upper management come off as intimidating/mean

Advice to Management

Upper management should get to know interns better at the start of the summer so that they do not come off as intimidating/mean down the road.

2. "Great Mission, Great People"

I worked at Waterford Institute full-time

Pros

Great mission with some very talented people who want to make a difference in early education.

Cons

Just the usual stuff you'll find at most companies.

3. "Be prepared to have lots of free time"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Waterford Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company, good culture, great benefits, and when the work is there it is good

Cons

Departments don't necessarily get along from time to time, organizational structure is confusing and the product itself does have issues

5. "Long time employee"

I have been working at Waterford Institute full-time

Pros

I have worked for Waterford for 10 years. I have enjoyed working with many hundreds of individuals over that time. Every person that contributes to the passion and mission of Waterford has been a joy to work with. I have been fortunate to be a part of it for so long.

Cons

Over the years there have been many changes in focus and direction for the company. Operating a not-for-profit is not easy - especially during a recessed economy. Being reliant upon the whims and budgets of various educational organizations that are our consumers is a constant challenge.

"Management is very flexible with schedules, compassionate with employees."

Current Employee - Certified Medication Aid in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Certified Medication Aid in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Waterford Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like working here for the location, flexibility of schedule, and growth potential within the company. Opportunities for growth, leadership positions, and opportunities to build relationships with family members and the community.

Cons

Benefit package is very limited. Need to be able to access PTO before the one year probation period is over, have a waiting period of 90 days would be beneficial.

Advice to Management

Include a 90 day review with raise potential and have a broader benefit package that includes, dental, vision, and tuition reimbursement.

7. "Compensation is competitive and I love the people I work with"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Waterford Institute full-time

Pros

Working at Waterford has been great! I first worked as an intern for 2 years and then was promoted to a marketing position the following year. Since working here, I have had 4 direct bosses: Claudia, Ann, Taylor, and Diane. They have all been great to work for and I have really respected them.
    I wasn't planning on staying here after my internship, but I really believed in the company and I have felt like they have been completely honest and fair with me.

Cons

The break room needs a sink. :)

Advice to Management

The higher up management does a great job running the business, but I think they should try getting to know ALL the employees a little more. (I don't really know them that well)

8. "It's All About The Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT

Pros

Waterford's mission to ensure a great start for every child is one that is felt across the organization. Its people are passionate about what they do and genuinely care about making a difference in the world.

It's a small organization that has gone through quite a bit of transition the past few years and has many of the stresses that one would equate with a non profit in the edtech space. Despite that, it's a great place to be able to have an impact every day and to be able to make changes that help direct the company on the right path.

Leadership is friendly and genuinely cares about the people working for them and the executives are very accessible to the broader organization.

Benefit package is fair and you cannot beat the location with the mountains right outside the window.

Cons

Being a non profit means that funding is always tight and so many of the perks that are common place in tech companies today are non existent. It's a humble office with the focus on the work instead of around creating high quality work spaces.

There is a lack of alignment in terms of priorities and direction and a hesitation around decision making at the executive level which makes it difficult to know what's most important at times.

Advice to Management

Alignment of priorities and goals is absolutely critical for the success of any organization and Waterford is no exception. Leadership must find a way to act as a cohesive unit so that conflicts in priority are minimized and we are all working towards the same end goals.

9. "Great Vision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Waterford Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work with passionate people who care about the company's goals. The company is fairly small which gives you an opportunity to really influence decisions and make an impact, if that's what you want. There has been a lot of opportunities for me to cross-train and get a fuller picture of all facets of early learning software development.

The Sandy office is on the school campus (which is beautiful), and employees get a discount on the cafeteria during the school year, which is great for cheap lunches.

I believe that Waterford truly cares about its employees. The founder likes to walk around and talk to everyone and all of the VPs are approachable. I feel like people know me and care about what I think.

Cons

There's a lack of decisiveness with the top leaders, which leads to the loudest voice in the room getting what they want rather than going with an informed decision. The company sometimes feels like it's going in five directions at once. It takes a lot of effort to get everyone on the same page, and it feels like that effort only comes from the bottom rather than the top. Sometimes it feels like true communication only happens when something is overheard by accident.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customers and make decisions based on that feedback. We need to balance making the "next big thing" with the reality of what we can make and do and what people need from us.

"Amazing company with incredible values"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT

I worked at Waterford Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I truly loved my time and experience at the Waterford Institute. It almost felt unreal, but everyone's true intentions are revolved around the children and learning. It was incredible to see and be a part of that. They are an extremely family oriented company - and the only one I can honestly say puts 'the family first'. They worked with me and my schedule in ways that I cannot see anyone else providing, and I am so thankful for that. My time at Waterford will always be cherished and remembered, and one day when the timing is better, I may find my way back.
    To date - they have the best benefits I've encountered, all starting day 1. Incredible retirement benefits.

Cons

I didnt experience anything that I would consider a con.

Advice to Management

I think it would be nice to have more interactions with all of the teams just to have a better understanding of what everyone is doing and to appreciate where their time is spent.

11. "Highly creative products backed by great research, watch out for layoffs"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Sandy, UT

Pros

Overall Waterford has some great educational products and very talented staff. The management has been in the industry for some time and the research behind the products appears solid.

Cons

The top down communication could be better. The company has had its ups and downs financially and has had periodic layoffs, one of which affected me.