Waterton Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
David Schwartz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The pay is decent and benefits are good (in 4 reviews)

• If you can somehow manage the miracle of working a 40 hour week, the pay is great (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance but then again no hotel has that (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to hear or want to listen to their lower employees (in 6 reviews)

1. "Has good insurance and benefits"

Current Employee - Leasing Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Leasing Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Waterton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, commission, good team and management, start with 19 days per year PTO

Cons

Low base pay, but commissions even it out. Hours are 9-6, but I would prefer earlier start and end times.

"Proceed with Caution"

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Waterton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The intent is there, and you can sense a genuine care for the employees—but actually executing is the problem. If you can somehow manage the miracle of working a 40 hour week, the pay is great.

Cons

PTO is accrued at a great rate, but you will never have time to use it because the work life balance is so poor. And when you do have vacation, your time away is not respected and you are constantly bothered and expected to be on email. Company turnover is increasing, yet nothing is changing. Upper management and Senior Leadership are more concerned with the bottom line than the toll it takes for their employees to reach it. Poor decisions on operations side and acquisitions team lead to the trickle down effect on site. Offices are understaffed, maintenance is overworked, and it takes entirely too many steps to do anything due to the number of systems that must be used. The on-boarding process and lack of training is truly concerning. You will be thrown out and left to survive—sink or swim. Training through online courses such as Grace Hill are not productive and people do not learn from them. There should be dedicated peer trainers for every position and people should feel supported every step of the way. Senior Leadership should also watch how they speak “at” those onsite. We are made to feel like we work for them, vs with them. We should feel like we are a team, all working towards one goal. Emails should never be sent to adults in all caps or bold and underlined. It is disrespectful and demeaning. All departments should support each other. I should not be made to feel as if I am bothering someone when I reach out to accounting for help. Aren’t we all working for the same company? Accounting should actually thank us Community Managers. After we have to set up vendors in Yardi and Compliance Depot, we then have to create the PO, scan in the invoice, sync the invoice to the PO, and then approve the invoice for processing. By the time we have spent hours paying bills, what is left? Clicking print for the check? It’s absurd. Offices are open on holidays: 4th of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day, MLK, etc.

Advice to Management

Listen to your teams on site. And don’t just say you’re listening. Actually listen and act. Stop being reactive and start being proactive. You will continue to run of talented individuals by being stubborn and arrogant. Staff your communities according to their needs and stop trying to skate by with the bare minimum. The reliance on temp agencies to staff teams must seize. Invest time and money during the on-boarding process to truly train each and every employee with one on one attention in EVERY position, and people will feel valued. We are the hands and feet of the company. It’s a shame that Waterton is failing to execute on something so simple. Ensure that Regional Managers know how to complete the functions they are requiring of their teams. They cannot teach what they do not know. Review the rental rates at your properties and what competitors are doing to incentivize their employees. Employees that live onsite are often called upon at all hours of the night, are constantly working even when off, and benefit the property greatly. That work should be appreciated by ensuring that it is financially beneficial to live onsite. There should never be a time where an employee is paying more for rent than a resident or an employee can not afford to live onsite.

Take care of your people, and your people will take care of you. No, I am not interested in speaking to HR about my concerns. Just fix the common sense issues. Less talk and conference calls and more action.

"Its a decent job... a lot of employees."

Current Employee - Maintenance in Cicero, IL
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Cicero, IL

I have been working at Waterton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full time 40 hours a week paid holidays vacation sick days and personal days. Offer overtime when needed. Decent insurance provided.

Cons

No way to get raises without going thru the union school. Everything is based on seniority... so if you want to move up you have to wait your turn in line.

"Leasing Consultant"

I worked at Waterton full-time

Pros

Great management, at the time I reported to Matthew Mehon. He was a phenomenal manager.

Cons

Nothing negative to say, I enjoyed my time there.

5. "Server/Bartender"

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Waterton full-time

Pros

Benefits 401k hotel discount meal discounts

Cons

Lack of management supervision.Employees ran the place and most of kitchen help had drug and alcohol issues. Cooks would take breaks and come back drunk smelling of liquor. Screaming and swearing at employees was a normal on a daily basis.The only reason the long term employees stay is because they are stealing the place blind. Water on get smart install some cameras and get your mgmt on track with inventory???

Advice to Management

Work harder. Spend sometime re-evauating your staff instead of smoking most of your shift.

"Good Company to work for"

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Westminster, CO

I worked at Waterton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have good people. People who care about each other and help each other out.

Cons

none that I can think of

"Great location"

Pros

Great water views , competitive pricing , great sense of community. The renovations are beautiful and the residents love it

Cons

None that I can think of off the top of my head. Management does what they can with their resources

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work ! Excellence is the name of the game! Sky is the limit

8. "Excellent Company"

I have been working at Waterton full-time

Pros

Fun place to work at

Cons

No cons unless you mind working after hours or on weekends sometimes

9. "Growing company with great values"

I worked at Waterton full-time

Pros

A company on the grow with a great mission statement and a wonderful corporate team that truly cares for you.

Cons

As a smaller company in the hospitality industry, some processes may not be technologically up to date as other companies.

Advice to Management

Continue to take care of your fellow co-workers at a high level so that they take care of your guests.

Waterton Response

Sep 9, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it! As we continue to grow our hospitality platform we will continue to reinvest in it and improve our technology and other offerings. If you have specific... More

10. "Feeling The Love"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Waterton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment. You have a sense of self worth and personal pride from superiors. Up front and forth coming about expectations regarding employment.

Cons

None so far, been with them 16 months!

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Waterton Response

Sep 9, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for your feedback! Keep up the great work in LA!