Waterford Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Management"

Current Employee - Administrative in Taylorsville, UT
    Current Employee - Administrative in Taylorsville, UT

I have been working at Waterford Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My manager has been extremely nurturing and helped my development grow very much over the years. I've been guided toward excellence and constant improvement and accountability WITHOUT being micro-managed, which is rare! My manager watches closely for hidden and not-so-hidden talents, abilities and interests in the employees and once someone demonstrates responsibility and effort, my manager provides more opportunities for that employee to grow further.

The company in general works really hard to take care of the employees. The benefits package is outstanding!

Cons

The workload can be heavy but I'd certainly rather be busy than bored! And I know the work I'm doing makes a significant and lasting difference for the better in people's lives, which is really important to me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. "Good company"

Pros

Recently bought out, but a great product and kind bosses

Cons

Taxes on a 1099 make the salary not as competitive for freelancers

3. "Flexible hours and competitive pay"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Waterford Institute as an intern

Pros

Extremely flexible hours
    Great management; so far I have loved all two of my bosses Diane and Mark.
    Works around my school schedule
    Path to full/part-time employment

Cons

Needs a break room.

Advice to Management

Get to know all of the employees better.

4. "Professional Services"

I have been working at Waterford Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great non-profit mission driven organization that is truly dedicated toward helping children succeed.

Cons

Lack of standardization across groups makes communication difficult at times

Advice to Management

Work together to ensure great communication

5. "Waterford UPSTART Internship"

Pros

-Paid
    -Most interns come from BYU, BYU-I, UofU, or Utah State and everyone is super friendly
    -Opportunity for plenty of hours
    -Opportunity to travel all over Utah
    -Sufficient training and clear objectives

Cons

-Sometimes you'll have to work weird hours especially if you are on a traveling team
    -The work gets very monotonous by the end of the summer
    -Not my best paid internship, but definitely fair pay
    -Does not offer a path to full-time employment after graduation
    -Sometimes upper management come off as intimidating/mean

Advice to Management

Upper management should get to know interns better at the start of the summer so that they do not come off as intimidating/mean down the road.

6. "Great Mission, Great People"

I worked at Waterford Institute full-time

Pros

Great mission with some very talented people who want to make a difference in early education.

Cons

Just the usual stuff you'll find at most companies.

7. "Long time employee"

I have been working at Waterford Institute full-time

Pros

I have worked for Waterford for 10 years. I have enjoyed working with many hundreds of individuals over that time. Every person that contributes to the passion and mission of Waterford has been a joy to work with. I have been fortunate to be a part of it for so long.

Cons

Over the years there have been many changes in focus and direction for the company. Operating a not-for-profit is not easy - especially during a recessed economy. Being reliant upon the whims and budgets of various educational organizations that are our consumers is a constant challenge.

"Management is very flexible with schedules, compassionate with employees."

Current Employee - Certified Medication Aid in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Certified Medication Aid in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Waterford Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like working here for the location, flexibility of schedule, and growth potential within the company. Opportunities for growth, leadership positions, and opportunities to build relationships with family members and the community.

Cons

Benefit package is very limited. Need to be able to access PTO before the one year probation period is over, have a waiting period of 90 days would be beneficial.

Advice to Management

Include a 90 day review with raise potential and have a broader benefit package that includes, dental, vision, and tuition reimbursement.

9. "It's All About The Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT

Pros

Waterford's mission to ensure a great start for every child is one that is felt across the organization. Its people are passionate about what they do and genuinely care about making a difference in the world.

It's a small organization that has gone through quite a bit of transition the past few years and has many of the stresses that one would equate with a non profit in the edtech space. Despite that, it's a great place to be able to have an impact every day and to be able to make changes that help direct the company on the right path.

Leadership is friendly and genuinely cares about the people working for them and the executives are very accessible to the broader organization.

Benefit package is fair and you cannot beat the location with the mountains right outside the window.

Cons

Being a non profit means that funding is always tight and so many of the perks that are common place in tech companies today are non existent. It's a humble office with the focus on the work instead of around creating high quality work spaces.

There is a lack of alignment in terms of priorities and direction and a hesitation around decision making at the executive level which makes it difficult to know what's most important at times.

Advice to Management

Alignment of priorities and goals is absolutely critical for the success of any organization and Waterford is no exception. Leadership must find a way to act as a cohesive unit so that conflicts in priority are minimized and we are all working towards the same end goals.

10. "Great Vision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Waterford Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work with passionate people who care about the company's goals. The company is fairly small which gives you an opportunity to really influence decisions and make an impact, if that's what you want. There has been a lot of opportunities for me to cross-train and get a fuller picture of all facets of early learning software development.

The Sandy office is on the school campus (which is beautiful), and employees get a discount on the cafeteria during the school year, which is great for cheap lunches.

I believe that Waterford truly cares about its employees. The founder likes to walk around and talk to everyone and all of the VPs are approachable. I feel like people know me and care about what I think.

Cons

There's a lack of decisiveness with the top leaders, which leads to the loudest voice in the room getting what they want rather than going with an informed decision. The company sometimes feels like it's going in five directions at once. It takes a lot of effort to get everyone on the same page, and it feels like that effort only comes from the bottom rather than the top. Sometimes it feels like true communication only happens when something is overheard by accident.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customers and make decisions based on that feedback. We need to balance making the "next big thing" with the reality of what we can make and do and what people need from us.