Waterloo Community School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "ISS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at Waterloo Community School District (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working for district you get our summers off, week of spring break ,the medical is good , my co-worker are great to be around and the kids are great.

Cons

I have not ran into any down falls of the district since I have been here.

2. "Never Enough ..."

Former Contractor - Elementary Teacher in Waterloo, IA
    Former Contractor - Elementary Teacher in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Waterloo Community School District as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Obviously, the students... especially those who are respectful and genuinely want & are excited to learn. When these children have a breakthrough, the look on their faces is priceless. The daily hugs & smiles knowing that you have done something wonderful for them is all the reassurance you need to continue on.

Cons

LONG hours; they say to enjoy our families & live our lives however there is NEVER enough time at school to get anything done, especially when 2 days are taken up by useless PLC's. Teachers are basically forced to work week nights and/or weekends if they want to be caught up and/or organized. No matter how hard you work or how many hours or dollars you give, it never felt like it was enough. My principal did not particularly care for me and it was very evident. I rarely, if ever received compliments and/or positives.

Advice to Management

More planning time for the teachers. The 2 days for PLC's that aren't always productive just make me more upset. I hate wasted time; what little time we do have is so precious! I know Cedar Falls still have their Wednesday early dismissals which are reserved just for those PLC and professional development meetings. Their planning time is still considered sacred. Waterloo should take a page from their book if they wish to retain good teachers.

3. "Paraeducator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

Pros

Working with the kids and the staff.

Cons

Poor pay, and no room for growth.

Advice to Management

Increase para pay.

4. "Secretary"

I have been working at Waterloo Community School District full-time

Pros

Friendly and healthy working environment

Cons

If you enjoy working with children you wont get much of that here.

5. "Little to No Support for Employees"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Waterloo Community School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Colleagues were generally easy to get along with.

Cons

Engages in one-size-fits-all solutions to problems. Seeks input from community and employees and then does what they were going to do all along. Works harder at making themselves look good than actually being good.

Advice to Management

Worry less about the image of the district and focus on actually making great schools.

6. "Decent School District, Challenging Times"

I have been working at Waterloo Community School District full-time

Pros

Support for fine arts. Excellent K-5 facilities. Decent pay. Summers off! Diverse student population.

Cons

State mandates, district mandates, testing, lack of building-wide and district-wide discipline systems. Students from poverty come with a lot of challenges.

Advice to Management

Listen to teachers and parents more, and fight back against state mandates like testing that aren't helping! More data isn't always the answer...